2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 4:12 AM by on hold

Can anyone help?

on hold

Have a new laptop running windows 7 had Adobe reader, probably updated since buying computer in April. Began to have issues opeining files, now won't open Acobe program or files, been in contact with Adobe-given two solutions that did not work.

Issue: when trying to open Adobe program or any files with Adobe get this:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader\9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe,    Application requests Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

Then it closes

Solutions offfered to fix problem, but unsuccessful:

1.Rename  a plug in file (updater) to "old"

2. Changing compatability to Windows xp service pk 2 (tried this with the first  solution and without the first solution)

Of course also tried unistalling and reinstalling with restarting in between

Does anyone any ideas? Limited computer knowledge, please use simple terms, thanks!

• 1. Re: Can anyone help?
          pwillener Level 8

on hold wrote:

Does anyone any ideas? Limited computer knowledge, please use simple terms, thanks!

Unfortunately you have stumbled onto a rather complex problem, with many different possible solutions.

If you do just need a PDF reader, not explicitly Adobe Reader, then I would suggest that you search Google for an alternate PDF reader.  I do not have any specific recommendation, but I know that Foxit is very popular.  Make sure that you uncheck any unwanted add-ons during the installation.

Once you have your alternate PDF reader working, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Adobe Reader.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can anyone help?
            on hold Level 1

Thanks! I will consider trying your suggestion and will probably go with it as nothing else has worked!