5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 12:25 PM by 99.9kelowna

CS5 question

99.9kelowna
      If I build a dwt page in CS5 and then use it to base html pages should the html pages not update automatically if I make a change to the dwt page it was
      created from.

In other words I create my template page with columns and background and links etc etc...  just no info on the page then save as dwt
      Next I open the dwt file add my pertinent data and save as html
      dwt in template folder
      html in root folder
      Is there a code that should be in the html that points it to the dwt file....
        • 1. Re: CS5 question
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee
          I create my template page with columns and background and links etc etc...  just no info on the page then save as dwt
          Next I open the dwt file add my pertinent data and save as html
          dwt in template folder
          html in root folder
          Is there a code that should be in the html that points it to the dwt file....

That is not how you should create "Template Instance" pages from a Template in DW if you want your pages to update with any changes to the Template. Do the following:

1. File > New...

2. In the New Document Dialog, select "Page from Template" on the left.

3. Make sure the correct Site is selected in the Site column.

4. Select the Tempalte in the next column.

5. Click "Create"

HTH,

Randy

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 question
            99.9kelowna Level 1

thank you .....

• 3. Re: CS5 question
              99.9kelowna Level 1

so then when I make my html page is it okay to put it in another folder called html in the root folder, same with images do they go in their own folder in the root too?

• 4. Re: CS5 question
                Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

so then when I make my html page is it okay to put it in another folder called html in the root folder, same with images do they go in their own folder in the root too?

You can put the files anywhere you want inside your site root.

I suggest that you do not put any files in the Templates folder except .dwt files.

Yes, it's a good idea to group your images in their own folder. It is common to create a folder called "images" or "media" in the root of the Site.

Regards,

Randy

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CS5 question
                  99.9kelowna Level 1

thanks