9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2010 7:45 PM by rowby

CS5 - Naming Titles

sync2rhythm Level 1

In CS4 I would create a Title, making it look the way I wanted... then Open said title and hit "New Title Based on Current Title", changing the wording to whatever I needed it to be. -This helps to keep the formatting, color, etc. of my titles cohesive for the project. My titles would simply take on the next number as a name. ie: Title 1... the next title would be Title 2... the next being Title 3... so on & so forth.

In CS5 (5.0.1) the name of my titles are staying the same as the original, so I have multiple titles of the same name in my bin(s). Not that it matters because I usually double-click the title I would like to edit or duplicate on the timeline and not the bin... but when I look at my Timeline and I see multiple titles with the same name it usually means that the Text of the Title is the same as all the others with that name... It's very alarming/unnerving thinking I have the same title popping up for different chapters/events/people/etc.

Is this behavior odd?

What happens (name wise) when you guys hit "New Title Based on Current Title" to create a New Title?

I know work-arounds but do you know of a fix?

• 1. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
          the_wine_snob Level 9

This behavior is a change. For several generations, I and obviously others, have begged for a change in the naming convention, when one creates a new Title, based on the one loaded into Titler. This behavior, as you outline it, is only partial, compared to what we asked for - the auto-incrementing of the name of the loaded Title, i.e. the "source" Title. Looks like Adobe changed things, but did not go quite far enough. Obviously, the ability to self-increment is there, or was, because the number of the Titles was available, since one would get the name "Title 5," after "Title 4," even if the name of Title 4 had been changed to "Liz Text 02." It was my hope, that the incrementing would be applied to the name of the source Title. Looks like that part did not make it into CS5. Had it, I would have been so very pleased, and feel that I had actually done something good for all users. Now, it seems to be only half a step, when a full step was required. Sorry about that.

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When making a new title based on current title you are prompted for a name, does that show the correct name?

• 3. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
              sync2rhythm Level 1
              ...since one would get the name "Title 5," after "Title 4," even if the name of Title 4 had been changed to "Liz Text 02." It was my hope, that the incrementing would be applied to the name of the source Title. Looks like that part did not make it into CS5. Had it, I would have been so very pleased...

Bill Hunt - I'm with you on that. I too would like to see the self-increment work the way you see it.

When making a new title based on current title you are prompted for a name, does that show the correct name

Ann Bens - I just reopened my project to test and it looks like the Titles that it duplicated their names were Titles that I Copy/Paste from another sequence then within the same pproj then "New Title Based on Current Title"... but now it seems to be doing what I expected/same as CS4 by just taking on the next Incremental Name, ie: 4, 5, 6, etc... not doing what Bill Hunt thought or what it was doing before.

I'll keep my eyes and actions alert to see if it happens again and what causes it.

I've included a ScreenGrab just so you guys don't think I'm going Crazy. Notice the duplicated Title Names.

Maybe I just needed a restart?

Titles_Naming.jpg

HP Z400

W7 64bit

6GB RAM

Intel Xeon W3540 @2.93GGHz

System Drive / Project Drive / eSATA WD MyStudio 2

• 4. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Dang,

Maybe they tried, but ended up with "roving code?"

I was celebrating prematurely, figuring that the self-incrementing just needed to be hooked up and was thinking the next update. I'll put away the Bollinger - at least for now.

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
                  sync2rhythm Level 1

In CS5 (5.0.1) the name of my titles are staying the same as the original, so I have multiple titles of the same name in my bin(s)

It just did it again!!!!

In my pproj. (Will be 14 lessons of 30minutes each.)

- I duplicated a Sequence which was already edited complete with Titles.

- I then deleted the camera footage/video from the new Sequence leaving the Titles.

- Double-Clicked a Title (Title slate that shows the names of the individual lessons)

- Hit "New Title Based on Current Title"

- The prompt says "Title 61" but as you can see in the picture... I already have a "Title 61"

TitleNames.jpg

If I change the name in the Prompt for the Title... I used TEST - The next Prompted Title name is "Title 62" or just the next # in sequential order... but as you can tell, I already have "Title 62" therefore I will end up with duplicates again in this project as well as the one I was editing yesterday when I discovered this.

It appears that the duplicate numbers start with whatever the "Title #" is that I use as my base.

As you can tell yesterday I duplicated "Title 1" & today it was "Title 61" that I duplicated in this project.

It's funny - I hope I'm the only one experiencing this so there isn't a wide spread problem but at the same time I want it to be wide spread so it can be duplicated and resolved. Anyone able to duplicate or seeing this behavior?

• 6. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Best to give unique names to the titles to avoid duplicated titles.

• 7. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
                      sync2rhythm Level 1
                      Best to give unique names to the titles to avoid duplicated titles.

This is why the Duplicating "Title Names" IS a problem.

Notice how many Titles are in that project?

There's No Way I want to personally write unique names for titles.

If I ever want to edit a Title I would go to that Title on the Timeline and Double-Click it.

I don't care what the name of it is... so long as its name will not cause problems... ie: Duplicated

As stated: I know Work-a-Rounds but feel they should NOT be needed.

• 8. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I am with you. In the older versions, the Based On Current (or similar syntax) would default to Title XX, where XX would be an increment of the total number of Titles created in the Project, regardless of whether their names had been changed. Count was being kept somewhere, just like with Title>New Title. Duplication was not done, and auto incrementing was included. Seems that Adobe needs to look into this.

Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention,

Hunt

• 9. Re: CS5 - Naming Titles
                          rowby Level 1

I would consider this a bug and should be reported to Adobe as a bug.