11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 5:15 PM by Kurt_777

I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.

Kurt_777 Level 1

Sometimes, after I cut a HD clip in PE7, the first piece of the clip loses a second or two of its audio right at its end, just before the cut. There is still a waveform visible, but for the final couple of seconds, it's dead flat.

Wondering what causes that.

• 1. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is the video from an HDV or AVCHD camcorder?

Did you use Premiere Elements to capture the video?

Is your video project set to the proper preset for this type of video?

• 2. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
            Kurt_777 Level 1

Steve, it's a Canon HV40. I guess that's HDV. I did use Premiere Elements 7 to capture the footage. And the settings are correct. I get the video fine, and the audio is fine unless I make a cut.

(Actually, maybe I should play captured footage right through next time, before doing any cutting, just to be sure the audio dropout wasn't there even before the cut. I doubt that very much, though).

• 3. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Ensure that the program has completed the process of creating peak files, after you've captured your video and before you begin editing.

If you're using the correct program settings for an HDV project, there should be no red or green line above your clips on the timeline. Is this the case?

If you've done both of these things, I know of no reason your audio should cut off when you edit. sorry.

• 4. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

I have been thinking of this problem all night, and cannot come up with any reason for the Audio to be truncated either.

Back in the OP, you state that the Waveform is evident, but the signal disappears, right before the point that you Cut. Unless one has added a Transition to the Audio, I cannot see how this is happening.

For some background on what happens on the Timeline with a muxed (Audio & Video Clip):

1.) basically, what one gets, when they Import/Capture is a "proxy," a representation, of the AV Clip in the Project Panel. The physical file is not really in the Project, but instead, one has XML links to it. When the Clip is dragged to the Timeline, one has an "Instance" of that linked Clip reference. One could have that same Clip appear in any number of Instances.

2.) when one Razors/Cuts the Instance of that Clip, there are just instructions written, telling the program how much to extract from the physical AV file, when one Exports/Shares. Basically, you have created a "sub-Clip," but be careful as the term Sub-Clip has other meanings in other NLE programs, like PrPro. They are something a bit different. The physical AV file is never touched, just the reference to that Instance of it. It's all done with XML instructions.

As a test, once you have used the Razor/Scissors on the larger Clip, where you get the Audio dropout, Click-drag on that new Tail and extend the Duration of that "sub-Clip" a half-dozen, or so seconds. On the Timeline, this will push the rest to the Clips to the right. Now, test, and see if the Audio dropout stays where the original Cut was, or if it moves along with the Tail (now extended) of the sub-Clip. What happens?

Also, can you zoom the Timeline, but the vertical (the Audio and Video Track 1, assuming that is the location of this material) and also the horizontal, and then place the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the Edit Line) at the junction of the Clips, and do a screen-cap, so that we can see that spot, where the Audio drops out? There has got to be something happening there, like a default Audio Transition being added, or a Keyframe on Volume, etc. I can think of no other way for this Audio drop-out to occur - or a ghost in the machine????

Cutting the Audio should result in an abrupt stoppage in the Audio, just like the Video. That is why it's called a Butt Cut, and why we often add Transitions for both the Video and the Audio.

Good luck, and wish I had something besides a bit of basic background and some theory and tests for you.

Hunt

• 5. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                  Kurt_777 Level 1

Steve, over some clips in the Timline there appears a red line, but the audio on those clips is fine. It's odd.

• 6. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The red line indicates that for smoothest playback, the Timeline needs to be Rendered. Pressing Enter will Render both the Video and Audio, and those files will be used for playback. Red lines can appear for several reasons: the footage does not match the Project Preset 100%, a Title, or Transition has been added. Effects have been added. One has added a PiP with other Video Clips above the ones on Video Track 1, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                      Kurt_777 Level 1

Bill, when I say the waveform is still there, I mean the line is there, but it suddenly becomes flat, (like in the movies when a heart monitor when the patient dies) . Right up to that point, a second or two before the cut, it's an actual sine wave, (if that's the term).

I printed your suggestions and I'll try that out.

Thanks for your help,

Kurt.

• 8. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                        Kurt_777 Level 1

Bill, in that case the red line probably is because I added some colour correction to that clip. 

• 9. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

That would certainly do it. I will complete Projects and never Render, as things play adequately. OTOH, I will have segments that get rendered dozens of time, especially with Keyframing, as I need the smoothest possible playback to monitor my work. If you get smooth enough playback, after the CC Effects, do not bother.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Kurt,

That flat-line Waveform is highly curious. I cannot imagine what could be happening there. I have never heard of such. I have seen Audio lost in a Clip in PrPro, when one does Copy/Paste to a new Sequence, but not something like this in PrE.

I'll keep thinking, but just am clueless as to what could cause this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: I'm losing audio when I cut a clip.
                              Kurt_777 Level 1
                              Bill,
                              I plan to save the film direct to a USB drive and play it through a media player anyway. I don't have a Blu-Ray burner and I don't intend to make Blu Ray DVDs until the price per unit gets down to a "real world" level.
                              I've done that with a very short HD film already, and the results through a HDMI on a HD LCD are breath-taking. For my audiences, (family, friends, and club), I'm happy to carry a media player around with me.
                              Kurt