3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2007 6:28 AM by Captiv8r

Retaining links when deleting multiple files

Robokate
      Hi there,
      I need to delete a lot of files from a project, but I don't want to lose the links to those topics in other files. If I delete a single file, Robohelp HTML displays a dialog box that gives the option to keep references to that file in other files. This is the behaviour I want to achieve.
      When I try to delete multiple files, however, Robohelp doesn't give the option to keep the references and the links disappear from other files.
      Does anyone know any way to delete mulitple files and keep all references to those files? I really don't want to have to delete every topic individually!
      Many thanks
      Kate
        • 1. Re: Retaining links when deleting multiple files
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi Kate and welcome to our community

One way you might accomplish this would be by sneaking behind RoboHelp's back and deleting the files using Windows Explorer. This should keep RoboHelp in the dark. I'd probably close the project before doing this.

Give that a go and see how you fare.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. Re: Retaining links when deleting multiple files
            Robokate Level 1
            Hi Rick,
            Thanks very much for that quick reply. That's a good idea - I don't why I didn't think of it
            I deleted some files and they disappeared from Robohelp before my very eyes...then I tried again in another folder and they didn't disappear, but nasty red crosses appeared on their icons. It doesn't seem to matter whether I have Robohelp open or closed - the red crosses appear all the time now.
            Any ideas why some topics delete seamlessly, and Robohelp doesn't want to let go of others?
            Cheers
            Kate
            • 3. Re: Retaining links when deleting multiple files
              Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              Hi again Kate

I would expect that if RoboHelp was aware of all the files, all that you delete would appear in RoboHelp as being listed with the red X. The red X signifies that RoboHelp is unable to find the file. It's a clue to you, the help developer, that something is amiss and needs to be addressed.

I'm not sure why some would just disappear while others would behave as expected. Unless, of course, you had multiple copies of certain files.

Cheers... Rick