7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 11:58 AM by Jim_Simon

Scaling up a nested sequence (PPro CS5)

CEP Webmaster

In Premiere CS5, I've built a sequence (call it "Sequence A") with a complicated timeline of videoclips appearing and disappearing.  The source clips are all scaled at about 50%, so that they can all fit in the sequence window.

Sequence A is then nested inside Sequence B.  Seq. A is scaled to 200%.  My expectation was that the source clips in A would effectively be rendered at 100%, same as they would with nested movie clips in Flash (which I'm more familiar with).  But instead, A seems to render before B is rendered, and rather than seeing the source clips at 100%, I see the source clips resized to 50% and then resized to 200%, which is pixellated and awful (especially with the interlacing going on).

Is there any way to tell Premiere to do some kind of "pass-through" rendering, where it doesn't re-render the source clips in nested sequence A, but just renders all the source clips (in A and B) while it's rendering sequence B?

And if there's not, is there something else I can be using instead of a nested sequence?  Some kind of box or group or . . . something?  I chose the nested sequence because it seemed analogous to a nested movie clip in Flash . . . but apparently it's not quite the same.

Thank you for your time!

• 1. Re: Scaling up a nested sequence
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I am not clear on why you are first Scaling to 50% and then Scaling to 200%. Can you give us a bit more background on the reasons. You mention

The source clips are all scaled at about 50%, so that they can all fit in the sequence window.

and this is where I become unclear.

Thanks and good luck,

Hunt

PS - in video, one is not working with Vector images, so Scaling is done at a pixel-level, and degradation can, and will interfere with the quality.

• 2. Re: Scaling up a nested sequence
            CEP Webmaster Level 1

Thank you for your quick reply!

I am essentially building a video flowchart.  Sequence A, the nested sequence, has the whole flowchart on it, with video clips appearing and disappearing along it.  Because the full-sized flowchart, with all clips in place, is about 1440 pixels wide, I shrank each source clip 50%, so it fits in the 720 pixel-wide NTSC DV sequence.  So Sequence A has the whole 1440 pixel-wide flowchart scaled to 50%.

Then in Sequence B, I scale Sequence A back up to 1440 pixels wide (200%), and "walk along the flowchart" . . . starting on the very left of Sequence A, and moving across the flowchart to the very right of Sequence A.  So 1440 pixels of width is scrolled across the 720 pixel-wide video.

EDIT: Just realized a visual might help:

A.gifB2.gif

Because so many video and graphic elements appear on the flowchart, though, it would be a beast of a task to manually set keyframes on each video layer and move/scale/etc each source clip in sync.  So I made Sequence A a "static" timeline (individual clips grow/shrink/move/appear/disappear, but the timeline as a whole stays in one place), and then tried to move and zoom around Sequence A by nesting it in Sequence B.

Does that make any more sense?

• 3. Re: Scaling up a nested sequence
              jeremy d. Level 3

I wonder if there's a way to make Seq A the larger sequence, so that when you scale it and move it around in Seq B, your quality wont suffer. The way you've gone about it, you have no chance of getting quality results.

Moving the nested sequence around like that is a good idea, it just needs some tweaking.

There must be a better workflow, and others here probably know of one.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scaling up a nested sequence
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Does that make any more sense?

Honestly, no.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get your clips to look as good as their original resolution is to simply use them at such.  Don't scale them.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Scaling up a nested sequence
                  CEP Webmaster Level 1

Well, thanks for the news, even if it's bad news.

In that case (and I assume you're also saying there's no way to get a pass-through render), is there a better way to get 30+ clips at different points along the timeline to move and scale in unison?  So that they all pan left-to-right, and zoom in and out, together as one seamless whole?  Or do I need to set an individual keyframe for every single clip, and calculate fractions of pixels for positioning clips at their start/end points?

• 6. Re: Scaling up a nested sequence
                    CEP Webmaster Level 1

Actually, I went back and did this "Make Seq A the larger sequence" . . . and it solved my problem for now.  So thank you.

If I ever have a timeline that's more than 1440 pixels wide, I think I will be in trouble.  But this gets me started.

Thank you very much.

• 7. Re: Scaling up a nested sequence
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

is there a better way to get 30+ clips at different points along the timeline to move and scale in unison?

Set keyframes for one, then Copy/Paste Attributes.