22 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2010 5:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4

Keeker021075

When I first started this project, I had errors from time to time that would shut down PE4, but within the last few days, I can't even render the project without it shutting down.  The only error message I get is that something occurred and it needs to be shut down and Windows will look for a solution.  Obviously I have no solutions from Windows regarding the 50 plus times I've received that message.  I took my computer in to be checked out due to other issues, but I guess it appears to be fine.  I uninstalled and re-installed the program and I'm still encountering the same problems, but a bit less than before the computer went in, but I can't seem to convert my project to DVD or a Computer File.  I do want to say, I've utilized this forum many times before and it has been extremely helpful.  Thank you so much for all your advice and help.

• 1. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing that I would do is look over this ARTICLE to see the types of info that can be so very useful to us.

Next, I would look to this ARTICLE for some tips on setting up one's computer for an editing session.

Then, in case it's a Resource/Memory issue, would look at this ARTICLE. The article above addresses some of this.

If nothing is helping, then this ARTICLE might give you tips on finding clues as to what is happening, when the program crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Like Hunt, I'd suspect it's a hardware resource issue.

How much free space is left on your hard drive? At least 30 gigabytes? Have you defragmented recently?

In fact, the FAQs to the right of this forum offer steps for maintaining your computer system. I highly recommend you do them on a regular basis. They can help clear off the invisible sludge that builds up over time.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Finally, be sure to tell us if you are working with a second hard drive and, if so, if it is an internal or external drive.

• 3. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
              Keeker021075 Level 1

Thank you for all your advice, if it weren't for this forum, I'd have many more struggles with this program.  Wtih the consistancy of errors, I wonder if it's a software problem, conflicting with Windows maybe.  I just wonder if the project is corrupted or it's a software issue.  There isn't anything specific to my error messages except that something has caused the program to stop suddenly.  I have a completed project that I can't get onto DVD because of this, do you have any suggestions?  I've tried to make an AVI and that doesn't work either.  Any suggestions of other programs that could possibly interfere with Adobe?  I guess I don't know how much information you need from me, but the errors are definitely vague.  Thanks for your time.

• 4. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed at Premiere Pro, but may help

A link with many ideas about computer setup http://forums.adobe.com/thread/436215?tstart=0

Work through all of the steps (ideas) listed at http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section, the questions at the end of the troubleshooting link... most especially the codec used... see Question 1

Again... report back with ALL OF THE DETAILS asked for in the FINALLY section at the Troubleshooting link

• 5. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Error messages can be horribly vague. This ARTICLE might give you tips on find clues, as to what is happening, when the program crashes or hangs.

I hope that Even Viewer can give you, and us, some clues.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As far as info, that should be useful, this ARTICLE will give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                      Keeker021075 Level 1

Okay, I am having absolutely no luck.  I can get a project rendered and completed but I can not make a finished product.  I have had to render small sections or it will also error.  I can't make a file onto the computer, an AVI or a DVD.  I'm always getting an error that stops the program.  I have followed many of your directions with no luck. I really don't know what else to do.

I am working with 4 GB RAM and I have an extra hard drive for space.  I really think the program is conflicting with something, but I can't find it, unless it's a Windows issue.  I really like Adobe Premiere, but this is very discouraging that I have a finished project that needs to be completed, but I can't do it.  I'm strongly considering re-installing Windows, but that's a hefty task.  If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

• 8. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                        Keeker021075 Level 1

Here's the specs on my computer...

Processor: Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU  E5200 @2.5GHz

Memory: 4GB RAM

system Type: 32-bit Operating System

I am not sure on the video card.

• 9. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

When you went into MSCONFIG, how many programs/Processes were you able to turn OFF?

I'd also suggest running SystemEssentials, especially their Process Explorer. If you can furnish us with either the Process Explorer report, or do screen-caps of what Task Manager shows as your running programs and Processes, we should be able to find some that can still be turned off, or might spot one that is getting in the way.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                            Keeker021075 Level 1

Hopefully this is what you need.  And I can turn off 22 services on msconfig.  This is from Process Explorer.

Process PID CPU Private Bytes Working Set Description Company Name
                            System Idle Process 0 96.92 0 K 24 K 
                            Interrupts n/a  0 K 0 K Hardware Interrupts
                            DPCs n/a  0 K 0 K Deferred Procedure Calls
                            System 4  0 K 3,564 K 
                              smss.exe 552  292 K 732 K 
                            csrss.exe 680  1,900 K 6,972 K 
                            wininit.exe 740  1,280 K 3,904 K 
                            services.exe 784  2,644 K 6,772 K 
                              svchost.exe 996  2,536 K 5,588 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                               wltuser.exe 580  4,872 K 11,456 K Windows Live Toolbar User Elevation Helper Microsoft Corporation
                               FlashUtil10e.exe 3864  1,896 K 5,812 K Adobe Flash Player Helper 10.0 r45 Adobe Systems, Inc.
                              svchost.exe 1056  3,612 K 6,428 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              svchost.exe 1112  63,980 K 39,552 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              svchost.exe 1148  15,472 K 15,452 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              psksvc.exe 1184  2,104 K 284 K Anti-malware protection support executable Panda Security, S.L.
                              TPSrv.exe 1224  29,440 K 508 K TPSrv Application Panda Security, S.L.
                               WebProxy.exe 2240  26,072 K 192 K Internet resident proxy Panda Security, S.L.
                              Ati2evxx.exe 1332  1,072 K 4,040 K ATI External Event Utility EXE Module ATI Technologies Inc.
                               Ati2evxx.exe 1888  3,024 K 6,260 K 
                              svchost.exe 1368  14,016 K 11,724 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                               audiodg.exe 1484  17,372 K 20,008 K 
                              svchost.exe 1392  118,092 K 121,052 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                               WUDFHost.exe 3536  3,124 K 4,956 K 
                               dwm.exe 3356 0.77 45,556 K 76,952 K Desktop Window Manager Microsoft Corporation
                              svchost.exe 1404  20,372 K 28,148 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                               taskeng.exe 2184  2,104 K 5,824 K 
                               taskeng.exe 3100  9,092 K 9,604 K Task Scheduler Engine Microsoft Corporation
                              svchost.exe 1508  2,024 K 4,604 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              SLsvc.exe 1528  6,096 K 11,316 K Microsoft Software Licensing Service Microsoft Corporation
                              svchost.exe 1584 1.54 5,588 K 9,640 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              spoolsv.exe 1968  7,128 K 11,576 K Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
                              svchost.exe 1996  15,296 K 18,600 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              AERTSrv.exe 936  372 K 1,572 K Andrea filters APO access service (32-bit) Andrea Electronics Corporation
                              AppleMobileDeviceService.exe 1684  2,288 K 3,852 K Apple Mobile Device Service Apple Inc.
                              mDNSResponder.exe 1716  1,608 K 4,736 K Bonjour Service Apple Inc.
                              CreativeLicensing.exe 1836  768 K 2,232 K System Level Service Utility Creative Labs
                              CTSVCCDA.EXE 1756  760 K 2,348 K Creative Service for CDROM Access Creative Technology Ltd
                              svchost.exe 2068  772 K 2,572 K 
                              hnm_svc.exe 2096  23,120 K 17,192 K Advanced Networking Service Dell Inc.
                              lxddserv.exe 2340  892 K 2,956 K Lexmark Connect Service Executable Lexmark International, Inc.
                              lxddcoms.exe 2356  2,600 K 4,748 K Printer Communication System 
                              MediaMallServer.exe 2380  68,532 K 55,680 K PlayOn Server MediaMall Technologies, Inc.
                              PsCtrlS.exe 2448  9,924 K 596 K Panda Software Controler Panda Security, S.L.
                               SrvLoad.exe 4528  2,500 K 164 K 
                               PavBckPT.exe 4608  1,496 K 276 K PavBckPT Aplicación Panda Security, S.L.
                              PavFnSvr.exe 2468  16,316 K 424 K Panda Function Service Panda Security, S.L.
                              PavPrSrv.exe 2484  732 K 36 K Panda Process Protection Service Panda Security, S.L.
                              pavsrvx86.exe 2520  10,868 K 13,372 K Enhanced On-Access Anti-Malware Service Panda Security, S.L.
                               AVENGINE.EXE 2680  29,416 K 10,696 K 
                              svchost.exe 2636  2,152 K 5,164 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              PSHost.exe 2648  5,832 K 780 K 
                              PsImSvc.exe 2660  6,876 K 148 K Panda Interface Manager Service Panda Security S.L.
                              SeaPort.exe 3068  4,352 K 8,268 K Microsoft SeaPort Search Enhancement Broker Microsoft Corporation
                              svchost.exe 3112  6,092 K 10,292 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              WDDMService.exe 3148  76,640 K 6,036 K WD Drive Manager Service WDC
                              WDSmartWareBackgroundService.exe 3212  11,640 K 9,676 K WDSmartWareBackgroundService Memeo
                              svchost.exe 3400  1,464 K 4,044 K Host Process for Windows Services Microsoft Corporation
                              WLIDSVC.EXE 3428  4,220 K 9,364 K 
                               WLIDSVCM.EXE 3756  844 K 2,676 K 
                              SearchIndexer.exe 3472  40,688 K 16,792 K Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Microsoft Corporation
                               SearchProtocolHost.exe 5260  3,676 K 7,356 K Microsoft Windows Search Protocol Host Microsoft Corporation
                               SearchFilterHost.exe 2744  2,740 K 4,380 K 
                              YahooAUService.exe 3580  3,132 K 5,896 K AutoUpater Service Module Yahoo! Inc.
                              UI0Detect.exe 3280  2,468 K 8,496 K Interactive services detection Microsoft Corporation
                              sprtsvc.exe 2444  3,888 K 1,592 K SupportSoft Agent Service SupportSoft, Inc.
                            lsass.exe 800  3,032 K 2,864 K Local Security Authority Process Microsoft Corporation
                            lsm.exe 808  1,964 K 3,980 K 
                            csrss.exe 752  2,260 K 7,800 K 
                            winlogon.exe 972  2,080 K 5,616 K 
                            explorer.exe 4048  41,608 K 61,036 K Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
                            ApVxdWin.exe 3680  10,160 K 1,948 K Panda permanent protection Panda Security, S.L.
                            GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 2808  3,652 K 1,088 K GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc.
                            iexplore.exe 6140  10,524 K 24,872 K Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
                              iexplore.exe 2204  123,736 K 126,752 K Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
                              GoogleToolbarUser.exe 4752  4,756 K 7,188 K Google Toolbar Broker Google Inc.
                              iexplore.exe 4508  61,440 K 75,252 K Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
                            procexp.exe 5544 0.77 17,172 K 34,724 K Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

• 11. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are some comments:

Before an editing session, turn OFF, Pandaware - malware protection probably from the Taskbar, as it should resist being stopped in any other way. While editing, just do not connect to the Internet, as protection will be OFF.

Now, here are some others, but I'm not sure about them.

K-Enhanced - malware protection

Audiodg has been known to cause issues. See Neale's comments down this THREAD.

Do not know MediaMall. What is that?

Looks like you have a Yahoo Search toolbar. Do you use that?

You also have Google toolbar. Why both?

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back up-thread, I had linked to an article on finding clues as to what is happening with both your System and your Applications, when you encounter a crash/hang, by using Event Viewer. I do not recall seeing what Event Viewer told you, at the time of the crashes/hangs. Anything of use there?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                  Keeker021075 Level 1

Okay, here's something I found on the Event Viewer...  Application Error, Event ID 1000, Level

2, Task 100, Keywords 0x80000000000000.

It also says : Faulting Application Adobe Premiere Elements exe., version 4.0.0.0, time stamp 0x474ee133, faulting module TitleCharacterFactory.dll, version 1.1.0.0, time stamp 0x474ecf9b, exception code 0x0000005, fault offset 0x0004bbbd, process id 0x1480, application start time 0x01cb05070a4a7f35.

Hopefully some of this will help, I'll keep on looking.

Thanks again

• 15. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good work. Let's look at PrE's Titler. First, it is very, very sensitive to bad fonts, certain fonts or corrupt fonts - much more so than any other Adobe program. This ARTICLE will give you tips on things to look for and how to track down corrupt fonts. Usually, a bad font will cause Titler to crash on startup, but often they will crash the program a launch, before you ever get to try and open Titler.

Let us know what you find, regarding fonts. Also note that certain fonts do not have to be corrupt. Some, like Sun MicroSystem's OpenOffice's Deja Vu can crash Titler, as can several others. Those need to be isolated, and uninstalled from the system.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                      Keeker021075 Level 1

Okay, I downloaded FontFrenzy and supposedly it removed all fonts except for those that came with Windows, yet, I'm still having problems.  I read over your article a couple of times, I just don't really know where to start or what to do.  I switched over to a very common font, Ariel, but it still froze and still has Title issues according to the Event Viewer.  I am really discouraged, because it seems like when I might be close, it still doesn't want to work.  At the end of your article, you mention another's experience about copying to another user ID.  I only have one user on my computer, is that what he's talking about?  I followed his link, what is that styles folder for?  When I click on the files in that folder, it just opens up Adobe P4 for me, I guess I don't know what their importance is.  Can they be deleted?  Would that help me?  Obviously it's a titler thing, but I don't know how to fix it!  So frustrating.

• 17. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Styles are basically Effects, that are applied to either Text, or Shapes, in Titler. They can be a particular font, Drop-shadows, Stroke, Gradient Fills, etc.. They appear as a matrix of examples in the Titler, and can be used to format the Text, or Shapes. Also, once applied, say a Stroke, one can then alter those can be adjusted. For instance, if one wants to have a Stroke on a Shape, they would first apply a Style with Stroke, and then adjust that Stroke, as is needed. They are included as part of the installation of PrE and one can create new Styles to be saved and re-used.

Now, when you ran Font Frenzy, one part of that application is a font repair utility. Did it find any bad/corrupt fonts?

Locating problem fonts can be a big detective project, even with a font manager. The amount of work will depend on the number of fonts, that one has installed on the system.

Also, do you have any programs, like OpenOffice, that installs its own fonts?

OTOH, there could be some other issue with the installation of Titler (or a title module), and a font might not be the culprit here. Fonts are just the first place to investigate, because of how sensitive Titler is to them.

Good luck, and let us know how things progress.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                          Keeker021075 Level 1

I clicked on Repair fonts folder, supposedly it was repaired.  It's hard to know if it actually did anything.  Unfortunately PE is still having errors.  What can I do regarding the Titler?  Anything?

• 19. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you do not have any problem fonts, or corrupted fonts, then I would do a Repair install of the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                              Keeker021075 Level 1

Well, I've twice not tried to repair Adobe with no luck.  I guess I'm down to calling Adobe.  Thanks very much for your help Bill.

• 21. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                                Keeker021075 Level 1

Oops, I accidentally hit answered, and unfortunately this is not answered.

• 22. Re: Constant Errors on Premiere Elements 4
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry, most people here do not even notice that.

Good luck, and sorry that we could not help. We are usually much better than Adobe T/S, but there have been a few cases, that we could not crack. Please let us know when you get it fixed.

Hunt