9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2010 10:13 AM by aganess

Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work

yaakov02

Hi everybody,

i got a quite complicated problem:

i just recently started to work with Illustrator CS5 and i make my figures for my thesis with it. i heavyly used the program for a whole day and it just worked fine. but after open it up again after serveral hours there occured following problem:

i can select all objects, i can resize, scale, etc with it BUT i CANNOT drag them with my mouse, only with arrow keys.

i have read a lot in this and other forums and i tried following:

• preferences --> Selection & Anchor Display --> Object  Selection by Path only = not ticked
      • deleting settings folder + win7 (64bit) restart --> then restart CS5
      • uninstall + clean script for CS5 --> then reinstall
      • alt+ctrl+shift

non of the above helped me fixing this problem. i just dont really know what this problem is caused by.

are there any other folders except the settings folder:  C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings

if so, which one? it is really annoying and only using the arrow keys is not an option.

by the way, when i select the object and klick it (left mouse button), on the bottom of CS5 there is an info bar which says 'move'. when releasing the left mouse button it says 'selection'

PLEASE HELP!

thanks a lot in advance.

Yaakov

• 1. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yaakov,

The Clean Script should remove the preferences, but you never know.

• deleting settings folder + win7 (64bit) restart --> then restart CS5

I presume you did that with Illy closed. You may try moving the folder instead, and restarting the PC before restarting Illy.

And you may search for the folder(s) (one for every user).

Both are described in the hint: Move the folder

Another Yaakov.

• 2. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
            yaakov02 Level 1

Hey..yaakov?!?

thanks for the fast reply! i actually used your description! i also tried just to move the folder in a subfolder :-(

everything has been done as stated there and i used the cs5 clean script, but there where some erros (as written in the *.log file).

--> what do you mean with other folders? what is your search string?

i guess the problem lies somewhere in the registry, but it is very inconvenient to manually delete all illustrator registry entries :-/

is there an adobe support, which can figure out, which are the registry values for the selection tool?

thx yaakov

• 3. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Let's try this just to see f we cn pin this down.

Crete a new user account with administrative privileges log into the account do nothing but launch Illustrator and create a new document make a few objects and see if you can accomplish the task.

• 4. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
                yaakov02 Level 1

i did create a new user and startet illustrator... no fix, problem still exists

any other good ideas?

• 5. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yaakov,

It may be time to try some of the Other options (thenext hint on the site).

One possibility is that there may be some unfortunate interaction with other applications; those with known issues have been listed; the whole lists is updated as soon as any new causes/solutions are reported.

Hey..yaakov?!?

Just different spellings, (almost) same pronunciation.

• 6. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
                    davidmacy Adobe Employee

Interesting point about the status bar showing "Move" or "Selection". The normal behavior is that when you are using the selection tool, it shows "Selection" and when you click on an object. it doesn't show "Move" until you actually drag. So, it seems that Illustrator is seeing the drag event.

A few questions - does the same thing happen if you start with a brand new file? Do other tools, like the Move Tool work for dragging artwork around? Does it work if you only select one object instead of all? Does the Direct Selection tool work?

• 7. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
                      yaakov02 Level 1

@ davidmacy:

• status bar shows 'move' only when i hold down left mouse button and move my mouse! it's just that nothing happens
                      • the same goes for direct selection tool
                      • the same happens when i create a new file (artwork) and eg. create a textbox i want to move
                      • the same happens if i select only one object or all objects
                      • BUT: i can move the artwork itself!

i still think there is a registry value just messed up, but i have too less experience in how to find what values does what.

'--> when i did the cs5 clean script, it processed an error and couldnt delete everything, so i think that's the reason for that the problem persists even after a clean install!

• 8. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
                        Kaushik A Level 1

Are some objects in your artwork locked? Also note that if you click on an object with no fill and drag, the object will not move like the text box you just mentioned (if it's area type and you've not typed anything yet); you then need to click on the path.

Your problem may not be so simple but I thought this worth mentioning!

• 9. Re: Dragging with Selection Tool  won't work
                          aganess Level 1

Yaakov,

I was having the same problem and read your post and all the answers, and really almost gave up. I found the answer, finally, to be this:

when the selection is made, and there is a box around the object, you must drag from the "anchor" point.

This worked for me, I hope the simplest method is the answer this time, anyway.

Kathleen