8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 9:57 PM by the_wine_snob

Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???

VERRAT

Dear members,

I edited my film with Premiere Pro. I exported it as AVI/DV comp NTSC (29fps), AVI 1.067.   Looked great. Then I watched the exported film and noticed there was a continuos slight clicking sound all over the film...I reopened premiere, and saw, it was even hearable in the program! I was confused, as before I haven't heard it. The sound to the film has been edited on another computer, it is ONE sound file, (macintosh aiff). So I checked the original soundfile in premiere, not on the timeline but in a separat window, and there was NO click...

Then I thought it might be an incompatibility due to the fact that the sound file was made on a mac (mac aiff) and mine is a PC. So I talked to the sound editor and showed him what happened. The clicking in the exported file...

I reopened premiere to show him, but eventually the clicking was no more there!

So I cancelled the sound file and reimported it, great, no clicking on the timeline.......so I exported the film again, 4 hours... and again the clicking is in the exported avi file.

(and on the DVD that I burned then, too, which I HAD to do cuz I had a deadline for a festival.)

So I have NOOOO CLUE AT ALL how avoid this mysterious clicking! (It is a low and frequent clicking, like 7 times a second, and not rhytmical)

If you know what that could be, please tell me! I'm desperate!

Sandra Hetzl

• 1. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sandra,

AIFF Audio files have been known to have issues.

Were I in your situation, I would run the AIFF file through Audition (or similar), and just do a Save_As 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV.

Now, if you could hear the clicks in Audition (noise-canceling headphones are a really good investment here), it has several tools for removal of such sounds, without damage to the underlying Audio signal - amazingly good for this.

Know that you were under a deadline (isn't that ALWAYS the case?), but you might want to give this a go, just to test.

If you do have the clicks in Audition, I'll be glad to step you through some of the tools and Presets to eliminate such. Do not know how well, or how poorly SB will be able to help.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I do not know what all the issues are with AIFF's on the PC, but there seem to be problems galore. They play perfectly on a Mac, and just badly on a PC. Gotta' be some issue with the software differences between the two platforms.

PPS - many users will convert the AIFF's w/ Apple's QuickTime Pro (US $30 upgrade/unlock), and Export to the PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit. That works well too.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PPS

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
            VERRAT Level 1

Oh, thank you very much!

I don't have Audition, didn't even know of it's existance, but I see what I can do...

At least now I know that it's because of the Aiff...

Well, yeah,there are always deadlines, and that is good, but the thing is, I was forced to submit the film to the festival WITH the clicks, cause deadline was yesterday and I had no clue how to remove them....

Greetings from berlin and thanks, I'll let you know if I work it out!

sandra

• 3. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sandra,

At least now I know that it's because of the Aiff...

Remember that the AIFF is speculation, but is based on other issues.

Here is hoping that you can meet your deadline, and good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, if you are on the PC, do look into Audition. It is tough to beat, though not available for the Mac, at least not yet.

And greetings from sunny Arizona, USA!

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
                  VERRAT Level 1

Oh Bill, thanks a lot again, and thanks for the greetings from arizona....would definitely need some sun here!

I got Adobe Audition now, and I saved the file as a wav as you said....this new wav file is a bit more than 6 frames longer than my aiff, so I have no Idea how to synchronize it....if it would be at least exactly 6 frames, but its like 6 and a third...any ideas how to avoid this?

• 6. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrPro, you can set the TimeCode from Frames to Audio Units. Then, this ARTICLE will give you some tips on handling OOS (Out Of Sync) issues. Not sure why the Duration changed, as it did. I have not encountered that before.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

PS -  if you are going to Encore for DVD/BD, you will want to make sure that your Audio is 100% equal to your Video, or just slightly shorter than the Video. I normally add about 02 sec. of Black Video, and Dip-to-Black. All Audio ends at about the 01 sec. mark in that tiny bit of Black Video.

• 7. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
                      VERRAT Level 1

Dear Bill

sorry to bother you this last time...BUT: ...ok I managed to resynch everything somehow quite well...but NOW, I tried exporting a little bit of it, and I watched the tiny avi file on vlc player, and there again, what is on synch on the timeline in premiere, is out of synch!!!!!!!!! How can that be?

Hhhmmmmm.

The sun is coming up here in Berlin.

• 8. Re: Strange click sound in the film (avi) when exported...???
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I have only observed that, when the source footage was MPEG, extracted from a DVD-Video. In those cases, I tried everything, including guessing the OOS, and making blind adjustments, only to have the resultant DVD-Video OOS. As I had warned the clients of the issues of dealing with DVD-Video to begin with, my posterior was covered, but I hate to not be able to fix everything. That was a case where the OOS was there, regardless.

Do not think that this applies to you, so I do not even have failures to rely on.

I am still curious as to why that AIFF converted to PCM/WAV was longer. That does not make sense, unless the AIFF was something like 32KHz to begin with. Then, one can have OOS, and files of different Durations. Do not think that was one of your issues, but might have forgotten your original file's specs.

Sorry,

Hunt