32 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2010 8:52 AM by Harm Millaard

Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Video@SouthpointCCC Level 1

Hello,

I've been tasked with assembling or purchasing a new video editing workstation capable of injesting Uncompressed HD content from our 3 camera studio, "sweetening" it (color correction, audio tweaks,etc.), bundling in pre-made 2D graphics and animations, and rendering out multiple delivery formats [b]in under twelve hours[/b].  The system would normally only be dealing with a single (switched) live feed.  Content length is 40 minutes to 1 hour.

I hope to order the parts for this system by Friday. My budget ceiling (for hardware) is 5000 USD (I am currently $50 over).  I don't "plan" to overclock (I don't own the rig) but might revisit six months out or so (once the system has been running stable for awhile).

Software being used (all CS5 in order of usage): Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Encore, Soundbooth, Encore, Illustrator, InDesign, Bridge.

Here is the component list that I am considering:

(2) Intel Xeon X5650 Westmere 2.66GHz 12MB  L3 Cache LGA 1366 95W Six-Core Server Processor                      $   2039.98
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6819117231

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAH+-F-O Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Extended ATX Dual  Intel Xeon Motherboard                  $    499.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6813182177

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX  Full Tower Computer Case                    $    169.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6811119138

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache  SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Bare HDD               $    149.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6822136296

(3) Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB  Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Bare HDD            $    224.97
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6822136319

SILVERSTONE ST85F-P 850W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS SILVER  Certified Modular Active PFC Pwr Sply         $    149.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6817256058

(2) SUPERMICRO SNK-P0040AP4 CPU Heatsink & Cooling Fan for Xeon  Processor 5500 Series                               $      59.98
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6816101285

EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB  384-bit GDDR5                                           $    522.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6814130551

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM                                                                      $      21.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6827135204

LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA Model WH10LS30 LightScribe  Support - OEM                                             $    139.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6827136181

SYBA PCI-Express 1394 FireWire Card Model SD-PEX-FWB                                                                                         $       42.99
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...]  6815124050

OCZ Platinum Tri Channel 12GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 12288MB  (6 x 2048MB), CL7                          $    346.99
      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applica [...]  60767110-2

(2) NEC EA231WMI-BK 23 inch Ws LCD 1920X1080 1000:1 VGA Black 14MS  Monitor                                               $    679.98
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...]  JGJ0JKT8F1

Sub-Total                 $   5049.82  (no software)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
      I'm a bit worried about heat sink/mobo/processor/case compatibility.   Also looking for ways to trim w/o compromising the timetable mentioned  above.  I've spent a bit of time researching these parts.  I'm looking  to those more knowledgeable to point out any conflicts and any "hey, you forgot X". Alternate  component suggestions are also welcome but vague "their better"  reasoning won't carry any weight.

ADDITIONAL HARDWARE ON-SITE:
      Blackmagic Multibridge Pro (for interfacing with studio) PCI-E 4x  break out box
      16TB (max, currently 2TB mirrored) NAS for archiving video assets  (connected via dual 10/100/1000 ethernet)
      Multiple Calibrated NTSC CRT Monitors and large format LCDs for  review

Thank you all in advance,

Jim G

• 1. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You asked for it.

1. The PSU is way underpowered. Look here: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5

Go for the Pro license, set CPU load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30% and add around 10 - 15% and you have a ballpark figure of what you need.

2. Your disk setup is severely lacking. Use at least 4 physical disks in addition to your Velociraptor and preferably with a good raid controller card like the Areca ARC-1680iX-12 with 2 GB cache and BBM.

3. Consider higher clocked CPU's like the W5680, since overclocking it is nearly impossible for the average user.

4. Either get a Supermicro chassis with its air shroud to improve cooling performance with the heatsinks you have chosen, or get better CPU coolers in the HAF tower, like the Noctua NH-14D. Check that these fit!!! It may be problematic. If you go for the Supermicro chassis, consider a redundant PSU.

5. Increase your memory to 24 GB.

You will be hard pressed to stay within your budget, unless you consider a single CPU, like the i7-930 overclocked or the i7-980X.

Have a look at good performing systems and notice where the dual Xeons are in the ranking here: PPBM4 Benchmark

When opting for more disks, consider the Supermicro M35-T disk cages, with hot swappable bays.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

"You asked for it"... I did indeed, that is why I am here.

Thank you for your detailed response, I will take all of your suggestions under advisement.

I did indeed take a look at the PBBM4 Benchmark prior to constructing this build.  I assumed there may be a bit of a lag in dual 6-core xeon adoption (due to cost?) as there were no builds on the list.  I was also uncertain as to how those results would translate to my content demands given the parameters for testing as outlined on the home page.

I am by no means married to a dual xeon build.  I'm not interested in throwing money away (again, that's why I'm here).  I'm simply looking for the system that will best meet the workflow demands I outlined in my initial post.

Thanks again,

Jim G.

• 3. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I 2nd EVERYTHING that Harm reply's including going with a single I7 over the Xeon with your budget. You could probably even get a 980X config with that budget versus a I7 930 overclocked. There is no way your dealing with uncompressed other than 1 stream of 8 bit 1080I29.97 with that drive arrangement and you definitely want a raid controller with larger raid 0 arrays. As a a side note, most of the Xeon boards take a 700W to 750 Watt PSU just to post with both CPU's. Remember the video card will pull around 200W to 220W. That alone will put you way over the PSU.

• 4. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Note: Although I realize that it was a very generalized, FYI kind of post - I was also partially influenced by your What PC to build? thread Harm.  I saw that a dual xeon workstation was listed as (what I took to be) the top preformer but it looks like I mis-interpretted the information in that thread.  Does the power in that system depend more on the raid array?

Thanks Again,

Jim G

• 5. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

1 last thing I forgot to mention. The only Xeon board that I have seen with the bios opened up enough to overclock the CPU's has been the EVGA 5520 board. You likely will not be able to overclock the Xeons on that Supermicro.

• 6. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Actually it is a combination of factors, CPU, memory and disk setup.

At the same clock speed and the same memory timings, there is no doubt that a 12 core system will perform better than a 6 core system. Add to that the increased memory capacity (12 DIMM slots versus 6) and the dual Xeons will perform better, especially with the improved multi-threading in CS5.

What confuses the issue is overclocking. Running the CPU overclocked gives a performance gain even with less cores available, using faster memory than a server board allows a further performance gain. and in the end the difference may be negligent if one takes the price differential into consideration.

Now, in the guide you referenced, there is another big factor, that also decides performance and that is the disk setup. There is a reason for the price of the 'Warrior' model versus the 'Economical' model and that is largely the disk setup, which, if properly designed, will add up in $$$.

One last remark, because you may be wondering about that, is why do servers in general come with these limited PSU's? Because servers usually do not have power hungry advanced graphics cards, like the GTX-480.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

If the Areca card Harm mentioned is out of your Price range, the new Intel SAS 600 controllers have great performance and are really low priced for enterprise level raid cards.

• 8. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Again, thank you for the detailed and informative response.

I'm currently exploring a single chip i7-980X option using the ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB  3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

Any component suggestions?  I'm considering 2 sets of OCZ Reaper Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM  DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) for the memory

best regards,

Jim G

• 9. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Another person posted about those ram sticks. If you can get them to run at that latency great. If not then you run them at the Jedec 9 9 9 24 standard and you will be fine. Will you be using 6 of those or just 3 to start with?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117152&cm_re=Intel_SAS_controller -_-16-117-152-_-Product

Take a look at that for the controller.  Excellent performance and managment software.

• 10. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Thanks ECBowen,

I will certainly be looking into all of the hardware suggestions posted here (and in other threads).

I will most likely go with 6 sticks of whatever memory I end up going with.  Coming down to a single i7 from the dual Xeon gives me a bit of headroom to play with as the bosses have already recovered from the $5k sticker shock!

Jim G

• 11. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

6 sticks will be allot harder to clock at that latency especially if you will be overclocking the 980X at all. I would run 6 at the Jedec standard. Memory errors can cause the most havoc with corruption and can be the hardest to identify since they often can be inconstant now days with the I7 Tri Channel and the memory controller residing in the CPU.

One last note - The new WD Raptors have ridiculous write speed performance with that controller I mentioned. You will really like that combo if you end up getting the raptor drives as Harm mentioned.

• 12. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Jim,

Beware of the cooler fins on these sticks. They may be so high that they may get in the way of the CPU cooler of your choice. Some Kingston Hyper-X sticks and some Corsair Dominator sticks have the same problem. Be sure to take the physical dimensions into consideration.

While Eric is correct about the timings, I have OCZ Platimum 1333 sticks with a specced timing of 7-7-7-20 running in an overclocked @ 3.7 GHz system using 7-7-7-16 timings without problems @ 1.54V and all sockets occupied. But try to get a hex kit. It is better than two tri kits.

• 13. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

BTW those Noctua heat sinks are 5 to 6 inches tall on average. You need to clear 6 inches in the case for sure to install them. They are great though if you have a case for them.

• 14. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                    Baz R Level 3

for cpu coolers I would go for the Noctua NH-U9DX or The Larger NH-U12DX.

Also have a look at the cosmos S.

good luck

Baz

• 15. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                      Baz R Level 3

this is a image of the inside of a cosmos S, I have install x2 extra fans on the top for better cooling, also if using same cpu cooler you must remove stock 220mm side panel fan from cosmos s.

baz

• 16. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                        Marek Jedi99

Hello Harm,

I would like to hear your thoughts on my possible setup :

Intel® Server Board S5520SCR

Intel® Workstation Chassis SC5650WS 1000W

2x Intel® Xeon® Processor X5680- 3.33GHz

Intel® Thermal Solution STS100C (Combo)

Intel® X25-M Mainstream SATA Solid-State Drive - 160GB - as system disk

AXX25DRVADPTR - 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Convertor Kit

2x KVR1333D3D4R9SK3/12GI / 24GB

4x WD Caviar Black 1000GB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-inch 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive (not sure yet about raid)

VGA Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 480, PCIE 2.0, 1536MB, 384bit, GDDR5

blu-ray/dvd burner

windows 7 64bit pro version

plus I have 6TB raid backup for archive, and I am copying most sensitive stuff or work almost each night to this backup

(Intel® Entry Storage System SS4200, with parity based data protection)

I am doing mostly 3D+AE, so I will use it mainly for rendering from XSI, VUE and possible render in MAX, with many jobs done

in AE, but I am doing a lot of authoring too, and I like CS5 Premiere, so I would like to edit too, mostly HD from different sources,

or encoding.... (dslr, red camera, xdcam ex, and many avchd sources)

I sold older comp, and now I am working on i7 920 with 6GB ram, 4TB (700GB is raid1 mirroring for backup) with Ge force GTX260

and I need new comp, hopefully to get money for this xeon setup...,

of course i7 980x is other option, but I think this xeon with will render much faster (3d + AE), and I know I need more disk to get

better performance for Premiere..

thanx for any thoughtss..

Marek

• 17. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Marek, did you bother to read this whole thread where the suggestion is to forget dual Xeon's for CS5?

• 18. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                            Marek Jedi99 Level 1

yes Bill, I read it

but I mentioned, that main reason is to render in 3D aplications and using it for AE.

and as I have cpu and memory intensive compositions and 3d renders I am sure dual xeons

with 24gb ram will do much better against i7 980x with 12gb of ram....

but anyway I posted it just to ask Harm to see what I can improve to use this setp also

for Premiere....

Marek

• 19. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Marek,

For Adobe you would not suffer a performance penalty from these specs, but when using Vue, you may benefit far more from two single CPU systems and using them as render cows for the same price as the dual CPU system you specced. Whenever I need to render Vue material, I use every available PC available and it all helps significantly. With 10 render cows, even if some are older and slower, and all used over a 1 Gb network, it reduces the render load so much, that I can still use my video machine for editing. I have asked Adobe to introduce the render farm concept like Vue for ages, but nothing yet. It is the main strength of Vue to offer that capability. BTW, on what version of Vue are you?

• 20. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                Marek Jedi99 Level 1

Hello Harm,

I am long time reader of there forums I just registered, after I bought upgrade for CS5.

and I yes I am still thinking what will be best for me... as main aplication for me is AE with

3d support from Softimage XSI, and starting to use Premiere as many more clients have now

access to HD footage.... well that was main reason to post here to check what people know.

Vue hmm, that was my hobby from times with AMIGA and VISTA landscapes, well old memories hehe

so as hobby I was playing with VUE from version 6 I think, and this year I am starting to learn it

quite hard, due two big projects for winter with a lot of architecture and my support with grass, big

landscapes, many trees, moving clouds, etc, etc..

I am on maintenance support, just checking Vue xStream 8.5 with my Softimage 2011, and testing

with friends Max 2011. So far working nicely....

as far as rendercows, for heavy renders I will use both comps, dual xeon (If I built one) with my i7 920 comp.

or if situation will be critical (I do not know yet how intensive will be render, full HD no flickering fly heh,

those fine tune settings in VUE are not always very fast to render..

and what you can recommned for using PREMIERE ? to get more disk in raid0 ? at least 4-6 disk just for raid ?

and I am sorry to drag this post off topic

thanx for your time Harm !

Marek

• 21. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Hello Everyone,

First I want to say thank you to the experienced & informed contributers to this thread.  I'm also glad that others have been able to get their own related questions answered here.

After taking a few days to research more hardware options and read up on these topics in more detail (based on the suggestions given here) I have come up with an alternate build utilizing a core i7 980x cpu.

I still have a few questions, (mostly about hard drive configuration) which I will outline after listing the build.

(note: I found this article by Harm Millaard, and his screen capture in response 5 of this thread extremely helpful.)

$300    ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

$1000  Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80613I7980X

$170    ABS Majesty series MJ1100-M Continuous 1100W@50°C ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified, Single 12V Rail, Modular

$400    G.SKILL PI+ Turbulence 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL6T2-12GBPIS

$528    EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

$170    COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

$450    Intel RS2BL080 PCI-Express 2.0 x8 SATA / SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) Controller Card

$600    (6) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$150    LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu-ray 3D feature SATA Model iHBS112

$680    (2) NEC EA231WMI-BK 23 inch Ws LCD 1920X1080 1000:1 VGA Black 14MS  Monitor

$23      ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Rough total on this build is $4,600 USD based on the above configuration.

A couple of notes:

• I haven't selected a heat sink yet.  Unlike the Xeons, I believe the i7s come with a stock unit but I will probably want an active sink.

• I am debating between the drives listed above and these 1TB Samsung Spinpoints which seem to be the default suggestion and are a little cheaper ($80 vs $100 US).  Thoughts on 6Gb vs 3Gb sata connection or 32MB vs 64MB cache?

• I am pretty attached to the case, I've read a lot of good things about it and I like the abundance of fans.  The tightly clustered internal 3.5" bays worry me a bit but I see that I can mount yet another fan on top of them to pull the heat away (I think that would make a total of 9 fans, I wonder if I am going to need earplugs!)

• I couldn't bite the bullet on 6x4GB of ram. At $1200 USD (for a matched six stick set as Harm suggested) it cost 3 times as much as 6x2GB.

• Some reviews say that spacing on this motherboard is tight, especially when trying to populate all memory and pci 16x slots.  This is the kind of thing that I have a hard time visualizing though so if there is someone who likes/is good at checking clearances feel free .  The only additional component would be a 4x pci adapter for our BlackMagic Multibridge which is just an external slot adapter.

My general idea for hard drive configuration is as follows but I would certainly welcome input on this:

HD 1 = O/S & applications connected via MoBo 6Gb SATA socket

HD 2 = pagefile/scratch/render connected via MoBo 6Gb SATA socket

HD 3-6 = raid 0 media disk via the raid card's 6Gb sas/sata channel (backed up nightly to external NAS)

Keep in mind that my primary concern is the ability to capture a 40-60 minute live HD stream (primarily 10-bit 4:2:2 1080i-60), perform minimal editing/correction, and then render it out in less than 12 hours.  We also will have secondary recording units running as back-up (all utilizing some form of compression unfortunately).  Our workflow at this point is pretty much straight Adobe, from Premiere through Encore as listed in the OP.

Thank you again for weighing in on this project. I hope my research has paid off and that this build is a bit better received than the original one I posted.

Jim G

• 22. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

A couple of notes:

• I haven't selected a heat sink yet.  Unlike the Xeons, I believe the i7s come with a stock unit but I will probably want an active sink.
                                                  •  

Noctua NH-D14.

• I am debating between the drives listed above and these 1TB Samsung Spinpoints which seem to be the default suggestion and are a little cheaper ($80 vs $100 US).  Thoughts on 6Gb vs 3Gb sata connection or 32MB vs 64MB cache?

Samsung Spinpoints have less trouble with raid configurations, due to the WDTLER utility that the Caviar Balcks come with.

• I couldn't bite the bullet on 6x4GB of ram. At $1200 USD (for a matched six stick set as Harm suggested) it cost 3 times as much as 6x2GB.

24 GB is pretty darn expensive and I have the same feelings as you. I would stick with 12 for the time being.

• Some reviews say that spacing on this motherboard is tight, especially when trying to populate all memory and pci 16x slots.  This is the kind of thing that I have a hard time visualizing though so if there is someone who likes/is good at checking clearances feel free .  The only additional component would be a 4x pci adapter for our BlackMagic Multibridge which is just an external slot adapter.
                                                  •  

Here are some pictures of my systems and the intestines, so you can judge for yourself whether is is a tight fit. Mind you, my system is populated with 17 HDD's and two BR burners.

P1000204.JPG

14 disks in the front and 3 in the rear.

P1000207.JPG

Additional 25 cm fan in the side panel.

P1000208.JPG

Sufficient room for 6 sticks.

P1000209.JPG

No problems with space.

P1000210.JPG

Nvidia GTX-480 and Areca ARC-1680-iX-12 installed, with an additional fan on the PSU for extra cooling of both PCIe cards.

P1000211.JPG

Only a limited shot of some of my disks (there are 14 of them closely mounted) and no problems with temperatures. But I have fans for each drive cage.

• 23. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                      Baz R Level 3

Harm

Fan on the PSU, did I copy You or did you Copy Me. LOL

your CPU cooler could do with a clean.

Baz

• 24. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Baz, not only the CPU cooler, but the whole lot of it. We have two cats here, one of which is a Norwegian forest cat, who loses hair like crazy with summer coming up, and the fact that I'm a smoker...

• 25. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

two words: wow.

Thanks for posting the images Harm and for the information about the Caviar Blacks.

Has there been any info floating around on the benefits (or lack thereof) of using a 6Gb sata link?  Does the 3Gb sata pipeline typically play a factor in system bottlenecks or is it mostly read/write speed of the disks themselves?

The screen shot I linked to showed you using a small raptor as an OS disk.  Do you think I would be better served going that route for the OS & scratch disks as opposed to the 1TB Blacks @ 7200RPM/6GB sata? edit: A little googling showed seek/read times for the Raptors MUCH lower than the WD

Lastly, it looks like I will have room for at least two more disks in the Raid (6+1+1+DVD+BR+HDD fan leaves one slot for future use).  Couldn't hurt right?

Thanks again,

Jim G

• 26. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                            Does the 3Gb sata pipeline typically play a factor in system bottlenecks or is it mostly read/write speed of the disks themselves?

You will encounter a limitation only when using large arrays and then the limitation is not the SATA bus, but the PCIe bus. With large arrays it is quite common to achieve 800+ MB/s transfer rates, but then you run into the limitations of the PCIe bus. Adding more disks will have a minimal effect or none at all. Mind you, we are talking here about 8+ disk single level arrays or 12+ multi-level arrays.

Your next question is hard to answer, since you are comparing 10,000 Velociraptors with 7,200 normal disks, and 16 or 32 MB cache Velociraptors with 64 MB cache on the new WD Blacks. Of course the higher spindle speed has advantages in average access time, but that may be negated by the smaller cache. I think it is about even in performance.

• 27. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                              Baz R Level 3

Hi,

Hope you dont mind, have a look at this.

Just a few recomendations

PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171022

Memory x2 kits.

As if you were to install a Large Cpu cooler you need the standard size memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104190

You are better going for the Newer Cosmos S, as the RC has no HD Cooling. and The cosmos Has better cooling as standard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119150

Pioneer are very good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129051

Areca cost a little more, it has Raid 3 that is best for Editing ect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151023

I am Using 1x WD 150gb Velociraptor for Os/programs and I am using 3x for Page/cache/temp, the rest are Samsung F3 1tb HD103SJ

And Noctua NH-D14 best Air Cooler.

Good luck with your build

Baz

• 28. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Thanks again for the input Harm, Studio, and everyone else.

I just put through the order for this build pretty much as outlined in my last post except for the following:

• I went with the 2x Raptors for OS & scratch and 5 Spinpoints (Newegg order limit or I would have grabbed 6) for the media/capture raid

• I kept the 6 stick matched set of memory.  Harm's pictures made it look as though the Noctua stopped just shy of the last slot.

• I added in a pci-e to express card reader for our P2 cards (needed a front mount so that cost way too much)

• I picked up a UPS while I was at it.

• I had to order the displays from B & H as Amazon was sold out.  Same price and I was waiting to purchase a small audio mixer from there anyway.

I forgot to grab thermal compound but I can pick some up locally.  Once my credit card cools down I will move on to software!

I'll keep this thread updated and I'll be sure to submit my benchmarks once I get up and running.

Thanks again everyone,

Jim G

• 29. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                                  Baz R Level 3

Hi,

Harms CPU COOLER is the NH-U12, if you went for the NH-14 then you will need to replace the fan for a smaller one to fit. As the NH-14 with fan goes upto the second memory slot.

anyway good luck with your build, and hope you are happy with it.

Baz

• 30. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)

Update and Pics:

Everything arrived from the Egg on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I got everyone together for a group shot before I began the assembly:

Pre-Build.jpg

Things went pretty smooth considering the last time I built a PC was in 2003.  I made sure to take my time and read the documentation for all the components before I installed them (gasp!).  I also snapped about 90 pictures so it definitely took awhile to put together - I decided to enjoy the process, it might be another 7 years before I get to put together a rig this sweet.

A couple of notes:

• I wasn't a fan of the squeal that the cpu locking bracket made as I engaged it over the $1k processor.
                                                                    • I love the power supply. Solid, large fan, and I was able to use all but one of the pre-wired connectors which minimized clutter.  As someone pointed out, the psu/board/case combo meant that 8-pin 12v connector was too short to route nicely. I ended up having to take it up and over the GPU and the Noctua cooler.
                                                                    • Speaking of the Noctua...man that thing is gi-normous!  My boss saw it sitting on the desk and asked what it was.  I told him it was the radiator off of a '52 buick.  I did have to move the fan up to clear the tall ram modules I purchased but there was enough room to do so without touching the case wall (by about half an inch).
                                                                    • The only case mod I had to make was removing the hot-swap quick latch from one of the 5 inch bays to accommodate the P2 card reader.

Unfortunately, even though the rig is fully assembled, work schedules and deadlines have prevented me from firing it up yet (not even once!).  I'm practicing patience.  And it gives my boss and I time to argue about the raid set up (raid 5 v raid 10).  Harm, can you provide a link to your article on the subject please so I can forward it to him?

Ok, enjoy the pics.  And thanks again for all of the suggestions and advice.

IMAG0116.jpg

Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 steel case.  4 exhaust fans, 11 bays, e-sata on front, HUGE...love it.

IMAG0143.jpg

bottom mount PSU

IMAG0164.jpg

Asus p6x58d premium with Noctua mount attached

IMAG0168.jpg

G-skill 6x2gb ddr31600 sdram (6-8-6-20)

IMAG0152.jpg

the buick

IMAG0180.jpgIMAG0184.jpgIMAG0186.jpg

hard to see but there is no touching...barely

IMAG0188.jpg

once in the case the heat sink looked almost normal!

IMAG0199.jpg

overclocked gtx480 from eVGA.  Also a good look at all the ubs & firewire connectors (bottom edge) and the sata ports (4 - 3Gb/, and 2 - 6Gb/s) stacked two high on the right edge (partially under the GPU) with a couple more on the bottom.

Ok, more later.  Thanks again.

Jim G

• 31. Re: Dual 6-core Xeon Editing Workstation (Critique/Suggestions)
                                                                      Baz R Level 3

looking good Jim,

hope it fires up good.

btw what are the heat sinks made out of, look plastic from the images. ???

baz