9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 9:22 AM by the_wine_snob

need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2

tumpStobber55

I can drag a large high rez jpeg into timeline. Then when I click to playback....it gets more pixelated. That's a bad beginning. Then, when I go to export it, I've tried several extensions. All look bad during playback on YouTube. This should be pretty simple. High quality jpeg, but is fuzzy in movie. What's going wrong?

• 1. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
          nealeh Level 5

Resize your image to the target resolution using your preferred image program (e.g. PhotoShop Elements). What is happening is that PRE has to resize your hi-res image to match your output - and PRE just isn't designed to resize still images and produces a pretty poor result. Usual recommendation is to resize the image to 1,000x750 pixels before loading into PRE.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
            tumpStobber55 Level 1

oh thanks. First, I create my jpegs in Photoshop CS4. What size and dpi should I create them in Photoshop exactly?

• 3. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Neale has the correct instructions, regarding the Scaling of the images, outside of PrE. Premiere is a video editing program, and not an image processor. It does a few things with still, but Scaling is not one of that it does a good job with.

This ARTICLE will give you some background, and also a suggested workflow for automating the Scaling in Photoshop. This is one place where bigger is NOT better. Not only will the quality improve, but the extensive overhead on your computer will be lessened greatly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
                nealeh Level 5

If I want the whole image I resize the largest dimension to 1,000 pixels with constrain proportions set and leave Photoshop to determine the other axis. DPI remains the same.

For example a photo of 3,872 x 2,592 resizes to 1,000 x 669. H-Res and V-Res stay constant at 72 dpi.

If I'm cropping I set the crop tool to 1,000 px x 750 px and leave resolution blank.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For video, DPI/PPI play no role. The general default is set to 72 ppi, but that is basically ignored. PPI only comes into play for display on a computer screen, and DPI for printing.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you are doing an SD Project (my guess, based on PrE 2.0), that 1000 x 750 is a good rule of thumb, as it will allow a bit of Panning on a Zoomed out image. Personally, I will Scale to the exact Frame Size of my Project, to keep PrE/PrPro from doing ANY Scaling. If I do need to Pan on a Zoomed out image, I will calculate the movement that is required, and Scale to that size in PS. Depending on my Project, I might Scale to several different sizes, for some images, and then the bulk at my 720 x 480 size.

When I do the Scaling, the video-editing program is set with Scale to Frame OFF.

• 6. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
                    tumpStobber55 Level 1

Sorry guys, but my still image still looks bad when I press play in PRE. I sized my image to 1000 x 850, kept rez at 150dpi....in Photoshop first. Made it a jpeg. Then imported it into PRE. It looks great when I press Pause, but as soon as I press PLAY, it gets all pixelated.

Thank you for trying to help. I'm not planning to do any zooming or scanning. Nothing fancy. Maybe I should set something in my preferences that I don't know about.

• 7. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

When you drag the stills to the Timeline, there should be a red line above them. Press Enter to Render the Timeline.

Do not know the particulars of PrE 2, but in later versions, you can Rt-click on the Program Monitor, and choose Magnification = 100%, rather than Fit. You might have to resize your Program Monitor, but check at 100%.

Also remember a few points:

1.) You are looking at a DVD-quality image now, and that was designed with low-rez CRT TV's in mind, and NOT hi-rez computer monitors. DVD vs hi-rez sources and displays is probably less than what VHS vs DVD was, not that long ago.

2.) You are looking at an emulation, a preview

3.) Your images have already been compressed to JPEG once, loosing quality. That is why I always work in PSD, especially if there has already been one JPEG compression, whether in camera, or in the image processing stage. I keep JPEG either out of my workflow, or as limited, as is possible. Some do not see the quality loss with JPEG compression, but I do, and if I can create images that are as good as it gets, I know that my clients will be happy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
                        tumpStobber55 Level 1

hi Bill -

ok fine. I have PSDs too. I tried what you said.

I put a PSD right beside a JPEG in the timeline. I rendered it (which I

didn't know to do because the instructions don't even mention it. The

instructions are terrible. Seems it leaves out a lot of info.)

So, then I click PLAY on my monitor. I see no difference between the PSD

and the JPEG yet. So, if I want to put this on YouTube, what's the best way

exactly, without gettting too technical?  It looks like I have the choice

between Exporting in Mpeg or Quicktime or Windows Media. I think youtube

likes wmv.

To: Tommy Midyette <midyette@mindspring.com>

Date: 6/3/2010 10:01:24 AM

Subject: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2

>

When you drag the stills to the Timeline, there should be a red line

above them. Press Enter to Render the Timeline.

Do not know the particulars of PrE 2, but in later versions, you can

Rt-click on the Program Monitor, and choose Magnification = 100%, rather

than Fit. You might have to resize your Program Monitor, but check at 100%.

Also remember a few points:

1.) You are looking at a DVD-quality image now, and that was designed

with low-rez CRT TV's in mind, and NOT hi-rez computer monitors. DVD vs

hi-rez sources and displays is probably less than what VHS vs DVD was, not

that long ago.

2.) You are looking at an emulation, a preview

3.) Your images have already been compressed to JPEG once, loosing

quality. That is why I always work in PSD, especially if there has already

been one JPEG compression, whether in camera, or in the image processing

stage. I keep JPEG either out of my workflow, or as limited, as is

possible. Some do not see the quality loss with JPEG compression, but I do,

and if I can create images that are as good as it gets, I know that my

clients will be happy.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 9. Re: need help with Adobe Premiere Elements 2
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For YouTube, I would go with the suggestions in the FAQ Entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - where I see the big difference between JPEG's and PSD's is with Projects burned to DVD and viewed through a set-top player. I can also pick up the differences in my calibrated CRT reference monitor. On a computer monitor with the Program Monitor, the differences are much more subtle.