6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 12:35 PM by rtprtp

Capture Problems with PE7 & Windows7, please help!!

rtprtp Level 1

Hi All,

Background: I have had no problems capturing HDV on PE7 using Vista for one year.

Now: Just purchased a kick butt Alienware quad core (i have used my old Vista Alienware computer with no problems prior.) Now when I try to capture HDV, the scenes play in the capture window (they never would in Vista) and I am getting digital distortion throughout the finished capture, completely unusable. Sound and video are synced perfectly however.

Please make any suggestions to correct this.

Thanks!!!

Stan

• 1. Re: Capture Problems with PE7 & Windows7, please help!!
          nealeh Level 5

See  Got a Problem? How to Get Started

For basics though:

• install all Windows Updates
          • install latest QuickTime (v.7.6.6 at time of writing)
          • update all drivers (especially video and sound) from manufacturers web sites (you say the computer is new. Almost by definition this means drivers are out of date).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Capture Problems with PE7 & Windows7, please help!!
            rtprtp Level 1

Thanks Neale,

How do I update drivers, and which ones? You help will be greatly appreciated!

Stan

• 3. Re: Capture Problems with PE7 & Windows7, please help!!
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>How do I update drivers

You make a list of ALL hardware in your computer

You go to the individual web sites for each vendor

You download and install device drivers from each vendor

• 4. Re: Capture Problems with PE7 & Windows7, please help!!
                rtprtp Level 1

Thanks John. I am actually on the phone with Alienware now. They

are diagnosing and updating my computer as we speak. I will let you know how I make out.

The interesting thing is that PE7 runs great so far on my new Windows 7 laptop. Standard capture works fine. Brought in some MOV files and they edited effortlessly. I would have been happy with Vista on my new computer, but Dell said I could not buy it that way. ugh.

Stan

• 5. Re: Capture Problems with PE7 & Windows7, please help!!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I would also make a list of the drivers (especially for my graphics card and audio card) from Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Advanced>Device Drivers (or similar, depending on OS version), so that I had the driver number and date.

Be a bit careful as there could be OS-specific driver versions, and you want these to match.

Also, if you find newer drivers, be very sure to read the installation instructions. These will usually be download, then just execute that file, and all is done for you. However, some cards drivers might require that you first disable the old driver, or maybe even change setting in the card's driver console. Check this out carefully, as different drivers might need to be installed in a particular way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Capture Problems with PE7 & Windows7, please help!!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Stan,

After the "updating" has been done, do check the driver version numbers, especially for the video card and audio card/chip. Dell (Alienware) is one of the better companies, but might use an updating utility, that could well grab a much older driver. This happens often with the Windows Driver Update, and also several add-on utilities. They do NOT get the latest.

Now, and especially if you have an Alienware laptop, the drivers might well be proprietary Dell versions, and the newest regular drivers might not yet have been rewritten. That is something to check out.

Good luck,

Hunt