5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 2:24 AM by nealeh

Right Third of Screen Distorted During Capture

dswift743

I'm capturing video from a Sony FX1000 onto PE4.  I have an HP with XP 2002, 3.06 GHz, Pentium 4, 3 GB Ram.  I'm trying to capture in HD 1080i, 16:9.  Problem is I'm only getting good quality in a 4:3 on the left side of the frame.  The rest of the frame to the right is sharp enough, but colors are distorted.

settings.jpg

These are my settings: NTSC HDV-HDV 1080i30.  I believe I have the camera set up properly.  iLink conversion is properly "Off," and I've followed other directions in the manual.  But obviously I am missing something somewhere.

I have also directed PE to draw through the Firewire, and not the USB.  Any hints or suggestions would be welcomed.

I tried to get a picture of the image I'm getting, but for some reason when I hit PrtScn and paste on Paint, the capture screen comes up black.

Thanks for the help (I need a lot),

Doug

• 1. Re: Right Third of Screen Distorted During Capture
          nealeh Level 5

I saw a reference by Bill Hunt in your other thread suggesting that you are based in the UK. If this is so shouldn't you be using a PAL preset?

After loading into PRE, with the distortion, share it to a re-writeable DVD or DV-AVI file and see if the output looks good in playback on a real DVD Player. If it does it means we are dealing just with display issues and nothing more serious.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Right Third of Screen Distorted During Capture
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

That could be a red herring, as I was referencing a UK Web site, that Doug had linked to - I might have jumped to an assumption, but the location can be very important, so it is worth asking.

Doug,

Can you also post a screen-cap of the Program Monitor and Timeline, showing the distortion, that you are referring to? That might prove helpful to us in trying to diagnose this issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Right Third of Screen Distorted During Capture
              dswift743 Level 1

And right you are, Neale. It was just a problem in the capture window.  I hadn't even imported the captured image into PE.  Now that I have, it looks great, if jumpy (I assume that will take care of itself too.)

Hopefully, now I can just go out and do what I really love, which is cinematography.  Couldn't do it without the help from this board.

And by the way, I'm from Zanesville, OH.  Hunt's right, it was just that link that was from the UK.

Cheers,

Doug

• 4. Re: Right Third of Screen Distorted During Capture
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted. When I saw Neale's comment, I was worried that I had messed things up badly. Since he IS in the UK, he spotted the NTSC aspect immediately.

Enjoy your shooting!

Hunt

• 5. Re: Right Third of Screen Distorted During Capture
                  nealeh Level 5

I'm glad it 's working for you after all. Having confirmed it is a display only issue the most likely candidates to fix it are to:

• install the latest QuickTime (v7.6.6 at time of writing)
                  • update your graphic drivers to the latest version from the manufacturers web site.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children