21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2010 9:44 PM by Kobi_Sargeant

Does CS5 Work?

rockyw

I gave up on CS4 because of all the problems. Is CS5 working solid, or as well as CS3 does? A couple areas that were concerns in CS4 were, The adobe Encoder, will the one in CS5 export as fast as the one in CS3 with standard DV editing? Also when exporting frames, did they fix this in CS5? can I export a frame in a couple clicks like in CS3? I think the export frame in CS4 went through the encoder or something. I hope they learned from CS4 and fixed a lot of things. Thanks for any information.

• 1. Re: Does CS5 Work?
          shooternz Level 6

You are going to have to trial it for your self.

• 2. Re: Does CS5 Work?
            sync2rhythm Level 1

CS5 is working Rock Solid for me but as suggested, I'd recommend installing the Trial(s) and seeing how it runs on your individual setup. I say this simply because what works on my Workstation may NOT work on yours and vice versa. I've learned that the hard way by purchasing a certain computer that I've seen/heard others having success with. For me, it was a $4000 paper weight.

- There is a duplicating "Title Name" issue that I'm not sure whether it's a bug or Operator Error/MisUnderstanding.

Also, if you're like me and keep your eyes on the forums you'll have a pretty good idea about stability by gauging the problems of others... which may or may not necessarily also be a problem of yours.

• 3. Re: Does CS5 Work?
              tnsprin Level 1

Agree he should trial.  For me Cs3 didn't work well at all, and Cs4 worked badly until a couple maintenance releases, and then started working very well.  CS5 has worked extremely well for me even before some of the recent fixes.

Only wish the trial worked worked for Mpeg2 and AVC which is what all my recent projects are.  But the Good News these worked well for me and I have an ATI (i.e. non-CUDA) graphic card.

• 4. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                Marko Paajanen Level 1

The short answer is that if it only works for half of us, no it does not work. I'm happy to hear someone is using CS5 without problems, I personally don't know anyone who's got any of it working properly. It's good advice to suggest the trial first. I've tried all the trials since CS3 and non of them have convinced me that they have been thoroughly written. I've tried everything to get the trial of CS5 to work on my new Mac Pro, and non of the apps in the Master Collection will launch with the exception of AI and PS (they won't quit when you shut them down)! I've been through every single suggestion from Adobe, and others I've sought assistance from. I bought a new computer with high hopes that when I could afford the Master Collection I could take advantage of all this new tech, it's looking like I should have stayed in the stone ages.

• 5. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I can't comment on the Mac version, but the Win version is working just fine for me... editing AVCHD from a Canon Vixia HFS100

My computer is listed on my notes page at http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

I will say that what Adobe has (always) listed as system requirements will NOT result in a "happy" editing experience, since the program will load and run... but not very fast if you just meet the minimum requirements

• 6. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                    jeremy d. Level 3

I'm confused -- do you have the Master Collection or not?

If you have it, you should install the whole thing in one shot, and if you only need some of the products from it, install those from the Collection dvds.

I've tried everything to get the trial of CS5 to work on my new Mac Pro, and non of the apps in the Master Collection will launch with the exception of AI and PS (they won't quit when you shut them down)! I've been through every single suggestion from Adobe, and others I've sought assistance from. I bought a new computer with high hopes that when I could afford the Master Collection I could take advantage of all this new tech, it's looking like I should have stayed in the stone ages.
                    • 7. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                      Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

Yes, it works great on the RIGHT hardware.  Best version by far of Premiere yet.  Very stable and twice as fast when MPE is enabled.  But you need the right Nvidia card.

• 8. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                        Luis Ortega Level 1

I have the production premium on a mac pro and I have noticed a lag in the time it takes for some windows or menus in Photoshop to respond and that the brush tool sometimes lags a bit behind the cursor. I also use Flash a lot and it seems fine. My avchd camcorder footage has problems in Premiere Pro. It looks much worse and sometimes breaks up some pixels when playing a timeline clip. The same clips play fine when I use Final Cut Pro.

I have a dual quad core xeon cpus and 16 gb ram and lots of hard drive space, so it should not feel so much more sluggish than my previous version, CS3.

• 9. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Minimum requirements is for being able to edit DV.

• 10. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                            Marko Paajanen Level 1

The trial of the Master Collection.

• 11. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                              Marko Paajanen Level 1

I'm on a Mac, not much choice in video cards. I have the a new 8 core machine. I use FCP to edit video.

• 12. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                                beaucamera Level 1

I'm having the same dilemma....I was looking for GeForce GTX 285, but no one seems to have them.

B&H, in fact, lists them as discontinued.

I'd sure like to know what other video card choices there are for GUI, under $500. 

Well, Adobe, are you going to leave Premier CS5 users hanging?

• 14. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                                  beaucamera Level 1

Thanks, John. 

Even using this list, I'm having trouble finds cards in stock and, so far, nothing in the under $500 range.

Try Gogling these cards, then click on a vendor and most of the time there is no stock.

Virginia

• 15. Re: Does CS5 Work?

Well, if you consider 499.95 to be under 500, the nVidia 480 - with the hack - might do what you want

Note that I have a supported 285 card so have no idea how well the hack works

And, the 470 card seems to be about $350 - again, you would need to use the hack since it is not (yet) supported

• 16. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                                      beaucamera Level 1

John, where did you find your 285?

I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Virginia

P.S. I'm running Windows 7.

• 17. Re: Does CS5 Work?

I bought my computer components April 23 from Newegg, so it is possible they don't have any now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133256

Added... just looked, shows none available... but Newegg does have the GTX 470 and it is supposed to work with the hack (from what I've read) http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557

• 18. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                                          beaucamera Level 1

As luck would have it!

Do you know and good books to use as a reference for Premier CS5?

I've been working with Sony Vega Studio Platinum 9 up until now.

I'm capturing an HD video from tape and I'm having trouble seeing the capture on screen.

I'm sure it's something simple, but when you're just starting out things like this are bothersome.  My screen message is Playing video on hardware.

This is the first video I've tried with CS5.

I have about 20 minutes of tape to fiddle around with.

Virginia

• 19. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                                            tclark513 Level 3

beaucamera wrote:

As luck would have it!

Do you know and good books to use as a reference for Premier CS5?

I've been working with Sony Vega Studio Platinum 9 up until now.

I'm capturing an HD video from tape and I'm having trouble seeing the capture on screen.

I'm sure it's something simple, but when you're just starting out things like this are bothersome.  My screen message is Playing video on hardware.

This is the first video I've tried with CS5.

I have about 20 minutes of tape to fiddle around with.

Virginia

That's the way it is.  HD does not preview in the monitor.  You need to send the signal from your camera to the external monitor to see it.

• 20. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                                              Eric Addison User Group Manager
                                              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

beaucamera wrote:

Thanks, John. 

Even using this list, I'm having trouble finds cards in stock and, so far, nothing in the under $500 range.

I just got a GTX 470, and it's working great. I got it at Best Buy for $375...I would highly recommend that card for you.

• 21. Re: Does CS5 Work?
                                                Kobi_Sargeant Level 1

This card is available on Amazon for $254:  BFG BFGEGTX275896OCE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 OC 896MB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card.

I can't say how its performance compares to the 285 etc, but I can tell you that it responds just fine to "the hack" and provides GPU acceleration option thereafter.  I read elsewhere that the GTX275 has the same number of CUDA cores as the 285 (240 of them).