13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2011 2:30 PM by Paul R Stark

Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth

bradleysteenkamp

I get this message: "A Parameter error has occured" when I try to open a Premiere Pro project in soundbooth.

The manual states that Soundbooth CS5 can import Prem CS5 files so why am I getting this error message?

Anyone had this happen?

• 1. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of thoughts: your installation of SB is not right. The WAV file association has been seized by some other program. Go to Folder Options (or similar) and check the program/file type association.

How are you attempting to "Import" the PrPro file in SB and which type of file?

Can you Rt-click on an Audio file in PrPro, and choose Open in SB? That is the normal method.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - corrected typo

• 2. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
            bradleysteenkamp Level 1

Well, it works ok if I wish to open a single file in SB but what I want to do is work on the audio from the Premiere Pro project as a whole. The manual says that SB can import Prem projects much like FCP can but linked with Soundtrack.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is actually possible!

• 3. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
              Taverino Level 2

Best you can do is to edit a single audio clip. Nothing at all like the dynamic relationship between Premiere Pro and After Effects.

I really like Soundbooth. It does a great job tweaking audio files. But I get the impression the development team consists of a single guy in a converted storage closet in the basement of Adobe. Just look at the puny number of improvements that were included in Soundbooth for CS5. I'm hoping Adobe is working on something more strategic and more integrated into the Creative Suite. Looks like we may have a long wait. I get the impression that it isn't Soundbooth.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, so you are trying to Import the PrProj into SB. Unless that was added, it has never been possible.

Like working with SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition, if I want to work with the entire Audio Track, I just Export the Audio, or perhaps a single Audio Track, Import that, and then Export as a PCM/WAV to replace the Audio on that Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                  bradleysteenkamp Level 1

Thanks guys,

Very unfortunate to hear as I kind of assumed it would be properly integrated with Prem as a post mixing solution but it seems it isnt! Still useful for noise reduction and some basic processing of single audio files I guess.

• 6. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'd rather like to see ADL include SB (and Audition, my choice), but wonder if that will ever happen.

Then, I'd like to see SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro Scoring issued as a plug-in for PrPro, like it currently is for FCP. Maybe soon.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                      .dustin

I just stumbled upon that "prameter error" messge as I was trying to open a premiere project in soundbooth...

That many people think it is not possible comes to me as a surprise, as I remember doing exactly that (linking a prproj in soundbooth, then linking the sb file into premiere -- I just had to remember to mute the audio tracks accordingly) in a CS4 version on the mac about half a year ago...

I cannot figure out why it stopped working in CS5.... what am I missing here?

Maybe I should file a bugreport...

all the best,

.dustin

• 8. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Soundbooth CS4 has the menu for File>Adobe Dynamic Link>Import Premiere Pro Sequence...

But that is not the same as importing the project file with the .prproj extension.

(And for some reason, the actual Import part of that is greyed out for me.  Not sure why.)

• 9. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                          .dustin Level 1

That menu command somehow disappeared in CS5... at first I thought it might have been due to the 64bit transition, but encore(32bit) works fine with dynamic link... I filed a bug-report...

I guess you are right, you should get a little dialog box to choose a specific sequence within a project that way...

Did you try to make a multitrack-file first and then do the dynamic-link import?

best regards,

.dustin

• 10. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I didn't think to create anything inside of Soundbooth first.  I'll give it a go.

• 11. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                              JoFish19

I'm having a problem as well.  In CS4.

I open Soundbooth, start a new multitrack file, then go to dynamic link>import premiere sequence  I select the file, then the sequence, then ok, and SB looks like it tries to do something, but inevitably every time I get a "Not Responding" as it lingers there forever.  Sometimes I get a % import bar, and it never moves from 0%.   The project I'm importing is pretty long, and it consists of 6 audio tracks, so I thought maybe it's too big.  So I tried a :40 sequence with one audio track, and still it crashes.

So... what's up with that?  I was kind of hoping to be able to master the audio for this film using SB, since I am using Premiere and AE, and bought this stuff thinking it all worked great together.  Which it probably does, and I'm doing something wrong.

Someone help me please.

-Joe

• 12. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                                mdubuque Level 1

So is it a helpful and key concept here to import critical audio files FIRST into Soundbooth and THEN into PrPro RATHER than doing the Soundbooth work AFTER the PrPro work?

Do we have a consensus on that?  Not sure.

If so, a critical and key concept!

Matt

• 13. Re: Problems linking Premiere Pro and Soundbooth
                                  Paul R Stark Level 1

Matt,

Just ran across this trying to accomplish a quick way to apply effects to audio clips from PP. Next time, short of purchasing CS5.5 Audition which Jim Simon reports can take an entire sequence into it, I will "polish" the raw audio clips in Soundbooth before importing them in PP.

As far as I am concerned, yes, we have a consensus--at least of two.

Thanks.

Paul