9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 7:09 PM by the_wine_snob

Lynda.com files not opening

mindiaz

Hi, I'm using the PP 4.2.1 and just subscribed to Lynda.com. When I open their Premiere Pro files, it says "not responding" and hangs or asks me to link to media which I do and then it hangs.

Kevin at Lynda technical support told me to check I have latest update and if that doesn't help to contact Adobe direct, very helpful - not.

Any ideas what I can try next? Thanks

• 1. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the format of the Lynda.com files, MOV? Do you know what CODEC is contained in them? G-SPOT can likely tell you. If they are MOV, then do you have Apple's QT Player installed? Which version?

Just thinking here, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
            mindiaz Level 1

Hi, I'm using QT 7.6.6 (1671) and here's the Gspot info. Thanks for helping.

Gspot1.jpg

• 3. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks. You should be able to play them without issue.

Do those files play fine in QT Player?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
                mindiaz Level 1

Hope the Lynda tech guys reaad this and can help. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

While that is a possibility, I would not hold my breath. Most of their T/S department is probably busy reading their e-mails, fielding calls, and working on the tutorials. This is not meant to disparage Lynda.com in any way, as I have always fully enjoyed their tutorials and books. PrPro is but one of their products.

OTOH, I have had optical media (from other companies), that was defective. Going back some years, all of the CD's with a Painter (before Corel) book wer lacking the PC versions of all files - only the Mac versions, when the publisher had promised the author that they were dual-format and all was good. Stuff happens.

Also, thinking back a bit, when CS4 came out, some purchasers of Curt Wrigley's Adobe Classroom in a Book Adobe PrPro CS4, had issues with some of the MOV files. Curt jumped in immediately and helped those folk. It's been over a year, and I do not recall the solution. I'd Search for "CiaB" and filter on me, or Curt Wrigley in the People section, as I commented and so did Curt. Wish my memory was better, but Curt did help those folk.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's one THREAD.

Here is another THREAD, but it was from a Mac-user.

Hope that something in there helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, if the issue is not with the files themselves, then maybe this ARTICLE will give you tips on setting your computer up for an editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
                        mindiaz Level 1

had a good look at your suggestions and unfortunately still no luck. What I do notice is that PP is "Generating Peak File..." every time I open a project, could this be the culprit?

• 9. Re: Lynda.com files not opening
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the Conforming of Imported files either Audio, or with Audio is common. This is a two-step process: converting the Audio to 32-bit floating-point for editing and also the generation of PEK files (Waveform Display). It should happen ONLY when you Import the files. If it's doing it every time, then something is wrong.

Now, have you copied over the Lynda.com files from the DVD to your internal HDD? If necessary, have you changed the Attribute from Read Only? Are you Importing from that internal HDD location?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - you will need to allow the Conforming and PEK creation to complete, before you do anything with those files. Just be patient and let it complete - little blue progress bar on the lower-right of the GUI. Grab a cup of coffee, until it's finished.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS