8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 10:08 PM by shadowprod

CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems

shadowprod

I upgrading to CS5 from CS4 and I was really happy with my purchase until I tried to export a project file tthrough the media encoder.  It worked fine but when it finished PPro was unresponsive and finally come around after flashing back to the desktop a few times.  Next I went into Encore and built a menu like I always do and started the burn.  I got about 95% there when it aborted and said I had a hardware error sense code 40901.  I tried this numerous times to no avail.  I had no problem burning on 4.2.1.

I spend two 8 hour days with Adobe support thinking that there is something wrong with either the media encoder or encore in CS5.  There was no resolution.  Funny thing is that I can burn a DVD image through encore (that will burn on my roxio easy dvd software on the same computer) and oddly I can burn to disc immediately there after.  But I can't export and then set up a DVD burn the way I have done forever without getting a hardward issue.  The good news is that I do have a work around, but I shouldn't have to have one.  Any ideas?  Thanks.  Core I7, 12 gigs ram, ati radeon 4850, DVD/blueray burner, HP m9600t

• 1. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You mention Roxio... so read ALL of this

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD
          Read all links/sub-links to create a "best" burned disc
          Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0
          #2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus a Microsoft note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

And another note http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

• 2. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, let's get a bit more info on the PrPro Project. This ARTICLE will give you tips on what will be useful.

Next, a Sense Code Error is most often related to the blank media used. I strongly recommend Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden. Memorex, TDK, recent Ritek and ALL store brands are NOT to be used, as such problems WILL follow. If not now, then later.

The Adobe Encore Forum is full of such Sense Code Errors, and the vast majority of causes are the brand of blank media.

The number 2 cause is bad/old firmware in the burner.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
              shadowprod Level 1

Thanks, John for the info.  Unfortunately my problem isn't the computer or any program not recognizing the burner, but the burner not completing the burn.  The fact that it will complete the burn only after I have created an image file is just weird.  It's frustrating that I can burn with CS4 and virtually every other softward on my computer, but not CS5.  It's a deal breaker for me unfortunately.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, and whether it is in the Adobe media encoder software with seems to get unstable after the transcoding or in Encore itself?

• 4. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
                the_wine_snob Level 9

When a Burn does not complete, the first things that I look towards are Windows Indexing, any sort of Power Management, Screen Savers, active AV programs, HDD's not NTSF, or other programs, like defrag utilities cutting in.

Do any of those fit on your system?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - How about any Roxio, or Nero "watcher/sniffer" modules? Do any of those load at Startup? Check with MSCONFIG to be sure.

• 5. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Also, this ARTICLE might offer some tips on setting up your computer for an editing/authoring session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
                    shadowprod Level 1

Thanks, Bill.  I've been using Sony printible DVD's from Costco (about 300 a YEAR) and I've never had an issue.  Only now with CS5.  I've also was on the phone with HP last night and they said there is no new firmware updates for my burner.  By the way, with Tech support I uninstalled the programs (both Cs4 and Cs5 numerous times and cleaned the computer with CleanScript for Adobe to no avail.  The only thing that makes me think it could be an encoder problem is the fact that when the transcoding is done and I can't exit out of Premiere without hanging up the program and having the sreen flash back and forth to the destop and fianlly closing after a delay.  Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
                      shadowprod Level 1

Also, at one point in the tech session we uninstalled both CS4 and CS5, cleaned the computer reinstalled CS4 and it

worked great - no problem burning.  Then we installed CS5 and it had the above problems and also crippled CS4 from burning as well.  Then we uninstalled CS4 and cleaned the computer and put on only CS5 and it still didn't work..

• 8. Re: CS5 PPro encoder/encore problems
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know the Sony media, but have also never heard horror stories about it. Now, there are several utilities that can tell you who actually manufactured the media, like Roxio, Nero and ImgBurn. That could be a key. Going back, TDK was a trusted mfgr., but then the seemed to have adopted the Memorex business plan - buy the cheapest media and re-brand it.

Maybe take a look at the media, just to see who did manufacture it.

Good luck,

Hunt