7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 5:03 AM by Michel Bozgounov

Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?

tpstom-BbNsOz

Hey there

I have been using Fireworks to design websites for a couple of years now and I have been using ID for several years for print design.

I wondered if anyone had started using InDesign CS5 for design for the web? If so, have you been able to export to HTML ok? Has the design worked just like a Fireworks document?

Thanks in advance

Tom

• 1. Re: Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?
          JoyceEvans Level 3

Why would you want to? Indesign was made for print and Fireworks ws built ONLY for web. Personnally I use the tool that excels for the specific purpose.

But I don't use FW for HTML either, that would be Dreamweaver :-)

• 2. Re: Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?
            tpstom-BbNsOz Level 1

Hi Joyce

The reason I would want to use InDesign is that the team I work with are all primarily print designers. I have happily used FW for the last few years but it does have its limitations.

As a layout tool, ID is far, far, far superior. That's why I would like to be able to use it for web design.

Unfortunately it seems that it will not export XHTML so I think we will continue with FW.

Thanks

Tom

• 3. Re: Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?
              Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Id is for print. Fw is for Web/screen design. Each tool excells in certain areas.

Fw works beautifully for Web/graphic design, IMHO, so I happily use it every day...

• 4. Re: Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?
                tpstom-BbNsOz Level 1

Michel

It's interesting you say that - it is exactly what I think also.

However, InDesign CS5 works in pixels and has the ability to create links, rollovers etc. And has introduced flash animation. It is hard to say that Indesign is for print - I wouldn't be surprised if Adobe dropped FW in the not too distant future and piled all the features into ID.

Tom

• 5. Re: Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?
                  Michel Bozgounov Level 2

Each app has its strong and weak points.

Ai works with pixels now, too (or almost) -- should Adobe drop Fw because of that?

Ps supports print very well, too -- perhapse we don't need Ai? Ai can do print design -- perhapse we don't need Id?

You see, adding too many features and workflows to one app doesn't lead to very good results, IMHO. Yep, Adobe does exactly that, most of the time. Unfortunately.

Still, in my opinion, Ps is for editing photos and for print; Ai is for editing complex vectors and for print; Fw is for web/sreen/ui design and for vectors (but for screen); Id is for print and complex multi-page print layouts.

I hope each app will continue to do better and better what it already does best AND I hope that all Adobe apps will continue to play better and better together. This is preferable to having one super-app that does it all (but you'll need 5 years to master all its functions; Ps is close to this, unfortunately...).

Just my two cents...

• 6. Re: Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?
                    tpstom-BbNsOz Level 1

All good points.

I guess because ID is a far better layout app than FW I was hoping that I could utilise it along with FW.

Sadly it doesn't export XHTML it seems.

Tom

• 7. Re: Has anyone used InDesign CS5 instead of FW?
                      Michel Bozgounov Level 2

XHTML export is important only if you need a clickable prototype. Otherwise, Fw or Id (or Ps or Ai) can do the job perfectly -- all these apps are cool graphic editors, and graphics is what you need in the end! Then comes CSS/HTML code, but most professionals handcode the designs, anyway...

(On a //sidenote, Fw exports PNG/JPG/GIF very well, both as quality and size of files, plus it can slice/optimize quickly a ready visual design... so one more point to use it! And wha's more, Fw plays well with Ai/Ps, so you can use it in combination with those apps. Not sure about Id, though... never used Id, since I have no print experience...)