#test:hover {
      background-color:#CF9;
      }
      </style>

#test is the object id

:hover is the event that must occur before the code is applied

the rest is the code itself

normally dreamweaver prompts you

for example when i press enter to go down to the line with background on it it shows a list of all avalable commands

however this does not happen at the point where i have used :hover

so how am i supposed to know what other commands are alaliable at this point?

could someone point me to a list of commands that can be used at the point where i have used hover so i can experement with them

finally

i wrote the code manually

is there a way to use the hover command (and any other command that could have been used at the point) without using code view

• 1. Re: on event properties
          Zabeth69 Level 5

I've never tried to attach :hover to an id or a class. I think you need to attach it to the tag itself: a li for instance. I've not tried it on a div, either. Classes and IDs are not 'things' the way tag items are things...you can't hover over a class or an id...you hover over the link (a) or the list item (li).

Beth

• 2. Re: on event properties
            iconofsin14 Level 1

I attached :hover to an a-tag using css

i linked it to the atag using the class id

• 3. Re: on event properties
              Zabeth69 Level 5

Right. You may specify which tag to format via the ID or the Class, but you may not format the ID or Class itself, just the tag.

Like this; you have

<style type="text/css">
              #test:hover {
              }
              </style>

you want to have

<style type="text/css">
              #test a:hover {
              }
              </style>

if the a tag is inside an element with the id of test (div#test, for instance). Note the space I left between #test and the a:hover.

The html will look something like this:

<div id="test"><a href="#">This is the text that will be formatted with the background color</a>

</div>

Beth

• 4. Re: on event properties
                iconofsin14 Level 1

are you saying that if i use

#test a:hover

the rule will be applied to all a tags (and only a tags) but only if they are inside elements with the ID test?

this is not really what i was getting at

:hover applies an effect on mousover and removes it on mouse off

other events a person could want to use are on right click, on mouse off only, on mouse on only, when the mouse goes over a different area of the screen ect

how would i go about replacing :hover with these, and how many examples of these can you give me to experement with.

finally could i apply an effect to an element/tag when the mouse hovers over something entirely different. 

• 5. Re: on event properties
                  Zabeth69 Level 5

Yes. that is what I am saying.

Yes, :hover applies a 'link' effect when the mouse cursor goes over it and changes back when it goes off. It is solely a CSS effect, not a 'behavior,' as such, as those are javascript.

You are correct that onclick, onmouseoff, onmouseon, etc., are events...they are used for javascript behaviors, but not for CSS.

To use a javascript behavior, select an object (an image or a piece of text that has been made an object by this code:

<a href="javascript:;">Text to be made an object</a>

The behaviors panel will allow you to add and edit behaviors to that object.

Here is a link that explains behaviors: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/ora_dw_cs4_mm.html One of the chapters treats behaviors.

Yes, you can use a show/hide behavior to create a disjoint rollover: hover your mouse over one object and change a different element. Check out McFarland's chapter about behaviors (reference above).

Beth