4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 1:11 PM by John Waller

Confusion with PHP and CSS file

Deaf Mike Level 1

I'm used to working in DW and with CSS and HTML.  A company designed a site for us and used PHP.  So I've opened the page in question in DW4.  I made some minor changes to it.  Here it is:

http://pscharities.org/matt-boobie.php

What I cannot figure out is, if you look at the page live, at the upper right where the dark blue navigation boxes are HOME WHO WE ARE and so on, I need to change the above page so the dark blue surrounds EVENTS not WHO WE ARE.  I can't seem to figure out how to do this though.

Can someone help me?

Thanks - the Deaf Guy

• 1. Re: Confusion with PHP and CSS file
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The class nameed active in the code on that page needs to be applied to the Events link instead of the Who We Are link:

<ul id="nav">
               <li><a href="index.php" class="home">Home</a></li>
               <li><a href="who-we-are.php" class="whoweare active">Who We Are</a></li>
               <li><a href="who-we-help.php" class="help">Who We Help</a></li>
               <li><a href="events.php" class="events active">Events</a></li>
               <li><a href="contact.php" class="contact">Contact</a></li>
              </ul>

How is this nav bar created? Server side include? or Library Item? or some other means?

• 2. Re: Confusion with PHP and CSS file
            Deaf Mike Level 1

It's a SSI with a file inside called masthead.php.  I opened that file and it looks like they are all active:

<div id="masthead">

<a href="index.php" class="logo">Professionals Supporting Charities</a>

<ul id="nav">

<li><a href="index.php" class="home<?php if($pageID == 1){echo ' active';}?>">Home</a></li>

<li><a href="who-we-are.php" class="whoweare<?php if($pageID == 2){echo ' active';}?>">Who We Are</a></li>

<li><a href="who-we-help.php" class="help<?php if($pageID == 3){echo ' active';}?>">Who We Help</a></li>

<li><a href="events.php" class="events<?php if($pageID == 4){echo ' active';}?>">Events</a></li>

<li><a href="contact.php" class="contact<?php if($pageID == 5){echo ' active';}?>">Contact</a></li>

</ul>

</div><!-- End #masthead -->

<div class="clear"></div>

So I'm not sure where you got the code in your previous post because the only place I see that code is in the SSI/PHP file - unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

• 3. Re: Confusion with PHP and CSS file
              Deaf Mike Level 1

I figured it out.  When I went into the masthead.php file, I noticed the $page ID codes for each nav button.

Then I opened up the events page next to the who we are page. At the very top of each page, in the code view, it had:

$pageID = 4; (for events tab)

and

$pageID = 2; (for who we are tab)

That was the Pandora's box - I simply went into the page that needed the fix, changed the number that matched the ID tab, and it worked.

• 4. Re: Confusion with PHP and CSS file
                John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

So I'm not sure where you got the code in your previous post because the only place I see that code is in the SSI/PHP file - unless I'm looking in the wrong place?

Finished code (after the server has processed the PHP) via View Source in IE.

The next thing I would have asked for was the original PHP file but I'm glad you've got it sorted.

Thanks for the feedback.