16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2010 1:29 AM by Sheri Codiana

introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro

Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Howdy.

My name is Todd Kopriva. For a few years now, I've been the documentation lead for After Effects. Now I'm also the documentation lead for Premiere Pro. Part of this job (the way I see it, anyway) is to pay attention on the user-to-user forums and see what information people are having a hard time finding or understanding, and then do whatever I can to help.

So, here I am.

It's going to take me a little while to get up to speed, and I'm asking for your help.

Please read this post on my "Premiere Pro work area" blog, in which I ask for some specific kinds of submissions, suggestions, and feedback.

• 1. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome... it is really nice to see Adobe folks here

Right now, since CS5 is still very new, I'd say the first thing would be to gather/publish information about what hardware REALLY works -vs- what hardware SORT'A works

Based on my reading here... the hardware that SORT'A works is anything that meets the minimum specification on the product page, while hardware that REALLY works is discussed over in the hardware section

Next would be step by step information on tuning Windows 7

Such as...

http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm

or

http://ppbm5.com/Win7Tuning.html

• 2. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
            tclark513 Level 3

Welcome Todd,

It's nice to see Adobe participating in forums!

• 3. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
              Jim_Simon Level 8

My first thought here was to remove the Help file from all Internet dependency.  Get the file completed and proofread before shipment of the product, and include it as a PDF on the users hard drive that opens from within the app.

The way it used to be.

• 4. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Todd,

A great big welcome, and thank you for both stopping by with the introduction and for your presence.

As others have found out, kiss your wife, your children and any sibilance of a normal life good-by. We will pester you 24-7. Just ask Dennis, Jeremy and a few others.

Again, welcome,

Hunt

• 5. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                  > It's nice to see Adobe  participating in forums!

As you can see from my post count (mostly on the After Effects forum so far), I like to help out.

>  My first thought here was to remove the Help file from all Internet dependency.  Get the file completed and proofread before shipment of the product, and include it as a PDF on the users hard drive that opens from within the app.

The way it used to be.

It never used to be that way. What you got with the application was a lousy, incomplete, error-ridden, already-out-of-date document.

Trust me. I'm criticizing my own work when I say that.

If you have to have a PDF document on a disc, then you need to have it technically complete, proofread, and translated before the disc image is finalized. Given that the applications themselves are in a state of flux until right before the disc is finalized, this is impossible. The part that suffered was technical completeness and correctness. This is true for every software company (and I've worked for many years doing this for some of the big ones and a few small ones).

We have been able to do a much more thorough job by putting the documents on the Web.

I recommend downloading the PDF version of the Help document and then refreshing that about once per month. For After Effects, I've updated, fixed, and added to the Help document about once per month. I intend to do the same for Premiere Pro. The changes are made to both the HTML version and the PDF version on the Web.

Now, this is a totally different conversation than the one that I was hoping to start, which is about the content of the Help document and the materials that are available elsewhere.

If you want to talk (or argue) with someone about the functionality of the Help system, then I recommend going to this forum, which is just for that purpose:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites/communityhelp

• 6. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Todd, this is fantastic news.  I saw a post from you last night, and was puzzling about what you were doing here!

For those of you who don't know Todd's work, he takes "help" to a new level.  I (mostly) lurk in a high level after effects listserve in which Todd is a resource.  You know how you always want there to be somebody who can point you to a "how to" or "isn't that a known issue" etc.?  Todd's always got it at his fingertips, and is there to share it.

I do think there are different challenges for PR, but with CS5 being a better release, it may be the right time.

I'm still at CS3; waiting for a hardware update to install CS4 and/or CS5.  Is the focus on CS5?  I think that is fine; I actively use the CS4 and CS5 help systems to try to understand comments about differences, and improving CS5 only will be a step forward.

In echo to some other comments, there has been a significantly increased adobe presence in the PR fora.  This is very welcome, and helps nip misunderstandings in the bud.  This iincludes matter-of-fact acknowlegement of bugs/problems, and useful info as to status.

Welcome!

• 7. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      there has been a significantly increased adobe presence in the PR fora.  This is very welcome, and helps nip misunderstandings in the bud.  This iincludes matter-of-fact acknowlegement of bugs/problems, and useful info as to status.

Stanley,

I agree completely. We are blessed with several beta-testers and some MOD's, who are noted authors, and this is not meant to diminish their valued contributions in any way. However, having a presence that knows the "under-the-hood" workings, whether it's at a coding level, or elsewhere, is wonderful. Most of us realize that much cannot be said, especially regarding dates, etc., but just having someone to point us all in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

As for Help files, either they have gotten better, or I am growing more accustomed to them. I come from a "book-oriented" background, so there has been some personal resistance. The usefulness of Help files (from Adobe) does seem to have increased over time, and Todd might be at one of the responsible parties.

Now, I do still miss my books, but that's just me.

Hunt

• 8. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                        Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I want to second the comments that were made previously about Todd's amazing talent. The AE documentation has become amazing. It is much easier to understand and many, many pages link to very interesting and useful tutorials and resources. He has taken the icky manual and made it useful. I look forward to the application of his skill in the Premiere world as well.

And as to documentation requests, I would also like to second a previous opinion. This new CUDA fun stuff including the Mercury Playback engine is going to cause a lot of hardware concerns for those of us who are upgrading. For example, we're running machines with NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700 cards in them. NVIDIA's website mentions the Quadro FX 3800 as working with CS5, but what about the 3700?

A listing of major cards with a tick in the columns of what features it supports in Premiere would be great.

• 9. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

OK. A Mercury and CUDA post is now one of my top priorities.

This is kind of a cheat, since I was the one giving the Mercury and CUDA talk at Post|Production World at NAB this year, so I can just turn my presentation notes into a blog post. Coming soon.

• 10. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

If you have to have a PDF document on a disc, then you need to have it technically complete, proofread, and translated before the disc image is finalized.

That's is precisely what is needed and wanted here.  There's nothing to prevent a Premiere update being nothing more than changes to the Help file.  Done this way, we get the superior responsiveness of local storage, and completeness and accuracy.

• 11. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                              dradeke Adobe Employee

BUMP.

As stated in another post, please help out here and contribute if you can.

Thanks!

Dennis

• 12. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                                ChrissaSwenson

Yes, welcome.

Your comment "What you got with the application was a ..." is pretty damning of what "we got" back then, eh?

Kind of like saying to your high school kid "You like this new way I'm cooking?  We fed you rat BM back in the day."

Gotta watch what we admit.  It couldn't have been that bad, and if it was, oh boy.

Glad to see Adobe people here in theory, but we'll see what specific value it provides this niche.

Maybe your contribution here on CUDA and Mercury can be more in-depth than your notes from a promo talk, as far as those sales things go.

Chrissa

• 13. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Todd's "lousy" etc is a reflection of his standards.  It was at least oatmeal back then.  Never rat poison.  And he will deliver.

• 14. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                                    TradeWind Level 3

Hey Todd,

You know, I've been meaning to shoot you a message actually...I did that After Effects help/support runthrough with you sometime last year where you were asking about the help resources. After seeing some of the updates to the help systems it's refreshing to know that you Adobe folks really don't deserve the reputation that some other forum users ascribe to you as being uninterested in user requests.

Not that the help system is the greatest single feature or anything, but whenever you hit a wall it is usually the first place to go. When it works well, it can make a huge difference.

And to 2nd what everyone else is saying, Todd really does keep his head in the game, you'll see his commentary throughout the help documents online.

Sure, sometimes I miss the days of the 40 pound box of paper user manuals, but compared to the online help and the ability for corrections to be made and comments left by users, it makes me feel a little ridiculous for being so nostalgic.

Great work all the way, and glad to have you onboard the PPro train.

----------------

Now, as for your specific request for resources.....there is some overlap with the usual After Effects resources (Creative Cow, for example). Here are some sites that I might add for PPro users:

- Premiere Pro Wiki: http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Adobe_Premiere_Pro_Wiki

- DVXUser: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=21

- Tutorialized.com: http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Premiere/1

Of course, while not a free "community" resource, I always tell other users to pick up a Lynda.com subscription with the exercise files. Most of the courses are between 10 and 40 hours at the most, which is a pretty reasonable amount of time when you consider what kind of expertise you will pick up along the way.

Hope it helps!

• 15. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      Sure, sometimes I miss the days of the 40 pound box of paper user manuals, but compared to the online help and the ability for corrections to be made and comments left by users, it makes me feel a little ridiculous for being so nostalgic.

I do agree strongly about an electronic document's capability to be evergreen. Going back the very early days of commercial software, I loved the old WordPerfect (maybe a decade before Corel), and their ring binder. I'd get addenda to replace pages in the manual about once per quarter. Obviously, that early wordprocessor was not even close to PrPro, and once per quarter was much slower than instant. [I also loved the use of 6-color with one gloss Spot, in those manuals - just beautiful printing.]

I do appreciate the "living" nature of the electronic Help. I can also just print out selections, to stick in my briefcase for when I travel without an Internet connection, or even my "luggable" laptop.

The biggest issues that I have had over the years, has been with the naming conventions and the Search functions. I have found many (yes, with Adobe products) to deviate from their own naming. If one knows exactly what something is called in the Help files, things work pretty well. However, when the Index is basically calling something by another name, and referencing that name, one is lost, except to carefully look down the Contents, and try to guess what the "keywords" are.

Maybe that has improved vastly, but I just went looking for a function in PrElements Help for a user, and found nothing of use. I kept at it and ruled out dozens of possibilities, before finding what I needed - I cannot imagine why all of my Searches could not find it, except that the Search was looking for other keywords. The terms were there, and were what I had been searching for, but all results were for other operations, with some of those keywords appearing in them - just out of context for what I needed. At least with a PDF, one can Search on actual words, and not supplied keywords.

Just some thoughts from a nostalgic old-fool. Besides, I can use them book things to hold down papers on my patio, when the breezes blow...

Hunt

• 16. Re: introducing myself, the new Adobe guy on Premiere Pro
                                        Sheri Codiana Level 1

Giving this a bump - please help Todd out!

Sheri