4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2010 8:09 AM by the_wine_snob

How to specify the end of a video?

Plankytronixx

Hi All,

I'm brand new to Premiere Elements but cannot find the answer to this in help or this forum.

I have a video of duration 4:44:06. There is a marker which I believe to be some form of "end" marker though I can't find a mention of it in the help anywhere (2nd pic below). But when I come to save the video - it says I have a 48min 27.0 sec video (1st pic below).

How do I set the end of the video?

Thanks in advance...

Planky

pre_duration.jpgpre_end_marker.jpg

• 1. Re: How to specify the end of a video?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Planky,

Welcome to the forum.

In general terms, unless you are setting up the Project to be authored to DVD, you basically do NOT specify the end, other than to just not add any more Clips.

It sounds like there is a disparity between where you think the Timeline should end 04;44;06 and what you are getting, 48;27;00. This is usually caused by "Orphans." Those are Clips, or parts of Clips that end up left out on the end of the Timeline.

To check, hit the \ [Backslash key] to zoom out the full Timeline. What you will probably see is your 04;44;06 portion, blank space, and then some Frames/Clips (Orphans) out at 48;27;00. Move the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) out to those Orphans, and see what they are. They could be segments of Clips, where you Razored sections to be used back near the beginning of the Timeline, or they could be individual Frames, that got sheared off. Depending on what you find, you might just lasso them all with the Cursor and Delete them, or maybe there is material there, that you do wish to use, but just forgot.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to specify the end of a video?
            Plankytronixx Level 1

THANK YOU! Bill...

I found the tiniest thinnest sliver of something or other...

Thank you for that. I've been pulling my hair out...

Yours etc,

Planky

• 3. Re: How to specify the end of a video?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

As this comes up fairly often, I just did an ARTICLE in Tips & Tricks on handling a disparity between the intended Duration and what the Timeline reports.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to specify the end of a video?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Planky,

Thank you for asking the question, as it will help others, and spurred me to do the article, linked above, as this is fairly common.

What happened to you was the "case of the sheared Frames." This is an anomaly in PrE (I have never seen it in PrPro), and I reported on it some years back. It has everything to do with the "force" that one applies, when butting up Clips - too much force, and a Frame, or two, are sheared off. As the Clips are tightened up, those Orphans are left, and sometimes way out there. When working on the Timeline, one usually has a zoomed-in view, and they never are even aware of the Orphans.

Good luck,

Hunt