4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2010 6:11 AM by wurre

Temporary solution to 6.1 installation problem

wurre

As described in another thread the update won´t install on my computer, not even when downloading the files directly from Adobe.

This is what I did now, after a tip from someone at another forum: I choose to download the 6.1 files for Elements. This d/l has the 8bi file for both 32 and 64 bits, and a profile setup file.

Just put the 8bi file where the earlier version was located, ran the profile setup and started PS to confirm everything was ok.

It was, the lens profiler work as advertised as far as I can see (for now).

The downside is, as I understand it, that the Elements version doesn´t support as many cameras as the PS version. There may be other quirks, but for now this will have to do.

(The real question is: why on earth doesn´t Adobe make the PS version available in this way??

And why won´t the Patchinstaller work when the files are already downloaded to the computer?)

• 1. Re: Temporary solution to 6.1 installation problem
          dorin_nicolaescu Level 5

Where did you find it?

• 2. Re: Temporary solution to 6.1 installation problem
            Level 4

wurre wrote:

As described in another thread the update won´t install on my computer, not even when downloading the files directly from Adobe.

… I choose to download the 6.1 files for Elements. This d/l has the 8bi file for both 32 and 64 bits, and a profile setup file.

The downside is, as I understand it, that the Elements version doesn´t support as many cameras as the PS version. There may be other quirks, but for now this will have to do.

At least through ACR 5.7, there has only been one ACR plug-in, which is identical for Photoshop and for Elements.  The limitations come when the plug-in is installed in Elements, because the latter is designed to emasculate Camera Raw, but the plug-in is one and the same.

Have you actually tried that plug-in in CS5?

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 4. Re: Temporary solution to 6.1 installation problem
              wurre Level 1

If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt that, I can see no downside to installing the update the way I did.

BTW, it used to work that way in earlier versions of PS - if you downloaded directly instead of using the Update service.

I don´t like having auto update services running for any software, so this is the procedure I´ve always used before.

I can´t understand why Adobe changed this routine for CS5.

Tai Lao wrote:

At least through ACR 5.7, there has only been one ACR plug-in, which is identical for Photoshop and for Elements.  The limitations come when the plug-in is installed in Elements, because the latter is designed to emasculate Camera Raw, but the plug-in is one and the same.

Have you actually tried that plug-in in CS5?

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了