9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2010 6:45 AM by SuperOperater

Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5

SuperOperater Level 1

Hello!

I run into really weird problem today!

I imported my Canon 5D MkII 25p  footage (PAL 1920x1080 progressive; square pixel)  into CS5's HDSLR preset with same attributes...

Everything looked good (I still can't figure out why do I get that yellow line above my footage, cause all the attributes seem to be the same), so I did some editing, some chromakeying and colorcorrection and after I did RENDERING - WHAT HAPPENED IS - MY RESOLUTION kind of SQUASHED horisontaly ---- IT GOT TWO BLACK BARS on the TOP and BOTTOM and picture was distorted... Like I just  took horisontal resolution and took of few dozen lines out of it... All Talents in video suddenly looked fat, with wide heads - I hope you know what I mean...

And to remind you... It was AFTER I RENDERED 5D FOOTAGE in ITS NATIVE PRESET (I did it again, without any Effects - SAME THING!!!)....

Looks like PIXEL SIZE WENT WRONG from SQUARE to 1.333 or SOMETHING. but INFO didn't say so!!!

ANYONE with SIMILAR PROBLEMS????

So, when I import it (while yellow line is upthere), everything is perfect - when I render - resolution distorts (like watching 4:3 movies on 16:9 panels)...

WHY, OH, WHY???

V.

P.S.

I just tried this combination when CS5 came out - but I can almost swear that this thing didn't happen back then!

• 1. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Render? Like in turning yellow line into green or Exporting.

If latter what are you export settings pref. a screenshot.

• 2. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
            SuperOperater Level 1

Hello Ann!

Yeah, it happens after yellow line turns into green one...

Way before I even decided on what my export settings are going to be...

It was after I applied a chromakey and some colorcorection and just went to render sequence, so I can see it in full quality...

And result was green line, horizonally squashed image and (haven't mentioned in first post), quality of video visibly degraded!!!!

Can't figure out what could go wrong...

I also didn't understand your post all the way...

Wat did you mean "pref. a sceenshot"???

Should I upload a screenshot so you can see it or not?

• 3. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No i meant a screenshot of export settings.

But if you can make a screenhot of your project that would be very intereting. Before and after rendering if you please.

• 4. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
                SuperOperater Level 1

OK, here are 3 pics...

Once is during the project - while I am working on it - as you see - the Resolution is just fine - line above footage is yellow - or now already even RED cause I put in some other effects...Capture - scrsht 1 - UNRENDERED.jpg

Capture1-UN-RENDERED.jpg

OK, now, check what happens when I RENDER sequence - what happens with horizontal Resolution:

Capture2-RENDERED.jpgCapture - scrsht 1 - UNRENDERED.jpg

You see how squashed it got!?!?

But at the same time, my "EXTERNAL MONITOR", which is my second 24" LCD shows the following image (without distortion)....

Capture3-EXTERNAL-MONITOR.jpg

Now, which one to believe???

I'll try to export this footage now and let you know about results!

How would you recommend I export it as??? BLUE-RAY H.264 or something else???

• 5. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
                  SuperOperater Level 1

I also went to ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER to export piece of this footage --- it repaired the resolution distortion ---- with stretching picture, I would guess...

I tried to export it as h.264 BLUE RAY - and it's working right now ---- only interesting thing is that it didn't wanna give me an option to make my Final Video - PROGRESSIVE....

Although it red original file as progressive, it put UPPER field as automatically chosen option for encoding (Other option was Lower and Automatic - none of them offered PROGRESSIVE)...

I'll give it a try to some other format... Maybe AVI container...

Which export settings would you suggest I'd try???

THnx!!!!

V.

• 6. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
                    A.Bes Level 1

Hey

I had the same problem, it seems to just be for your video previews.

I went, Sequence>Sequence Settings> Video Previews, and adjusted accordingly. It seems to be defaulted to 24p DV. so change it around to whatever format you want,

like Microsfot Video 1 seems to default to 1080p footage.

I re-render and now it displays properlly.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
                      SuperOperater Level 1

Hey Anne, check this out....

I tried it your way and look what happened:

First I imported 25p 1920x1080  Canon 5D footage into CS5 Preset for HDSLR (changed preview mode as you suggested),,,

Now check my pics....
                      First, check this one one, which is before I did anything.... It is just imported, has yellow line above and looks like that (mind the details of fabric that cap is made of and background):

CAP---NOT-RENDERED---YELLOW-LINE.jpg

I hope you'll be able to see it in good detail to notice the difference on the next pic, which is what I've got just after I went and RENDERED work area - no effects, whatsoever - but if I applied any, the result would be the same, cause PPRO would RENDER my footage and it would ADD green line above it.... AND PLEASE (I hope you can) notice how FABRICS the cap is made of have disappeared (pic got blurred), and BACKGROUND IS TOTALLY DISTORTED....

I can't belive this is happening... I really would appriciate if someone from ADOBE guys and girls took a minute to figure this phenomenon out!!!

Here's the green-line-RENDERED pic:

CAP---RENDERED---GREEN-LINE.jpg

• 8. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
                        Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I don't know, those two pics are pretty close.  I do see the blurring out of the fabric pattern, but at this point, I think you're getting into details of compression quality with MPEG. If you want it to match exactly, you'd need to export uncompressed.

• 9. Re: Resolution change (DISTORT) after render DSLR preset footage in CS5
                          SuperOperater Level 1

Yeap, you're quite right - they arn't visible in these two photos - compression made its dammage to fine details I am talking about...

And I can't export them uncompressed, cause the pic for this forum can't exceed 2MB...

I'll maybe just upload them on some HTML site and give you address you you can see it there - in high quality - so the differences will be visible as well...

But, thnx for taking a look, anyway!

V