8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 1:04 PM by Peter Grainge

Robohelp 8 HTML:  Windows 7 Upgrade

ENW18 Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible that the installation of windows 7 could have corrupted my fairly large project?  I had no issues on Tuesday with my project. I had yesterday off and when I returned to work today I upgraded to Windows 7.  I then received several emails from those who utilize my published projects on a daily basis informing me that my pop-ups are blank and the font type and size differed in various sections.  I went in to take a look at my design page and all seemed okay until I clicked the "view selected item" (i.e. eyeglasses).  I then looked at my published project and indeed my hyperlink/pop-ups are blank (though they are still in my project), text only pop-ups displays half the information, and my font sizes are x-small and small.  The only conclusion I have is that the upgrade to Windows 7 caused this?  How can I resolve this issue?  I have, upon advice from one of our "techies" in our company, went to single source layout and selected Webhelp (Primary Layout) and checked Add Mark of the Web but this did not resolve the problem.

Thank you for your assistance!

• 1. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Windows 7 Upgrade
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

What others are looking at is the published output on a web server so how does upgrading your PC affect that?

You didn't say that since upgrading you had republished but if that is the case,please tell me that before upgrading your operating system your data including your projects was backed up to another drive.

First try opening a copy of that backup.

If that fails, then uninstall RH and reinstall it. Assuming you had the patches applied you have to first uninstall patch 2, then patch 1, then RH itself.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Internet Explorer 7 Upgrade
            ENW18 Level 1

I continued to receive an upgrading message each time I shut down the computer which prevented me from even attempting to back up my project. Also, my apologies, it was an upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 (not Windows 7).

I had previously applied the patches to RH8 a while back and RH has been uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times since because I have had other issues with my project in the past (i.e. will not allow me to import anything - it "freezes" up and ultimately "crashes") - though, I did not uninstall and reinstall my project for this particular issue.

I was training a classroom last week where some of the PC's already had Internet Explorer 7 installed and others did not.  The PC's that had Internet Explorer 7 experienced the same issues with the published project that I am now (as of yesterday) experiencing.  The PC's that did not have Internet Explorer 7 had no issues viewing the published project's content.  Those trainees that are in production are now experiencing issues as well - and the PC's  they're working on have Internet Explorer 7.  So, that is why I'm concluding that there must be some relation between the upgrade and my project.

Thank you in advance for your prompt reply.

• 3. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Internet Explorer 7 Upgrade
              ENW18 Level 1

Also, in addition to your comment of whether or not I had republished my project since the upgrade - yes.  As mentioned in my first post,

I, upon advice from one of our "techies" in our company, went to Single Source layout and selected Webhelp (Primary Layout) and checked Add Mark of the Web which republished the project and did not resolve the issue.

• 4. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Windows 7 Upgrade
                ENW18 Level 1

Also, in addition to your comment of whether or not I had republished my project since the upgrade - yes.  As mentioned in my first post, I, upon advice from one of our "techies" in our company, went to Single Source layout and selected Webhelp (Primary Layout) and checked Add Mark of the Web which republished the project and did not resolve the issue.

• 5. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Windows 7 Upgrade

I'd just like to clarify my understanding here.

The problem is with viewing your webhelp from a server location when the help is viewed using IE7, correct.

You referred to hyperlink/popups being blank. Are you just talking about popups or are any other hyperlinked topics affected?

If it is just popups, see if any of the styles in your CSS have negative margins. If they do, then either remove those negative margins or go to Tools > Options and tick the "Convert RH edited topics to HTML" check box.

@petergrainge

• 6. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Windows 7 Upgrade
                    ENW18 Level 1

Yes...the problem started when upgraded to IE7 - the published project (i.e. Generate Primary Layout) displayed different font sizes and types as well as the pop-ups (i.e. Insert > Hyperlink/Popup not Insert > Text Ony Popup) were affected (i.e. came up blank or the full details did not display in the auto-sizing box). The hyperlinks to other topics within the project are not broken/affected.  The project's "design" page where I can edit looks fine until I click the "eyeglass" option (i.e. View Selected Items) -- the issues appear exactly how the published project currently looks.

Thanks!  I'll try your suggestion and let you know if it worked.

• 7. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Windows 7 Upgrade
                      ENW18 Level 1

There were no negative margins in the styles of my CSS, however I went to Tools > Options and selected the "Convert RH edited topics to HTML" check box.  This seemed to help out with the font sizing/font types.  It did not help out with the hyperlink popups - these are still coming up as blank.

• 8. Re: Robohelp 8 HTML:  Windows 7 Upgrade

Another problem I am dealing with has shown that the case of a style in a topic has to match the case of the style in the CSS when using RH8 unless you use the Convert to HTML option. That is probably what has fixed some of your issues so look at that.

I don't know what is causing your popup problem. Try creating a new project and importing a topic that has popup links and one of the target topics. See if that has the same problem.

@petergrainge