6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2010 12:43 AM by Hudechrome

Minor Gotcha When Moving up to ACR 6.1

Noel Carboni Level 7

I really like the new Enable Lens Profile Corrections feature of ACR 6.1.

However, there's a minor gotcha for those of us who have been using some of the manual corrections in the past:  Once you enable the automatic profile-based Lens Correction facilities, it's enabled for ALL images, and any prior corrections stored per-image add to whatever existing corrections you may have used before on an image.  You might end up with overcorrection, for example, of Chromatic Aberration.

You can see it happen in this scenario:

1.  When running a version of ACR prior to 6.1 you have opened a raw file.  You dialed-in some Chromatic Aberration correction manually.

2.  Upon opening the image, ACR remembers the settings you used, including manual Lens Correction values, so you can start there if you should open the image again.

3.  You upgrade to 6.1.

4.  You check the [ ] Enable Lens Profile Corrections, and Save New Camera Raw Defaults.

5.  You open the same raw file you previously opened in step 1.

6.  Now a correction for Chromatic Aberration (among other things) is applied due to the Automatic Lens Correction, yet you still have the same manual correction you dialed-in before, resulting in a double correction.

If you notice the problem, usually the proper action is to move the sliders for manual corrections back to 0 (assuming the profile is good).

The [ ] Enable Lens Profile Corrections setting is not stored per image, but appears to be global.

I'm not saying this is a bug, but just something to keep in mind when opening images you have opened before.

-Noel

• 1. Re: Minor Gotcha When Moving up to ACR 6.1
          Noel Carboni Level 7

I don't know why one can't edit the initial post.  I see that I misspoke above:

When I wrote "any prior corrections stored per-image add to whatever existing corrections you may have used before on an image" what I meant was that "the profile based lens corrections add to whatever existing corrections you may have used before on an image".  Sorry for any confusion.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Minor Gotcha When Moving up to ACR 6.1
            Curt Y Level 6

Noel Carboni wrote:

I don't know why one can't edit the initial post.

You can, but Jive puts it in an obscure place in upper right corner of screen.  Put there just to confuse I guess.

• 3. Re: Minor Gotcha When Moving up to ACR 6.1
              MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Correct, Noel. One way to work around this is to create a preset in which profile-based corrections are enabled, and in which legacy manual corrections are disabled (check the Lens Profile Corrections, Chromatic Aberration, and Vignetting boxes when creating the preset). Applying the preset then takes care of the steps you mentioned, in 1 step.

Eric

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Minor Gotcha When Moving up to ACR 6.1
                Noel Carboni Level 7

Thanks for the response, Eric.  And thanks, Curt, for letting me know editing of initial posts is possible.  I'll look for that link in the next thread I start.

Doesn't having the profile-based corrections apply globally kind of fly in the face of ACR's general strategy - that of remembering everything on a per-image basis?  It seems that having that checkbox enabled in the Camera Raw Defaults plus leaving it disabled in any image that's already been opened would solve the problem nicely.

I suppose I could just clear out my settings database...  Chances are settings chosen in the past are starting to get stale anyway, given all the new capabilities in the software.  I like not having to correct the CA my favorite lens makes any more by default.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Minor Gotcha When Moving up to ACR 6.1
                  MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Doesn't having the profile-based corrections apply

globally kind of fly in the face of ACR's general strategy

- that of remembering everything on a per-image basis?

Hi Noel, in general ACR should still remember your settings made on a per-image basis, even for profile-based lens corrections. We do have a current glitch in that newly-established Camera Raw customs default settings (i.e., created via the "Save New Camera Raw Defaults" option in the flyout menu) that use the new available features (e.g., profile-based lens corrections, grain, etc.) will incorrectly get applied to previously-edited images. This will get fixed.

Eric

• 6. Re: Minor Gotcha When Moving up to ACR 6.1
                    Hudechrome Level 2

This problem is exacerbated with third party corrections especially if one decides to run with the ACR corrections in the future, or with images from an earlier shoot which has not been corrected in the third party software.

DXO takes  the right step in running it's own ID on their processed images, so one can be aware of which version is being used, but it does preclude adding lens correction from the Save New Camera Raw Defaults. In CS3 the defaults run both file types without problems since I do not use any of DXO's color and luminance adjustments, partly because I don't like them as well as ACR and also because that also would present problem if I used DXO sometimes and ACR others. The default settings would be useless and be a possible contribution to errors in color correction showing up. I fear that now with Lens corrections available, and the corrections are satisfactory, I will have problems, unless I go back to the nef files redo all corrections in ACR and abandon all the DXO versions.

That is a daunting task!

BTW, I figured out why I got the "Searching Lens Correction" flag during stitching. It was because I stitched using Auto with Geometric Distortion Correction checked. That is confusing because in ACR it's called Lens Correction. I assumed Geometric Correction is available as a choice to aid in the manner of stitching but I believe that it is actually applying the Lens Correction factor. Now I started using Auto with the GEO correction right off because it did a better job on images which I otherwise ran as Reposition. In CS3, I used Reposition all the time, and sets that stitched badly, I revert to PTGui.

It is obvious that no matter if the lens correction is available or not, Photomerge will apply some sort of Geo correction anyway. How it determines correctness I haven't a clue. Mostly I am satisfied with the result, but here again, if I use a pre corrected image from ACR, will that complicate things? I did try a set of images from DXO lens corrections and straight nef files and while you can see a difference, to the eye, both are acceptable.

Stitching never matches a result of a single shot from a rectilinear optic which says be very careful in trying to use stitching on architecture. Your client might be perturbed by you!

Lawrence