19 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2010 2:13 PM by Peter Spier RSS

how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

the magical me

hi guys....

each series of Adobe products, I notice that the products get heavy and more heavy than the previous one, so let's talk about the CS2 of Adobe products ( where I first dealt with Photoshop and InDesign) they were good as for the system requirements and the boot time, then the CS3 came out, and I then noticed that the prorammes, and especially InDesign, I noticed that it takes more time to load when I launch the programme, while it's running smoothly when using it , and 1 or 2 years later , the CS4 came out which was really noticeable that its heavier than its predecessor set, and now I am using InDesign CS5 ME on a trial basis, and I really can't describe how heavy it's, it's really tough on my PC to deal with, the loading takes more than what InDesign used to take in its previous versions, but now it's not only the loading time that's longer , but it's also heavy in real-time usage, so I mean that noticed a big difference between it and its previous versions, that when I place a material for example, I really notice a sluggish movement even when drawing some frames for example, or adjusting some photos, though my PC is not that old, and here are the specifications of it:

motherboard : P5KP-C/1600

CPU: 3GHz, 6 MB, 1333 FSB, Core2 Duo (E8400) overclocked to 3.2 GHz.

RAM: 4 GB DDR2 @ 800 FSB (2x2).

GPU: Nvidia 8500GT 1GB DDR2.

HDD: 500GB @ 7200 RPM, 16 MB buffer.

so as you see... it's still powerful, but I would to ask whether InDesign needs more RAM ? of it will even avail the extra amount of RAM that I may though in my PC ?? or all the matter that the programme is coded for SSDs ? and don't tell me that I need a quad-core CPU .

though I have just bought a (boxed ) Core i7 860, but I still need some time to finish the upgrade process, and this is due to the finance crisis I undergo by now.

so do you think InDesign can make use of more than 4 GB of RAM ?

thank you guys.

• 1. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
          Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'd say it isn't InDsig that would need mor power as much as your OS>

I run CS5 just fine on a 2.66 gHz Quad-core with only 2 gb RAM and 512 on the video card, but I run XP which is much less of a resource hog.

• 2. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
            BobLevine CommunityMVP

64 bit O/S? Get that sucker up to at least 8 gigs of RAM.

Bob

• 3. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
              the magical me Community Member

well, I would agree if we were talking about Windows Vista, but we all know that Windows 7 is way better than Vista (though I like Vista too ) and is almost not so far of the simplicity of XP when it comes to system resources, so I don't think that i's the OS, plus, I barely listened to some music with Real player when I was using InDesign CS5, and there is a big affecting factor which makes a big difference between my system and yours, that you have a Quad-Core CPU, though it's slower than my Dual-Core one, but such applications prefer more cores over the higher speed, and I really know that the more advanced system would give the best results, but I was wondering if the time has eventually come that Adobe has decided to divorce the Dual-Core CPU systems ? ? isn't this too early ???

and again.... I know that Adobe systems ADORE RAM very much, so what amount of RAM what just satisfy Adobe InDesign CS5 ? Photoshop CS5 ?

since I don't think that its the CPU any way.

thanks guys.

Message was edited by: the magical me

• 4. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I ran CS4 on a Pentium 4 with two gigs of RAM for quite a while. I do use a sepaarate drive for data, and one for scratch.

• 5. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

well, I tried to install the CS3 version on my uncle PC which is 3.06 GHz Pentium 4, with 2 Gigs of DDR RAM, and it took generations to perform an order, like even to place a material (Ctrl +D), though I realized that I ought to install the CS2 version instead on its PC, so I can't imagine how horrible the situation would be with the CS4 products ???

• 6. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                    pkahrel CommunityMVP

There must be something else going on, both on your and your uncle's computer. I have CS3, 4, and 5 installed on a laptop with a 2.0 GHz processor and 2 Gb RAM, and it works well (but I tend to have only a small handful of apps open at any one time). I also have those apps installed on an i7 2.8 Ghz desktop with 8 Gb RAM, which blows everything out of the water. I find CS5 quicker than CS4, by the way.

So do look again at your system. Is your RAM well enough matched with your processor? I notice you have a 1333 FSB and 800 MHz RAM. I don't know much about these things but I though that these should be matched as closely as possible. Another consideration is your hard disk: is it big enough? And do you keep it defragmented? Because InDesign writes to hard hard disk as if there is no tomorrow, fragmentation is a real factor (and that's why Peter S. uses a scratch disk). When you do defragment, ignore Windows's own defragmenter, which is slow and not particularly clever. Go for one that can rewrite your disk, sorting folders together for quick access. I use JKdefrag (http://www.mydefrag.com/), which is robust, versatile, quick, and free.

Peter

• 7. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Your uncle's basic spec's match my old system quite closely, and I never had a bit of trouble with speed. In it's day this was state-of-the-art, and continues to be adequate for running even CS4 (and Probably CS5 with a 32-bit operating system). What else is running in the background? Are other programs slow as well?

• 8. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

as for the font side bus frequency difference between my CPU and RAM, it' really normal, and nothing to mention, almost all CPUs are higher than RAM when it comes to the FSB  frequency, and this is especially clear when we talk about LGA 775 systems, so don't bother, this is not the problem , but I do confess that my system needs to get some maintenance, but I just adjourned this, because I wanted to reformat the "C" in the next few days, so it just occurred to me to wait till the first SP of Windows 7 comes out, which is a good idea to perform a fresh install of Windows and then install all the programmes I need as well.

and I never use the built-in defragmentation engine.

I use O&O Defrag, Smart Defrag, and TuneUp utilities 2010, besides CCleaner.

thank you.

• 9. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

all the other programmes run well, and there was nothing running in the background except for the Anti-Virus and the essential system drivers and services.

thanks though.

• 10. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

It could be the anti-virus. Not all AV products work equally well with ID. I've been running ESET NOD32 for a few years now and love it. I used to run Norton, but it became a HUGE drag on the system, though fiends tell me the new version is a lot lighter.

• 11. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

well, that AV installed was AVG free, so I think you know how light is it on PCs,but it just occurred to me that it might be the ME features ??

that you all seem to say that the CS5 is lighter and faster than its previous versions, (CS3, CS4) but me, so I think this because you use different versions from what I use ???

how can I make sure about this ??

thanks.

• 12. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

Harbs or Fred would know more about the ME version.

For what it's worth, you get exactly the protection you are paying for with AVG Free. I've made a fair amount of money this year removing some pretty nasty stuff from client systems that were crippled by worms that flew right by it.

• 13. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                                  Joel Cherney CommunityMVP
                                  but it just occurred to me that it might be the ME features ??

I use regularly use CS3 and CS4, and occasionally the ME versions of both apps, on both platforms, on what I would consider underpowered hardware (Core Duo 1.86, 2 gigs RAM, onboard video, 5400 rpm drive). Across the board, I've found Winsoft's ME stuff is slower that the equivalent EN versions. However, I think that depends very much on the kind of work you're doing - the presence of crossrefs/large tables/many images/very short stories or very long stories/conditional text/live dictionary use or spellcheck/etc. in your document radically alters performance.

• 14. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

then its like I guessed ??

but the case I am facing is really frustrating, that I notice the slowdown even when I try to pull a text frame to whatever the direction is ( I hope you understood what I mean) so when I place an article... as general, I should select it by (Ctrl+D) and then place it, and for sure I will need to adjust the frame of the article I already drew according to the article size, and when I pull the down frame side to down (for example) I really see a noticeable slowdown, that I never had with InDesgin even when I was with a P4 , so this is really frustrating, that makes me don't see any point of purchasing the software if it will maintain its sluggish state frankly...

thank God there is a trial period, and I hope Adobe / Winsoft resolve this issue soon, and don't make it long to notice it.

thanks

• 15. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

It may help with som of what you are experiencing if you go to the Interface section of the preferences and set Live Screen Drawing (I have no idea what the translation is in your language) dropdown to Delayed or Never.

• 16. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                                        Joel Cherney CommunityMVP

I should have mentioned that I don't really notice the difference on hardware that's not 5 years old. Also, when I first installed CS4 on Windows, I had to update my video drivers, which improved performance to the point of usability. There are lots of ways of generally improving performance that don't involve "buying a brand new computer" that you may want to try before you wait for Adobe and Winsoft to address performance on low-end hardware.

• 17. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

WaaaaaW you are amazing...

I tried to set it to "never" but this yielded with no difference, then I tried to set it to "delayed" and it yielded with resolving the issue, but there is still a slowdown till the article get spread accordingly with its frame, so I do confess that moving frames and drawing/pulling their sides are now flawless, but spreading the article to its frame requires about a second to respond, that it doesn't interact to the mouse immediatly.

so I really thank appreciate it for you, and thanks for the helpful answer .

but I am curious to know what was that option you mentioned all about which changed the scenario ???

- by the way... feel free to explain in English, since I do like English, and even my computer is set to English as the starting language, including all my programmes, and application, you may laugh if I tell you that I feel like being lost if I work on a computer which is Arabic language, though its may native language, but I just got used to English since it's the language that I learnt computer with.

all the best.

• 18. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?

as for my computer drivers, they are all the latest ones signed by Microsoft as well, including my old 8500GT (1GB) nVidia GPU, (which is overclocked to almost double its original speed and clocks).

as for the upgrade, I am upgrading anyway, that I have lately bought a Core i7 860, but it is still in its box, waiting for the whole upgrade process to get complete, but what annoyed me is that I saw that it's really early for Adobe to code their programmes for CPUs higher than the dualies ONLY. though the minimum system requirement of CS5 is a Pentium 4 / Athlon .

I wish that Adobe release some good helpful updates for their CS5 soon.

• 19. Re: how much RAM, and what CPU do I need for Adobe InDesign ?
                                              Peter Spier CommunityMVP

In older versions of InDesign there were two modes used for screen drawing -- the frame moved but the content "jumped" to the new postion after you released unless you held the mouse down for a scond or two before moving the frame, at which time the contents would draw in real time as the frame moved.

In CS5 this real-time movement is the default, but it doesn't seem to work well unles you have incredible video processing power (and maybe not then - I don't have that kind of power so I can't test). Setting to Delayed returns things to the previous behavior, more or less.