12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2010 6:18 PM by shooternz

Masking/matting plugins for CS5

Colin Brougham Level 6

I'm looking for a plugin that will enable some more advanced masking/matting features from within Premiere--moreso that the rather rudimentary and stiff Garbage Matte effects. Ideally, I'd love something that would give me similar capability to my dear old friend Animatte from Avid, where you have much more control to draw lines and curves and add feathering as necessary. I've got a bunch of keying work to do, and I want to combine a good masking effect with Ultra (which is simply stupid easy and amazing, I must say).

Does Pixelan SpiceMaster have this kind of capability? Or is it really more for transitions and PIPs?

And Adobe: make that Pen tool do something cool like draw realtime mattes on my sequence clips! K thx bye.

• 1. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like you're looking for something like the Rotobrush Tool in AE CS5, but for PrPro.

Harm's up on Keying tools, so will probably have something useful for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
            Colin Brougham Level 6

That would be cool, but it doesn't need to even be as high-tech as that. Basically, I'd like it to serve two purposes:

1. Creative: be able to create soft- and hard-edged straight-line and curved mattes for comping
            2. Utility: garbage matte out unnecessary stuff in frame when chromakeying, i.e. edges of green screen, microphone, etc. This makes the chromakey effect of one's choice more effective.

You know what would be cool? If a garbage matte, even basic, was incorporated into Ultra! Honestly, that would solve about 99% of the things I'd run into with #2 above.

I know Harm's got the low-down on the goods... hope he drops by

• 3. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you tried FreedomFX Animattes? http://www.freedomfx.com/

SpiceMaster is another great tool.

Can you tell us what you have in mind to achieve?

An often overlooked tool is the titler with its rectangular of elliptical or circular drawing tools.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks Harm....

The Animattes you posted aren't exactly what I'm looking for, though those are interesting, and I'll check them out more.

I guess the best way to describe what I'm looking for is an analog of masking as it existing in After Effects, but in Premiere. Think of it as Four/Six/Eight-Point Garbage Matte on steroids. What I want to be able to do is throw a matte/mask effect on a clip, and then be able to add as many control points as I want, with the ability to create Bezier curves and feathering as needed. Basically, I'm looking to modify the alpha channel of a clip for both utility and creative purposes.

Avid has a fantastic effect called Animatte that does this, and more (like video hit fixing, for example). You can also animate these points to follow a moving object, or to compensate for something like a waving arm. I want similar control within Premiere, though I'm starting to believe it doesn't exist at this time. Yes, there are track mattes and so on, with Titles or other graphics, but I'm not keen on multiple layers when they're not necessary. Ideally, I'd drop the effect on a clip and snip away anything I didn't want to affect, similar to the way layer masks work in Photoshop.

SpiceMaster might do the trick; I'll see if there is a CS5 demo available (only saw up to CS4 on the website), but I'll email Michael and see if he can set me up.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense what I'm looking for... thanks again for checking in.

• 5. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like you're looking for the 1000 pt. Garbage Matte.

Told you that Harm would have some ideas. I'm sure that he'll be back with more now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Well, not 1000 points... just a Garbage Matte that's not so, well, garbagey

ADDED: Not a lot of info out there, but here's a video showing how Animatte works. The video is weird, but shows some of the power of the effect. I want for Premiere!

• 7. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                      shooternz Level 6

I still dont get why you wouldnt use AEFX  masks (and new Rotobrush) for this.

BTW - I have long time given up on requesting that the simplistic gabage matte tool in PPRO get improved.  ie. Inverting and soft edge ability.  If you added a bit of bezier control to that it wold be somewhat functional and a great tool.

Meantime its kind of an amateur  toy within a pro application.

• 8. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                        joshtownsend Level 2

Adobe reluctance to put any sort of real masking in Premiere really bugs me.

• 9. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, adjustable Bezier Curves for a mega-Garbage Matt would be nice.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is what i want to.

Please make a feature request: i did.

• 11. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ann,

I have already.

Good luck to all of us,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Masking/matting plugins for CS5
                                shooternz Level 6

What harm can there be me in making yet ANOTHER feature request for enhancing this

function to pro level?

CS2, CS3, CS4...why not keep a tradition alive...CS5 ...then wait for the dissapointment in CS6.

I would be happy if they even could bring it across from AEFX in a similar fashion to the PPRO Titler .  Kind of an associated function within the application.but also kind of separate. Like a plugin. It must be keyframeable though.

BTW: Garbage Matting has more versatility than just "cutting out stuff"  It is useful in C.C and grading effects for parts of images, It is great for vignettes and shading. It is great for inserting parts of an image into parts of an image. It works as a way to apply fx to sections of images etc....

Its a big deal tool.