9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2010 11:05 AM by Tim Kurkoski

CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings

jds580s

I am running CS5 on Win 7 x64

and every time I open Render Queue > Output Module > QuickTime > Codec Settings

I get the little dialogue box "Adjust the settings in the dialog provided by the codec, then close it when finished. [ Bring to front ]"

but the dialog box with the settings is tiny, about 160px tall and the settings go well below the 160px cut off point.

There is no way to click on the options lower in the window.

Previous versions of AE didn't give me this problem on the same computer.

Is anyone else seeing this?  Is there a solution or work-around?

Thanks!

ae_error.gif

• 1. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, this issue has been reported. I was under the impression, though, that it got fixed in time for release. Are you using the latest version of the Avid CoDecs?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
            jds580s Level 1

I tried updating codecs from v2.0 to v2.1, but I am still seeing the small window issue.

I had assumed it was a CS5 issue and hadn't thought about updating the codecs.  Thanks so much for the suggestion

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Does this happen with any codecs other than the Avid codecs?

• 4. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Definitely update the codecs. Here's what one of the engineers just said when I asked what was going on: "Last I heard Avid released an updated codec which fixes this "

• 5. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
                  jds580s Level 1

I just upgraded the codecs to 2.2.1, is this the latest version?  I couldn't find anything newer on the AVID site.

Unfortunately the small window issue is still there.

The AVID codec is the only one with this problem, I opened all the other codec setting windows and they each work just fine.  Most of them fit within the smaller area, but even sorenson which has more info opened and was shown in a correctly sized window.

Thanks for helping me track this down.

• 6. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
                    Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Confirmed that the Avid Codecs LE 2.2.1 package does not fix this.   However we have heard that Avid is working on a version with the fix but it's not available yet.

As a workaround, you can save a Output Module template file (.aom) from After Effects CS4 with the desired settings for Avid DNxHD and import that into After Effects CS5.

Some background on this problem might be helpful.  It's a little convoluted and requires some understanding of the QuickTime  API.  Which I don't have but smarter people have explained it to me and I  think I can pass it along to you.

There is no  64-bit version of QuickTime, so Adobe created an intermediate 32-bit  process that After Effects and Premiere Pro CS5 can talk to.  It's  called Adobe QT32 Server and you can see it running in Task Manager or  Activity Monitor when After Effects or Premiere Pro are active.  When  you press the Codec Settings button in the QuickTime Options dialog in  After Effects, a request is made to QT32 Server to get the dialog for  the codec controls via QuickTime.  (QT32 Server is also responsible for  that little dialog box with the "Bring to front" button, which is there to make sure  that you don't lose the codec settings dialog behind other windows.)

Here's the important part:  Apple's QuickTime API specifies two  different ways by which applications can get the codec controls UI.   Either by calling the entire full QuickTime settings UI (which is what  After Effects CS4 does) or by just asking for the codec-specific  settings in a separate dialog.  After Effects and Premiere Pro CS5 use  the latter method because it simplifies both the UI and the interchange  between the 64-bit application and the QT32 Server process.

The  problem happens when the codec developer doesn't correctly build the  that separate dialog box containing the codec controls.  This is  necessary for that second API method used by After Effects CS5.  It's  not necessary for the full QuickTime settings UI, which handles those controls.  And since most applications use the full QuickTime  settings UI, it's possible the developer programmed the dialog but it wasn't  fully tested.  Or maybe they just thought that no one used that second  API and didn't program it at all.

Problems with the codec settings  dialogs aren't limited to Avid DNxHD.  AJA's codecs, for example,  don't show a dialog box at all when you press the Codec Settings  button in After Effects CS5, which I suspect means they haven't set the  bounds for their dialog box.  We have contacted AJA about this, of  course, and I will admit to not having updated my AJA codecs in a while  so they may have very well fixed the problem.

For what it's worth, all of the built-in QuickTime  codecs from Apple provide the correct UI.  So do some other third party codecs, and so does Avid for some of  their codecs.  For example, the Avid DV100 codec uses a separate dialog  box, even when using the full QuickTime settings UI.  Select the Avid  DV100 codec in After Effects CS4 and you'll see the Options button in  the lower left that opens the same settings dialog that After Effects  CS5 accesses directly.

I hope  that explanation helps some.

• 7. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
                      jds580s Level 1

Thanks so much, for confirming and offering a great explanation.  At least I know it's not just a glitch with my system.

I'll keep an eye out for an update to the AVID QT Codecs down the road

• 8. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
                        richhelvey Level 1

It looks like the issue of the codec settings box getting cut off is solved with 2.3.

However I still can't actually render more than 3 frames without After Effects failing.  ;(

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: CS5 QT Codec Settings window is cutting off settings
                          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

Hi Rich,

Good to know that Avid's update fixed one of the problems for you.

Since the problem you're having with completing the render is different from the other issue on this thread, please start a new thread.  Post the details about the problem there so we can look at it separately.  Thanks.

-=TimK