2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2010 1:15 PM by jds580s

QT Motion Jpeg gamma issue

jds580s

I jumped from using CS3 to CS5 so this may have popped up in CS4 and everyone else figured it out already.

I used to deliver files in QT Motion JPEG codec.  However in CS5 when I output in that format everything looks washed out as though there is a gamma issue when playing back in QuickTime, or other editing software.  If I open that QT file back up in After Effects it looks fine.

I'm not using color management, just an out-of-the-box installation at the moment.

I switched to delivering in QT Animation codec which solved the problem but the filesize was overkill for this particular project.

Any help is appreciated!

• 1. Re: QT Motion Jpeg gamma issue
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open up your project settings and make sure that use Legacy Gamma is turned on. You can get to the project settings quickly by clicking on the 8, 16, 32 bit option at the bottom of the project window.

• 2. Re: QT Motion Jpeg gamma issue
            jds580s Level 1

This did fix the problem asuming I want to bring the footage back into after effects.  When I do that everything matches.

But...

If I open the original source footage up with QuickTime, or in a 3rd party editing application and compare it to the AE render made with "Match Legacy After Effects QuickTime Gamma Adjustments" and also compare to a render made without that setting turned on I get very different results

The original source looks good, but both renders look equally incorrect (washed out like a gamma problem)

Is After Effects adding a pripriatary tag to the output file that only AE is resepecting when it's loaded back in?

Thanks!