16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 1:45 PM by the_wine_snob

No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7

D_Fox

I have tested my video on several different PCs and at least one Mac with no issues. I would prefer that my video be .flv because it is on the Web at www.centricityportal.com. I just found out that my boss and a coworker are able to see the flv video, but no audio. I sent them a .wmv as a test and they were not able to hear that audio either. My coworker found a .wmv file on a Web site and the video/audio played fine. Both are able to go to youtube and play back videos, so I don't understand what is special about my video that they can't hear the audio. I'm new to non-linear editing, so I'm looking at things like the problem being a codec issue. I tried exporting to numerous Windows codecs to no avail. Right now I'm just experimenting with .wmv because it seems like less of a headache to test. To make matters worse, I watched my video on a cheap netbook and it won't play the audio either.

These videos are going to be viewed from numerous operating systems that I won't have control of. Can someone give me some advice as to how I should be exporting my video so that the audio is heard by the marjority of Web folks? Thanks in advance for your help.

• 1. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's just look at the FLV, your desired delivery format, and find out what your Audio Settings are under the Advanced button. It is most likely MPEG-Layer III (MP3), as that is standard. If so, it could be that the other computers do not have the MP3 CODEC installed. If one has iTunes, and/or Apple's QT Player installed, they should have MP3 capabilities.

Now, they will need Adobe Flash Player, but I don't know if installing that also installs the MP3 CODEC, but I would think that it should.

WMV's rely on the various Windows Media Audio CODEC's which use to always install with the OS, but with some flavors of Vista, those were no longer installed, and users had to go to the MS site to download and install the Vista CODEC pack, to get the full functionality.

One test for those offending computers would be for the users to install the great, free player, VLC, as it comes with most common CODEC's. Those are not installed on the system, but are used from within the player program. If the WMV's play Audio there, then it IS a CODEC issue on those computers.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - BTW, another test would be to Export as a DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV (only Export a short section by using the WAB - Work Area Bar, as the file will be large), and test. As all Windows OS's can play WAV files, there will be no need for any additional CODEC's.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

• 2. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
            nealeh Level 5

A quick workaround would be:

• use PRE to export the audio to .wav
            • load that file onto you soundtrack
            • mute audio 1 in the audio mixer
            • share as normal

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
              D_Fox Level 1

I tried several suggestions and I am still not able to get audio to play and I do not want to guess if the end users have the right codecs because I will have no control over them. I am certain that they are able to hear and view youtube videos as I have one of the offending netbooks at my disposal now. It was manufactured within the past year and it seems reasonable that it should work without any special codec downloads. I'm beginning to think I'm skipping something in the process. Can my procedures be looked at below and let me know if you are able to hear and see the video? Please let me know if I'm skipping something vital here. Thanks!

1. Sharing file from PE7 as FLV | F4V. Using Sorenson Spark Codec. There is no other choice for Audio Codec, other than MPEG Layer III (MP3). Outputting stereo with bitrate at 96 kbps. Choosing FLV format. I'm making sure the Export Audio and Export Video are checked.
              2. Using DW CS4, creating standard html page. Insert media and choosing FLV. When prompted, choosing Halo Skin 3. Uploading the automatically created file FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf, the automatically created file Halo_Skin_3.swf, the FLV file and video.html. The four files are uploaded to the server in the same folder. I also noticed that expressInstall.swf and swfobject_modified.js files were created by DW in my scripts folder, so I made sure those were uploaded to the server too.

I tested the video from the location below with two PCs I use for work and have no problems. The netbook and my boss's PC do not hear any audio. Is there anything else I'm supposed to be doing? Thanks!

http://www.centricityportal.com/video/welcome_test/060710/1/video.html

• 4. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are my Flash Export Settings:

Export Audio & Video checked

Video CODEC On2 VP6

Audio CODEC MPEG Layer III (MP3)

Stereo

Bitrate Kbps 128

Multiplexer - no settings available.

I have not encountered any problem with either the Audio, or the Video.

I have had some quality issues with Sorenson Spark Video CODEC

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

My Sager notebook with the Realtek HD audio chip plays your uploaded file perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                    D_Fox Level 1

Hunt, can you give me a URL to where you have your videos posted online so that I can see if these pcs can play them? I just exported per your advice and still no-go on the audio. If the videos you have posted have given you no trouble, but yet I am unable to hear the audio on these pcs I'm working with, then I'm just going to chalk it up as an impossible scenario. Thanks for your quick responses, btw.

• 7. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, I have very few, as most are for clients, and hence are proprietary to them. Now, this is an album with FLV's on Muvipix.com. I have used these as examples for some tutorials. The Abstract Background FLV has full Audio. It's stereo, though the original was in AC3 DD 5.1 SS. Those are open to all viewers, without restrictions.

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                        D_Fox Level 1

Well, as luck would have it the videos from the site you suggested played on both my offending pcs. So, if I followed your directions to the letter for sharing a FLV from PE7 (which I did) then that makes me think there is something the matter with how I'm getting the video online. If this is not the correct forum for this, please let me know. If so, then please tell me how you get your videos online? I outlined in one of my earlier posts the method that I use with Dreamweaver. Are you using something else to post the videos online? Thanks again for all your help.

• 9. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, a step in the right direction, or at least I think so. As for the uploading, I just upload the FLV to my master Album, and then link it to the embedded Flash Player on the Muvipix site. Cannot tell you the specs. of that player, but you could post to the forum there, and Ron, the Webmaster can give you the full details.

As for the next step, I'd head to the Dreamweaver Forum, and post there, as they will possibly see something in that part of the workflow.

Glad that we've isolated things a bit, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                            D_Fox Level 1

I've been able to get some more information as to why my video's audio is not being heard on my boss's or my co

worker's laptops. During troubleshooting, we learned that the laptop's internal speakers do not pick up the audio, but if I plug in external speakers, the audio plays perfectly. There is something with how the internal speakers are interpreting the audio, for some reason. Both laptops are Dell 630 Latitudes. According to our IT department, the video presentation probably needs to be in mono to be heard correctly from the laptop. Because this video will be presented on the road, I can't assume that the boss will lug around external speakers. So, I've tried numerous presets in PE7 to export to mono audio. For some reason, when I do that my PC doesn't hear any audio at all. Do you have any advice as to how I should convert a stereo audio track to mono for a video? Thanks again for your help.

• 11. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                              nealeh Level 5

The 630 has stereo speakers so mono won't be your answer. But if you still want to do so, export the audio and use audacity (or any other sound editing program) to merge the stereo tracks. Then reimport into your project.

A possible answer is a faulty headphone socket but it's unlikely to affect two machines at the same time.

More likely is the audio control panel is set to headphone. Here is a Creative Labs audio control screen. You need to look for something similar on your own system. It's probably on board sound by RealTek so see if you can find anything in your system with that name.

sound.png

[EDIT] - I just found this on a Dell Forum: Latitude D630 No sound out of speaker only  headphones.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Added [EDIT]

• 12. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                                D_Fox Level 1

Well, I've let several days go by and tried many different options to no avail. I'm still having audio issues with my videos being played back on the Dell 630. While I did go to Dell's site to try to troubleshoot, I came away empty handed as to what to do. So, this morning I took my wife's netbook and checked my video and the video's audio does not play back on this netbook either. So I really did some comparisons and below is what I learned. The Samsung Netbook and the Dell 630 will actually play back the audio from my video, as I found when the audio on both systems is up full strength and the audio in the presentation is maxed out. The audio is extremely quiet, but I can actually hear it if I listen real close. So, if I plug in headphones to either the Dell or the Samsung, the audio plays perfectly on each through the headphones. So, since the issue is occuring on two different laptops, I'm coming back to the Premiere forums because this audio issue is occurring now on two different systems, using two different sound cards, etc. etc. Has anybody every experienced anything like this before? From my earlier string you can see that the videos are either FLV or  WMV files. Incidentally, I tried the muvipix link from Mr. Hunt, and I was able to hear the videos from that Web site clearly on both laptops.

One last thing I tried: I created a Camtasia presentation from a PowerPoint and at the end of the presentation I added my video to it. When playing back the Camtasia presentation on both laptops, I hear the parts of the PowerPoint where I did voice over in Camtasia, but once my video starts up - no audio.

Anybody ever had this audio problem before? Thanks again for any and all help.

• 13. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "the videos" you mean videos you've output from Premiere Elements, right? WMVs or FLVs, right? You're not talking about playing videos with Premiere Elements, right? This is a very important distinction.

If you're getting no sound from WMVs, then the issue probably isn't with Premiere Elements. (Especially assuming that you're seeing good, strong audio levels in the pr0gram's audio meters.)

Have you done the obvious? Have you gone to Start/Control Panel (Classic view) and selected Sounds and Audio Devices. On the Volume tab click the Advanced button to open your Volume Control panel. Under Options, select Properties and check every box under Playback Audio so that you can see all of the output settings.

You'd be surprised how often one of these levels (Wave, for instance) is set too low or muted.

• 14. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Have you looked at this ARTICLE on Audio issues? It covers many possible issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                                      D_Fox Level 1

I just thought I would post that I have resolved the audio issue and I appreciate everyone's help to try to diagnose this issue. The final resolution ended up being to export just the audio from PrE7 as a WAV file and open it in Adobe Soundbooth. I've never used this program and I just picked the first logical option and Exported Channels to Mono files. I went back to PrE7, deleted my existing audio track and replaced it with one of the exported wav files from Soundbooth and the issue was suddenly resolved. I've tested the presentation on both the Samsung netbook and the Dell 630 and the presentation plays like a champ. I think there were several comments to convert the audio to mono and replace it and I was not successful in the other ways I had tried that, but Soundbooth was very easy to figure out. Thanks again everybody for helping me think through this!

• 16. Re: No audio: Exporting to either .wmv or .flv with PE7
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news.

Basically, that is about the workflow that I use with all MP3's, though there is not a camera recording of those, so fewer steps, but I convert to PCM/WAV (either 1, or 2-channel, depending on the source), and all is well.

Happy Editing,

Hunt

PS - glad to hear good things about Soundbooth. I did the early beta-testing on it, but as I use Adobe Audition almost exclusively, so it was of less interest to me. It was basically a reduced set of power, but ported for X-platform, as PrPro CS3, and above, were ported for both Mac & PC, and Audition was not X-platform.