3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2010 1:47 PM by UbuntuPenguin

Object equality/pointer comparison

jsd99 Level 3

I am traversing an mx:Repeater.  Each child in the repeater has an "item" property.  At some point, one of the children will fire an event.  When the event is dispatched, I want to do something to all the other children (but not the one that sent it).  I made a custom event subclass called EventWithObject.  I'm attaching the child object to the event when sending it.  In the receiving class, I need to iterate over the repeater's children and find the ones that DON'T match the object.  I need to somehow compare the objects in the repeater to the object that was sent in the event.  So far I have had no luck with this.  == doesn't work. === doesn't work.  obj1.valueOf() == obj2.valueOf() doesn't work.  They actually trigger errors in the framework, which is disturbing.

How do you actually do this?

• 1. Re: Object equality/pointer comparison
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

== or === will work if you are in fact comparing the right things.  The

dispatcher of any event is in event.target so there shouldn't be a need to

also add the child to an event object.  In most cases, a handler will then

just do:

If (event.target == this) return;

• 2. Re: Object equality/pointer comparison
            jsd99 Level 3

Well, the debugger said they were the same thing, but I was getting an error.  I don't know.

I thought of another way to do it: using a singleton object to "share" an event among all the children.  This is working now and it keeps all the logic inside the children, which is probably a better design anyway.

• 3. Re: Object equality/pointer comparison
              UbuntuPenguin Level 4

...singleton...better design , does not compute.

Anyway , you could just store the value object the repeater is iterating over in the event.  Then when you handle the event , you just iterate over the dataProvider given to the repeater.  That way you are just doing a simple object comparison.

<Repeater dataProvider="{voCollection}">

<CustomComponent vo={repeater.curren..forgot the rest}

<CustomComponent>

<Script>

[Bindable] public var vo:ValueObject;

function sendEvent():void

{

var repeatEvent:Event = new RepeatEvent();

repeatEvent.vo = vo;

}

This is where you handle the event.

var voCollection:ArrayCollection;

function handleRepeatEvent( event:RepeatEvent ):void

{

for each  ( var object:Object in voCollection )

{

if( event.vo = object )

{

trace("foo");

}

}

}