11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2011 12:04 PM by the_wine_snob

Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project

lynnbunt

Thanks in advance here.

I've been working on a project for a month. Daily. When i went to open it today PreE8 opens, but when I choose my recent project to open a box comes up to show the progession of it opening, and when it hits 100% complete the entire PreE8 minimizes down to the lower task bar and I cant open it again. Yesterday I could get on, today I can't.

The only thing I can think ot is I uninstalled itunes and then reinstalled a newer version. And recently i installed a newer version of quicktime. I did have windows updates today but that was after i discovered this problem.

I tried a system restore toa date prior tothe itunes and quicktime but it didn't work.

Im meeting with someone on Sunday morning to review my project--and now I can't even open it!!!!

Any thoughts. I'm hating this program. HATING IT!

• 1. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's not hate the program - yet.

Create a System Restore Point for today manually.

Several things to look into. I think that the current QT version is 7.6.6. Some Adobe users have had issues with it, but not nearly as many, as had issues with 7.6.3 and 7.6.4 (those were just bad versions on the PC w/ Adobe products). If you do have 7.6.6, then go to Apple's site and download 7.5.5. That works fine with Adobe products. Do not install it just yet, but go to the next two suggestions. This is just to get ready, in case.

Go to the Web site for your video card, and download and install the very latest updated driver for your video card. Do not trust things like Windows Driver Update. Go to the Web site.

Go to the Web site for your audio card, and download and install the very latest updated driver.

If # 2's & # 3 do not help, then go to that QT 7.5.5, and install it. Note: this might well mess with iTunes. That is why I want you to do this only as a last resort, even knowing that some have issues with 7.6.6. Before you do this, you might want to choose an earlier Restore Point, and select it (Safe Mode works well, when doing System Restores), and test.

A little background. Simple OS updates and hot-fixes can render both the video and audio drivers obsolete instantly. PrE (and most NLE programs) interface with these, at a far deeper level than any other programs will.

Good luck, and let us know how things go,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
            lynnbunt Level 1

OK Hunt,

Here's my status report for you:

i created a restore point.

I went to the NVIDEA website and downloaded the new drivers.

I looked at my device manager and noticed i have Realtek HD audio and clicked on update drivers and it said they're up to date. Then i went to realtek's website and wasn't real sure what to download,one option was a HD codec, but when i installed it it called it an audio driver so i guess it was right. When i opened it after installing it  a box opened and said no driver was supported.???

Now i tried to open my project. It opens, but it's different. It's just a big preview window with the beginning of my movie, and there is not a sceneview, or my clips on a line or anything like that. Just a big picture with the first clip showing of my movie and an arrow below like if i want to start it.

I noticed at the very bottom left there's a tiny red cirle with an X over it. I clicke it and it brought up a box that says: display performance will be poor due to incorrectly operating graphics card or driver. I know i installed the correct display driver because it even mentioned something about fixing adobe products and whatnot.

What have I done?! I have a meeting tomorrow morning to review my project with the coach!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Lynn

• 3. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Lynn,

A CODEC is not an audio driver. A CODEC is used to encode/decode AV material. The driver is a little applet, that allows the OS and programs to interface with the video, or audio cards, or other such devices. Here is REALTEK's DRIVER LIST.

As for nVidia, which card do you have, and what is your OS? I'll find the correct driver for you.

It is likely that you will need to reset your Workspace in PrE.

Also, have you installed the 8.0.1 update for PrE? That fixed a lot of video issues with both nVidia and ATI cards.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                lynnbunt Level 1

i downloaded and intalled the quicktime version 7.5.5

now I'm back to square one whereby my project doesnt even open, it minimizes everthing to the taskbar at the bottom of my pc

• 5. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                  lynnbunt Level 1

my realted HD driver is 6.0.1.5938 and in the device

manager it lists: AERTSr64.exe

RAVBg64

RACV64

Rtupd64

my NVIDIA is GeForce 9100 driver version 8.17.11.9745

Im running windows 7 home edition

first thing i did when i got this pc was update Pre Elem.

• 6. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                    lynnbunt Level 1

It has to have something to do with itunes/quicktime,

because it stopped working after i was prompted to uninstall/reinstall itunes...something about

a system error--itunes couldn't start because QTCF.dll is missing from computer. And then i looked and i couldn't find quicktime. I had quicktime alternative that i had installed a few days prior to work with MPG streamclip. I needed to convert some VOB files with it and i read on this forum to use that. And i had no problems with that at all. It was after i downloaded itunes and quicktime that i noticed it.

thats why i wish i could just do a restore point.

thanks for listening

• 7. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not used AT Alternative, but do have an older version of QT, 7.5.5, which you have tried. It could well be an issue with both QT Alternative, and QT 7.x.x. Do not know how they play together.

I have iTunes on my laptop, but do not update it (as it wants to also update QT Player), until I know that the current version of QT is compatible with my Adobe programs. So far, the jury is still out on 7.6.6, so I will wait until 7.6.x and see how the next version works. There have been too many really bad versions of QT on the PC, regarding Adobe programs. Do not know if this is intended, based on Steve Job's declared war on Adobe, or if it just happens. Apple does good software, but they have never done well when they port their stuff to the PC. Not sure of the reason.

I would investigate the QT Alternative vs QT, and maybe roll the system back to before the installation of iTunes. First, do a manual Restore Point for today! Then, boot to Safe Mode and choose a Restore Point, prior to the installation of iTunes/QT and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                        PlushKat

I also have the identical problem.  I edit once a week and it opened last week but opened and minimized this week.  This computer is used strictly for editing a weekly video from church and nothing else.  I saw your responses to lynnbunt dated June 4 of last year.  I don't even know how to manually create a system restore point for today.  I don't currently have the Elem8 software available to reinstall or uninstall.  Can I just install Elem9 and use the "template" I have been using every week to create the video I need for church?

Thanks again for all your help in the past and I hope you can help me again.  If not, I won't be able to get the video out this week and that will make 150 people wait for it until I can figure out what to do.

Nancy

• 9. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Nancy,

The Windows Help files will step you through doing a System Restore Point for your version of the OS. It is very slightly different, depending on the version, so do follow the instructions carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                            PlushKat Level 1

I was able to find out how to do it.  Unfortunately, now I have another problem.  It says it can't do a system restore because I have an anti-virus program running.  Being fairly new to Windows 7 I can't for the life of me figure out how to disable it.

N

• 11. Re: Prem Elem8 minimizes when i open a recent project
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, that anti-virus progarm is probably causing all sorts of issues.

Good luck,

Hunt