17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2010 12:49 PM by D&R Films

Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage

Lo9iKK

I have combed the internet looking for which preset to use with the GH1 in CS5.  Does anyone know?

I know the documentation for CS5 says that GH1 support is available using the AVCHD presets.  Nothing specifically says what to use though.  The manual for the GH1 says that the footage is 1080i with "sensor output" of 24fps...what does that mean?  Does that mean I should use 1080 24p?

My main problem is that my exported footage bounces which seems very similar to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2828936; however, I do not know which preset to use.

So, does anyone use a GH1 with FHD footage and which preset or settings do you use?

• 1. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
          Lo9iKK Level 1

After doing a lot more reading, I have come to the conclusion that the GH1's sensor captures FHD video at 24P but saves it as 60i (which seems very strange to me).

I create a new sequence using AVCHD 1080i 29P and my video quit bouncing.

• 2. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Most cameras record 24P in a 29.97 wrapper with pulldown. They are not real 24P cameras.

• 3. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
              Powered by Design Level 4

I dont have CS5 yet but there is a new feature that you drag your footage to some icon and it creates the correct sequence for you with the correct settings.

maybe some else could say where and what the button looks like.

Glenn

• 4. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> there is a new feature that you drag your footage to some icon and it creates the correct sequence for you with the correct settings.

maybe some else could say where and what the button looks like.

It's the New Item .button at the bottom of the Project panel. Dragging a clip to this button creates a sequence that matches the settings of the clip. For those of you who are used to After Effects, it functions just like dragging a footage item to the Create A New Composition button.

• 5. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                  intrinsicq

Hey Todd,

I tried dragging a video clip to the New Item but my cursor would not allow me to drop it. I'm also suffering from shaky videos. Could you provide a detail explanation on this process please? I'm new to Adobe Premiere Pro.

In addition, I believe in order to have access to the project panel you are forced to create a sequence, in which I believe my sequence definitely does not match my video - I'd prefer a drag-droping my videos!

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                    tclark513 Level 3
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

intrinsicq wrote:

Hey Todd,

I tried dragging a video clip to the New Item but my cursor would not allow me to drop it. I'm also suffering from shaky videos. Could you provide a detail explanation on this process please? I'm new to Adobe Premiere Pro.

In addition, I believe in order to have access to the project panel you are forced to create a sequence, in which I believe my sequence definitely does not match my video - I'd prefer a drag-droping my videos!

Thanks!

It only works in CS5.

• 7. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                      jeremy d. Level 3

You dio not need to have a sequence open to use the Project Panel.

What kind of footage are you trying to use to make your sequence? That should be working.

intrinsicq wrote:

Hey Todd,

Thanks!

• 8. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                        jeremy d. Level 3

I just assumed CS5.

Is it indeed CS5?

• 9. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                          D&R Films Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Most cameras record 24P in a 29.97 wrapper with pulldown. They are not real 24P cameras.

While most might not be, this one is.

You should choose the 1920X1080 24p AVCHD preset in CS5. CS5 applies the pulldown automatically when you render it out.. It will look jumpy on playback, but when you render it'll be fine.

Oh, BTW.. this not "true" 24p camera has been hacked to record in 24p native at higher bitrates and comparisons have it beating the 5D MKII, and easily besting the Canon 7D/T2i in image quality for video.

• 10. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                            intrinsicq Level 1

Oh when I launch CS5, a pop-up window encourages me to either create a new project or open an existing one. If you chose new project doesn't it direct you to the Sequence properties page?

Yeah, I have CS5 but I just tried dragging a random video clip from a folder and dropping it onto the NEW ITEM icon in the project panel, doesn't work for me. Was that how I was meant to drag and drop?

Sorry for the trouble! Baby CS5 user.

• 11. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                              jeremy d. Level 3

Yes, if you create a new project, the second dialog you'll see is the New Sequence dialog.

You said, "...dragging a random video clip from a folder..." You're referring to a bin folder in Premiere, right? Not from the desktop?

edit: If you click on that clip in the Project Panel, what info do you see at the top of the panel?

• 12. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                                intrinsicq Level 1

Apologies I'm referring from straight from a folder off the desktop into the project panel. It'd only allow me to drop it as a clip within the project panel but not onto the NEW ITEM button.

Well you mentioned bin folder, are you referring to FILE > IMPORT > Video Clip ? Because that also won't allow me to drag and drop rather simply opening it brings the clip into the project panel similar what I mentioned above.

Yeah, when I click the video clip within the project panel it shows me sequence details directly above.

File Path: C:\Users\test.mp4

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 8.9 MB

Image Size: 640 x 360

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 29.97

Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00;01;43;21

Average Data Rate: 87 KB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

What sequence do I fit this too? I'm curently using the Widescreen 48kHz (DV - NTSC) preset sequence [trial and error] with a video export format of H.264 HDTV 720p 29.97 HQ and by trial and error this export format doesn't give me a shaky video, most of the rest do besides one other which I can't remember. However, I'm not satisfied because my exported video appears slightly blurred after export.

EDIT: Well I've improved the shaking and blur problem by using a more appropriate sequence settings. If the drag and drop doesn't work it doesn't concern yet!

• 13. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                                  jeremy d. Level 3

Bear with me here:

What should be happening is, you go to File>Import and import your clip so it appears in the Project Panel. Then you drag the clip from the project panel to the New Item icon.

• 14. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                                    D&R Films Level 1

Wouldn't that create a 1080i sequence when you'd want a 1080p 24 sequence with CS5 doing the pulldown?

• 15. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                                      jeremy d. Level 3

That should create a sequence which matches the clip, and you want the clip and sequence to match while you're editing.

edit: besides, the question I was answering was about how to make a sequence that matches a clip.

• 16. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                                        jeremy d. Level 3

I think though, with this file:

File Path: C:\Users\test.mp4

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 8.9 MB

Image Size: 640 x 360

Pixel Depth: 32

Frame Rate: 29.97

you're going to get a 640x360 sequence.

• 17. Re: Panasonic GH1 - presets - jumpy footage
                                          D&R Films Level 1

I want 24p though and the GH1 records 24p over 60i so putting it on a 24p timeline seems to work best when rendered it's true 24 frames progressive. 60i would render as 60i wouldn't it? I know it didn't work right in CS4 but CS5 seems to do the pulldown correctly in a 24p project.