33 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 5:11 PM by keithf31560498

dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically

KMK_media_group Level 1

Lately, when working in dreamweaver, when I attempt to click in the live window or click in the menu area, Dreamweaver freezes for up to 30 seconds.

It is doing this quite often and is VERY frustrating and time consuming.

Its not for  a lack of power or memory on my pc.

Intel i5 750 with 8 GBs RAM

windows 7 64 bit

It DOES seem to only do this on this current project I am working on which uses java and jquery.

I never get any error messages, just sporadic freezing.

Either way, it shouldn't be doing this.

I think others have posted this same issue at this link - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/429342

Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue? It really needs to be solved.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

Lately, when working in dreamweaver, when I attempt to click in the live window or click in the menu area, Dreamweaver freezes for up to 30 seconds.

windows 7 64 bit

It DOES seem to only do this on this current project I am working on which uses java and jquery.

What version of DW are you using?

Please provide a link to a page that shows this problem.

Reagrds,

Randy

• 2. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
            KMK_media_group Level 1

It does it on both cs4 and cs5.

So, you want me to take a screenshot of when dreamweaver freezes? It just would just be a snapshot of dreamweaver.....you wouldn't be able to tell anything from that. Like I said, you don't get any error messages or anything. It just temparily hangs. Did I misunderstand what you need?

• 3. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not a screenshot. As you say, doesn't help.

Since you mentioned DW is freezing only on one particular project, I think Randy is asking for you to upload the problematic project and provide a link to it in case we can spot anything obvious in the code causing the freeze.

• 4. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically

Not a screenshot. As you say, doesn't help.

Since you mentioned DW is freezing only on one particular project, I think Randy is asking for you to upload the problematic project and provide a link to it in case we can spot anything obvious in the code causing the freeze.

Correct. We need to look at the source code of the page.

My first suspicion is that a significant number of files are being downloaded. If that's the case, then you'll also notice a similar delay when loading the page in a browser. Is that what's happening?

It could also be how DW is handling a particular type of download file or piece of markup.

HTH,

Randy

• 5. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                  lindiefree Level 1

I am having the same issue.  Whenever I click between the design and code parts in split view, or when i hit "live view", Dreamweaver hangs... It says "not responding" in parenthesis in the title bar (which appears when this happens).  Extremely frustrating as it takes a very long time to get anything done.  This just started happening in the last week or so.  Re-creating preferences doesn't solve the problem.

I am running Dreamweaver CS5 with all recent updates (last updated today, still having the same problem)

I am not using any JavaScript or anything like that to cause it to run slowly or hang it up... just a straight HTML document.

My system is adequate:

• HP xw6600 Workstation
                  • Windows Vista, SP2, 32-bit, all updates are current
                  • Intel Xeon (Quad-core) 2.33 GHz
                  • 4 Gigs RAM

Please tell me what I can do to fix this!  Thanks!

• 6. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                    LPvR

Hi,

I'm encountering the same problem with CS5

I work with Windows 7

64 bit

16 gb RAM

No specific files, no special scripting in it.

Merely plain HTML files.

CS 5 freezes quite often for at least 30 seconds.

Any help welcome! Thanks.

Leonard

Rotterdam/The Netherlands

• 7. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                      xparrot_dude Level 1

Are you guys on a wireless network?

I have the same issue. Stalls when trying to do a "Save As.." for example. Just won't let me click on the dropdown to do that.

Also have a ton of "Dreamweaver is currently interacting with a server. Since copying a file to a server requires interaction with a server as well, Dreamweaver cannot currently perform this task. Please try again when the current server task is complete." messages.

Found this site that says this is caused by being on a wireless network. Can't test it since my router is in another part of the house and I have no phone jack here to move it.

http://computersettings.net/2010/09/12/internet/fix-error-waiting-for-a-server-timeout-dre amweaver-cs5-cs4-cs3.html

-Kirk

• 8. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                        Ed@SF Level 1

Same here - it's unworkable...Win 7 Pro x64. CS5. You're not alone....and PC isn't "underpowered" by a long shot....

It's just a simple HTML site (nothing fancy - actually why I thought DW would just fit the bill - instead of VS pro). Just changing a few things (it could be a template, or a template page, I'd say "random" is more apt). It doesn't matter if you work in source or design mode. It just constantly hangs - as if its trying to "verify something"....it gets back to normal after 10 - 15 or so seconds, but that's just not the way to work.....

Sorry I don't have the patience, wondered why I even wasted this much time....just reporting it here so that

1. verifying that it's not a "fluke" that affects "just you", and therefore;
                        2. hopefully an Adobe QA engineer can try to reproduce and come up with a solution....

Ed

• 9. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                          Ed@SF Level 1

KMK_media_group wrote:

It is doing this quite often and is VERY frustrating and time consuming.

windows 7 64 bit

Either way, it shouldn't be doing this.

I think others have posted this same issue at this link - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/429342

Has anyone come up with a solution for this issue? It really needs to be solved.

Thank you.

Old post but seems unresolved, and I just hit this issue on my first ever DW CS5 use (I use some other tool for development but since this was pure HTML site, I thought DW would make things simpler).

Anyway, here's how I "fixed' this issue - check on your CSS or JS or Font references. If they are from some remote site (i.e. Jquery on either Google or Microsoft CDNs, Google fonts, etc), I simply just removed them and put them back prior to launch.

I don't know why I even had the patience to try and figure this out (it was infuriating)...after some Googling and consolidation of my observations and other posts on the web on this issue, I came to this conclusion.  I can't say its a fix for every situation out there where DW hangs, but this workaround worked for me - no more hanging whatsoever....

Dear Adobe: it's a bug......

My personal observaton: it seemed any change triggers some validation/verification action by DW causing it to freeze for 10-15 seconds...yes, that for almost anything you did - it makes DW simply unworkable. It would work fine after that "hang" - until some change would force it to do this over again. Judging by my unscientific QA an resolution...it seems remote resources are "refreshed" causing the delay.....

• 10. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically

it seemed any change triggers some validation/verification action by DW causing it to freeze for 10-15 seconds...

I suspect that it's compiling the JS from your page for dynamic Code Hints. Try turning off Code Hint "Object Methods and Variables"  in the Preferences > Code Hints.

Regards,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

• 11. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                              wkirklutz Level 1

Turned it off and it still freezes. This has been happening since CS4. Very irritating. I work in DW everyday. Dramatically slows things down. I think it has something to do with connecting to the remote server. Often I cannot upload or download because the server is busy. Restarting DW cures it briefly. I really do think this is bug, and not a setting.

• 12. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically

I really do think this is bug, and not a setting.

Yes, it's a bug. I was just suggesting that as a work around. Try turning off all Code Hints.

It could also be DW looking for Dynamic Related Files. Try turning off Related Files to help isolate the problem.

Randy

• 13. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                  wkirklutz Level 1

I don't see Dynamic Related Files in there. Has this bug been fixed in 5.5?

• 14. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                    Ed@SF Level 1

Randy Edmunds wrote:

I really do think this is bug, and not a setting.

Yes, it's a bug. I was just suggesting that as a work around. Try turning off all Code Hints.

It could also be DW looking for Dynamic Related Files. Try turning off Related Files to help isolate the problem.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Thanks so much for taking the time!

Just fyi - the external resource in the site I was working on was Google Fonts....

(and yes, I couldn't see "Related Files" either - I'm on CS 5) but either way, I can work without the extrenal resources while in development now that I know its causing this bug to rear its head....

Thanks again!

Ed

• 15. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically

I don't see Dynamic Related Files in there. Has this bug been fixed in 5.5?

Go to:

Preferences > General

Either turn off "Enable Related Files" or set "Discover Dynamically-Related Files" to Disabled.

HTH,
                                      Randy

• 16. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                        rebeccaindy

I disabled related files, but am still having this problem. My time is am only 50% utilized, maybe less... click, wait

8 seconds, make a couple edits, switch to website, refresh, back to DW, click in place I wish to make next edit, wait 8 seconds, .... repeat.

File can be CSS, html, JS, anything, doesn't matter. Have a normal home based internet connection, nothing out of the ordinary on my compt.

Very very frustrating!

My soul is being sucked out of me!

Please help!

Where's HomeSite?!

• 17. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                          rebeccaindy Level 1

Each 8 second hang I sit an watch the little blue circle, clench my muscles, take a deep breath, and try SO HARD not to go check email or the news. Ugh!

• 18. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                            Ed@SF Level 1

rebeccaindy wrote:

I disabled related files, but am still having this problem. My time is am only 50% utilized, maybe less... click, wait

8 seconds, make a couple edits, switch to website, refresh, back to DW, click in place I wish to make next edit, wait 8 seconds, .... repeat.

File can be CSS, html, JS, anything, doesn't matter. Have a normal home based internet connection, nothing out of the ordinary on my compt.

Very very frustrating!

My soul is being sucked out of me!

Please help!

Where's HomeSite?!

Unsure if your issue is related, so if settings don't work, it maybe time for you to modify code (I didn't modify settings either in my case):

1. Look for items that you are referencing externally
                                              • perhaps jquery from any CDN (Google or Microsoft)
                                              • css files maybe (jquery UI)?
                                              • fonts (any of the font services)?

2. You can perhaps work on local copies if necessary (instead of referencing them from external sources), and only 'switch' them back to their CDN counterparts when you're done...in the case of jquery/fonts/css that you have to reference from external sources, as long as your versions match, it shouldn't matter (local vs. cdn)..

Hope this helps....

Ed

• 19. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                              wkirklutz Level 1

The issue I have is two-fold.

1) Sometimes you can't upload files because DW is "busy" with the remote server. If I could somehow tell DW that I don't give a royal sh1t what it is doing with the server, I would. Don't think there's a setting for that.

2) Sometimes I go to do something as simple as a "save as" from the program's dropdown menu. I click and click and click. Nothing. Eventually it unfreezes and I can do a save as.

Both of these greatly hinder workflow. Often I will just restart DW so that I can actually work. This has been an issue since CS4. It's now part of my workflow that I have to waste valuable minutes (everybody wants everything yesterday) with this BS.

Adobe, I love your products but I hate your bugs. Fix this please. Anybody know if 5.5 solves any of this stuff?

-Kirk

• 20. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                petron2002

Having the exactly same issue! Adobe please for the love of developers please fix this!!!

Dreamweaver CS5

• 21. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                  lobringer

I've been having the same problem with any site I work on. It's been happening for several months now. I'm not sure what's changed but it's really driving me crazy. My problem is mainly with the menus freezing up. Almost everytime I try to insert an image or save as or format text using a menu it will hang up. I usually click to a different program and come back and it will unfreeze.

I also get the "dreamweaver is communicating with the server..." message so I can't upload or download files but that seems to fluctuate with the speed of my Internet connection (usually because of backups going on in the background or others on the network sucking down my bandwidth).

I'm on a Mac Pro with a CS5. I didn't notice this in CS3. (skipped 4)

Please fix this bug!

• 22. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                    ryan.nylander Level 1

I had the same problem too, but I was able to solve it...  My issue, first occured when I was trying to use live view whilst my web server was in the process of starting up.  This seemed to have caused my issue.  Once any external CDN content was removed from the webpage i was creating, it worked fine.  But I needed to have the CDN content in my page.  This issue frustrated me for a while, but then I noticed the address bar (within dreamweaver) was pointing to my wamp web folder in C:/ drive (which was where the files were located).

THE FIX: Next to the address bar in Dreamwever there should be a little drop down menu (that says List View Options when moused over), click on that and press on 'Use Testing Server for Document Source' instead of 'Use Local Files for Document Links'.  (If the address bar doesn't change, input your local server).  I havn't had this problem since

I hope this helps other people, or at least provide a temporary fix for them!

1 person found this helpful
                                                    • 23. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                      McFrisco Level 1

I was having this problem too.   Just got the solution from tech support, (for me, anyway).  Update your video driver AND make sure you are running the latest version of Flash Player.  CS5.5 apparently depends a lot more heavily on the video cache and the player to do previews.  This fixed it for me.  He also suggested that I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.  But from looking at some of the other posts here, that's not necessarily the fix.  Let me know how this goes for those of you who try  it....

• 24. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                        kcroy2011 Level 1

I wanted to throw my answer on the pile. This has happened to me occassionally for several years - although I no longer use CS4 on my main machine, I have it installed on several laptops. I would bring this problem up occassionaly on the forum and never found a solution.

I'd often suspected it had something to do with caching or trying to connect to a live server... since it was definitely tied to preview pane. Going to just viewing CODE would stop the laggging/locking up.

I ran into it with a new project this past week, and found that if I removed this code from the pages, everything works fine:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >

Here is an example, I'd be curious to see if anyone else find the same problems with their version of dw.

http://ukrainianchurch.org/index.html

http://ukrainianchurch.org/index.broken.html

• 25. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                          Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Removing the doctype declaration all together is not a good idea since the page will no longer be considered valid code by browsers and will likely cause problems on some  (I'm looking at you IE).

Why not replace it with the html5 doctype instead?

See if a page based off of the following works better for you...

<!doctype html>

<html>

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<style>

</style>

<!--[if lt IE 9]>

<script src="http://html5shiv.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/html5.js"></script>

<![endif]-->

</head>

<body>

</body>

</html>

• 26. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                            3r3bos

-- SOLVED --

Tried to disable everything like code suggestions, validation etc, but that didn't work then I decided to 'move' the site from the shared drive to my local C-drive and everything went back to normal again! No glitches or freezes.

Now you may not be using a shared drive, but perhaps creating a new local folder on the same or another drive and moving the site over, may just do it you as well!

Cheers,

JP

• 27. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                              kcroy2011 Level 1

thanks I will try that out and see if it still causes issues. Do you have access to a cs4 build? I'd be curious if my document causes problems for you.

• 28. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                                sashikanta4nayak

Dreamweaver getting worsen after the takeover from Macromedia, still its freezing always. I have tried with CC, CS, CS 5.5 all are having same problem with HTML4, HTML5 doc etc.

I have Core i3, 8GB Ram, SSD still its freezing.

I disabled everything(for e.g. Code hints, dynamic files etc) that we had Paid for and having same issues.

Its a shamed on adobe developers, fully waste of money. Please move to Notepad ++ or NetBeans.

Free Ids like Brackets, Notepad ++ etc are much better than DW.

• 29. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                                  InspirationStudio Level 1

I have a mac book pro with El Captain, everytime I hit preview to view site it freezes, I can click on firefox and then back to dreamweaver and it will show the save button, but if I hit preview and wait for the save button it takes 30 seconds to a minute.

• 30. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                                    LoisReed Level 1

I can't believe this has been happening since 2011 and still no resolution. I have called adobe tech 3 times on this issue and have done a screen share with them. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled. Seems the only files I can open without a freeze are HTML - not very helpful in these days of CMS. Even a simple style sheet takes over 30 seconds. I am tempted to cut my CC account and return to my adobe suite 6

• 31. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                                      LoisReed Level 1

btw - it is now April 2016! and still no fix.

• 32. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                                        Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Louis,

This thread is SIX years old.

Start a new discussion and give us some details about your OS, your version of DW, steps taken, etc...  Non- response can be caused by a lot of different things. 

Nancy O.

• 33. Re: dreamweaver freezes for a while, periodically
                                                                          keithf31560498 Level 1

I was plagued with this problem. 
                                                                          In addition, CS 2017 products kept crashing when opening.  
                                                                          The fix for that was to delete some old adaware module in windows\system32 then repair adaware.
                                                                          Once the new products launched, dreamweaver would regularly pause for up to 30 seconds everytime I saved a file.

I went into adaware and excluded the path to my local site folder from scanning.

The risk is, if you pull down a virus infected file form a site you're working on, it wont get detected, but I don't really need ad-aware scanning my HTML files everytime I save them.

This seems to have resolved the problem for me.

[I realize this thread is very old, but I'm sure many people searching keep finding this same old thread, so thought I'd put in a solution that worked for me even though it's been a while]