11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 6:44 AM by Kaushik A

EPS to PDF Issue

Maria prabhudoss Level 1

We have provided the illustrator eps file which has embedded grayscale raster image. When we convert to PDF, which shows four color separation. Please download the eps file using below link and check it . Kindly let me know your thoughts on this.

http://www.4shared.com/file/vIP56AjQ/S0022109010000141_fig4_ht.html

Thanks..

• 1. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
          JETalmage Level 6

How, exactly, are you converting to PDF? (Describe exactly and fully what you are doing--including every step.)

When opened in Illustrator, the file shows only K content in the Print>Separations dialog. If then saved as PDF from Illustrator, the resulting PDF contains only K content.

If your PDF contains content on C, M, or Y separations, then you need to describe fully what you are doing, with what software, and with what settings in order to create your PDF.

JET

• 2. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
            Maria prabhudoss Level 1

Thanks for your response. I have converted eps file to pdf using "Adobe Distiller Professional Version 8.0.0" . I have attached the screen shots of distiller (Setting1.jpg, Setting2.jpg) for your review. Kindly let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks for looking into this.Setting1.jpgSetting2.jpg

• 3. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
              Jeremy AB Level 1

Why go through Distiller? Save directly as a PDF from Illustrator.

• 4. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jeremy AB wrote:

Why go through Distiller? Save directly as a PDF from Illustrator.

I agree. And why an eps?

• 5. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                  Maria prabhudoss Level 1

Could you please advise me why this regression occured converting through Adobe distiller?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                    Kaushik A Level 1

Hi Maria,

I won't call this a regression or a failure and definitely not on Distiller's part.

Your EPS has a CMYK image. Yes when I open the EPS in Illustrator, the embedded image is a grayscale image; but the PostScript part contains a DeviceCMYK image. Such EPS file might have been created from older versions of Illustrator.

But if I resave the file as EPS (I have CS3 and CS5 and checked from both), the PostScript will contain an image with Separation Color Space and colorant Black which is practically equivalent to a grayscale image. Now your distilled PDF will contain only Black content and no C, M, Y contents.

• 7. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                      JETalmage Level 6

Likewise, if you simply open the file in Illustrator and save as PDF, Acrobat's Preflight shows content only on the black plate.

JET

• 8. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                        Maria prabhudoss Level 1

Thanks for your response. The creator of supplied eps file is CS3.

Could you please advise me how to find out the PostScript part contains a DeviceCMYK image or not via illustrator (or) someother way.

Thanks for looking into this.

• 9. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                          Kaushik A Level 1

Ways to find out color space of the image in EPS (PostScript part):

1. Distilling the EPS - the way you actually came across the issue. Then as Jet has rightly mentioned use Acrobat's Output Preview to find out whether it's a 4 color image or Preflight (using any profile) and verify the color space of the image from the Results.

2. Using Illustrator itself - place and embed the EPS files in a new document. In the Document Info panel, check out the details of the embedded images. Note when placing & embedding EPS files, the PostScript part is read by Illustrator.

• 10. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                            Maria prabhudoss Level 1

We are not clear about the PostScript part. Could you please explain little brief?

Thanks for looking into this.

• 11. Re: EPS to PDF Issue
                              Kaushik A Level 1

All EPS files saved from Illustrator has two parts:

i. Illustrator private data - which Illustrator reads when opening such EPS files;

ii. PostScript data - which is read by all other applications like Distiller or even by Illustrator when the EPS is placed in a document.

Hope this is clear now!