7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 4:56 AM by zibizibi

Removing part of a letter

zibizibi Level 1

Hi everyone,

I need to remove the horizontal bar in a 'A' in order to get something like an inverted V. I know how to select the four anchor points forming this horizontal bar, but if I remove them I lose the path forming the reverse V.

What is the trick here ?

• 1. Re: Removing part of a letter
          YKCreativeArts Level 2

Use eraser tool with precision and delete the separated part.

• 2. Re: Removing part of a letter
            JETalmage Level 6
            Use eraser tool with precision...

Boy, that's a contradiction-of-terms if I ever heard one.

Z,

An "A" converted to paths is a compound path; two paths combined such that one forms a "hole" in the other. Cut across the two subpaths with the Knife tool (or Eraser, or by means of a punch Pathfinder operation involving another path as the "punch") to result in a simple (as opposed to compound) path. Then select and remove the undesired anchorPoints.

ALWAYS state what version of Illustrator you're using--the options available differ. Lookup 'compound path' in online Help. Also lookup the related issues of winding, path direction, even/odd fill rule, non-zero fill rule.

JET

• 3. Re: Removing part of a letter
              MaxieJoe Level 1

Could be I'm seeing this too simply, but why not just invert a "V"?

• 4. Re: Removing part of a letter
                Scott Falkner Level 5

MaxieJoe wrote:

Without knowing the font, there's no way to know if an upside-down V will look right. For most serif fonts, it won't. Same goes for mant sans serif faces and almost all script, blackletter, and display fonts.

• 5. Re: Removing part of a letter
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

MaxieJoe wrote:

Geeeez! Now you'retaking all th fun out of it.

The Character panel allows you to rotate a character(s) any degree in this case 180º lower right field of the unexpanded panel.

An inverted V does not usually have the same geometry of an A but is usually very , very close s it is a great solution.

But if you have the need to have fun you can

outline the character

release the compound path

drag the bottom left and right anchors of the interior triangle of the "A" so it covers the crossbar

turn it into a live color group fill the interior shapes with a fill of none

then expand the live paint group.

Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 11.23.28 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 11.23.48 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 11.24.26 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-06-05 at 11.25.10 AM.png

You can remove the additional point with the pen tool.

Not as complex as it might look.

Inverted "V" is a really smart way to go.

I just saw Scott's posting and yes in many cases that might be the case but many cases it might not be as well
                  so it is a very helpful observation.

• 6. Re: Removing part of a letter
                    JETalmage Level 6

but why not just invert a "V"?

This post is one of those exemplifying an oft-repeating question posted here by newcomers. The core of the confusion stems from lack of understanding of compound paths. That was the point of my post; not how to most efficiently draw an upside-down V.

JET

• 7. Re: Removing part of a letter
                      zibizibi Level 1

Thank you all for these solutions. Actually removing properly the horizontal bar of an 'A' is something I already did a few months ago but I don't remember how I did it, and I THINK (not sure) that I used a simpler technique than the ones explained here. However these work and are enough for me.