3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2007 5:51 AM by Nikki-6

Local vs. remote testing server?

Nikki-6
      1st post, new to dynamic web building. I have but one computer. Should I set up a local server or use my web host for the testing server?

If I use the web host, then will the host directory (in Dreamweaver site management - Ttesting Server) be something like /webtesting vs. the root /?

Thanks,
      Nikki-6
        • 1. Re: Local vs. remote testing server?
          Level 7
          > 1st post, new to dynamic web building. I have but one computer. Should I set
          > up
          > a local server or use my web host for the testing server?

You can install a server onto your computer- you don't need a dedicated
          local server on a different box.

You can also use the remote host as the local server, but it's not ideal.
          Even with broadband, there's a delay using the f12 page preview. And you
          should make sure you are previewing with "temp" pages, to make sure your
          browser previews are not going live.

>
          > If I use the web host, then will the host directory (in Dreamweaver site
          > management - Ttesting Server) be something like /webtesting vs. the root /?

If you want to set up a remote testing area in a subdirectory of your remote
          site- you may just run into confusion and complication if there are ever any
          site root relative paths in links or scripts.

Something that just flashed into my brain as possible for a remote testing
          server without harming the real remote site would be to create a subdomain
          for the testing server. Haven't done it or thought out all the implications.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Local vs. remote testing server?
            jdlee2
            I have a virtual server where I can throw all the domains I want, so I just spent $6 to buy another domain to use for a test site. My kids however have their own subdomains and have no issues using them directly so either solution seems like it would work for what you want. Subdomain is faster and easier I think.
            • 3. Re: Local vs. remote testing server?
              Nikki-6 Level 1
              Thank you both. I'll try the subdomain...assuming I can make it a nonpublic folder.