21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2010 1:08 PM by silsurf@me.com

Testing Server Confusion?

silsurf@me.com Level 1

I just updated to CS5 and decided to go ahead with a testing server.

But I realized that the testing server resolves to a slightly different path than my website does. My website is on a server grid the testing server is adding a directory level /html/ that is not visible or necessary when traveling to the site.

My site address fo rthis particular project is:

http://www.interactivehank.com/docs/otherhank/FollowTheGourd.html

I added some files to this page with links using DW5 after turning on the testin gserver and this address came up for the files:

http://www.interactivehank.com/html/docs/otherhank/otherhank_images/gourd_images/quilts.jp g

(see the /html/ before the /docs, that is where my confusion lies)

Now if I make some changes to my site, ask it to "put" all the neccessary files, they go into this testin gserver, but that seems to mess everything up.

Now, as you can see, I am an not the most proficient DW5, I can go months without even opening the program, so please bear with me.

What is the best way out of my problem? I hope I am being clear with the issues at hand.

TIA

Henry

• 1. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
          Richard_vav Level 3

Henry,

Could you tell us what settings you have used in the site setup screen, either write them down or take screen shots of the server settings

Thanks,

• 2. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
            silsurf@me.com Level 1

Dreamweaver.png

here are the server settings, they are migrated from DW CS3, but I did not turn on the "testing server" before CS 5.

TIA

Henry

• 3. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
              Richard_vav Level 3

Henry,

Is this the only server you have setup, which way did you turn on the testing server.

Richard

• 4. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                silsurf@me.com Level 1

I have four websites that all use the same server, just different direc

tories after the /html/ level.

When I updated to CS5 and the first time I ran it, it prompted me to start using the testing server function, to be completely honest I am not sure what the situation was that was asking for it, but it made it sound like I would be able to work more efficientyl by turning on the testin gserver.

Perhaps it was in connection to trying to use the "live code" feature.

Henry

• 5. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                  Richard_vav Level 3

One of the things adobe updated in cs5 is the discovery of related files, so when a file is opened it will try to identify all the related files and list them at the top of the screen so you can easily switch between them to make quick changes.

For this feature to work fully dreamweaver requires that a testing server be configured, it probably displayed a bar at the top of the page asking you to setup a testing server.  The best way of doing this on a windows machine is by downloading and installing xampp http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html which will allow you to run the testing server on your local machine without affecting your live site on the remote server.

If I understand your setup correctly you have just got the one server setup which in the site setup servers screen probably has a tick in both remote and testing, you could try unticking testing and returning your remote server settings to their original configuration, or deleting the server completely and setup a new remote server with your original settings.  Once you have your remote server sorted then you could if you wanted to go down that route install xampp and configure your testing server.

Richard

• 6. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                    silsurf@me.com Level 1

Thanks for the info.

Is there a way to use the testing server as you suggest, on the Mac platofrm?

Otherwise I may just go back to not using a testing server.

For a small poke like me, is there really much use in a testing server setup? Things were fine before I messed with it ;-)

Thaks very much for your help.

Henry

• 7. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                      Richard_vav Level 3

For macs I am told that mamp http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html is probably the best program to use for setting up a local test server.

As for wether or not you really need to setup a testing server, I would say you only really need it if you are creating a dynamic site with php or asp.  One of the main uses is for localy editing something like a wordpress blog, so you can build and test out new themes without even touching your live site.  If all you are doing is creating/editing static pages then dreamweaver will be able to detect related files without a testing server being setup just as it did in CS4.

Richard

• 8. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                        silsurf@me.com Level 1

THanks again,

I installed MAMP and it says that MySQL and MyPHP are installed and runnig. The local host address is:

http://localhost:8888/MAMP

Is that the address I would use in setting up a testing server for one of my sites?

Dreamweaver.png

Dreamweaver copy.png

I  also looked at the "Advanced" tab in the server setup and it seems appropriate to select the Server Model "PHP MySQL"

Is this all there is to it, or do I need to set up a databases in my local version of PHP and MySQL?

THanks for any guidance,

henry

• 9. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                          Richard_vav Level 3

You are correct in saying that the server model would require setting to php mysql, the web url should be set to http://localhost:8888/MAMP and the server folder should be set to whichever folder inside the mamp directory will hold your site, such as htdocs etc

As for the database, if your site uses a database you could import a backup of your existing live database into phpmyadmin or you could setup a new one, so for testing you are not affecting your live database.

Richard

• 10. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                            silsurf@me.com Level 1

That all makes sense, thanks very much.

Now comes the question that will clinch it.

How do I keep my

testing server

local sties directory (or is this now replaced by my testing server? and therefore do I need to tell DW that my testing server is also my local sites folder??)

online server

all in sync?

One of the things I noticed is that currently when I "put" files from DW, it is no longer putting the necessary files online? I think I un-checked the radio box that is always asking if I want to upload support files, so perhaps it is just a matter of discovering how to go back to the way it was.

In other words, if I make a change to an html page locally and add a image to that page, I want to make sure that DW updates my site completely. I have alwasy been very confused on how the synchronization works in DW, perhaps this is another thread, but I thought I would ask.

Again, thanks,

Henry

• 11. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                              silsurf@me.com Level 1

I have MAMP setup and it states it is running.

I have these setting sin my testing server setup, but I am getting a 404 when trying to preview the page, the files are indeed getting copied to the correct location.

Dreamweaver.png

• 12. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                Richard_vav Level 3

I would use the testing server as the local sites directory, that way your only having to sync your remote server.

To restore the dependent files prompt on get/put you need to go into the dreamweaver preferences, on the site category there are two tick boxes, make sure they are ticked and you should get the prompt about also uploading/downloading dependent files.

As for the 404 when trying to view your site, I am not too sure about that, I don't use mamp, maybe you could check out the mamp support site.

Richard

• 13. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                  silsurf@me.com Level 1

THanks again,

I think I have everything going on the site deffinition, except it seems that now when I add images from the newly defined site root, it is not making them relative to the document. I may not have my language correct, but the example is that before I would have assets point such as this

../../html/docs/otherhank/otherhank_images/gourd_images/plantation.jpg

and nbow they are point like this

../../../../../../../Applications/MAMP/htdocs/interactivehank.com/html/docs/otherhank/othe rhank_images/gourd_images/trees.jpg

I did not change anything in the site definition prefs that I know of, but of course now if I "put" the page up, the assets that are pointing towards:

../../../../../../../Applications/MAMP/htdocs/

are now uploading?

I know there is a simple answer, but I have royally screwed up my site in the past doing things likethis without asking first.

Thanks,

Henry

• 14. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                    Richard_vav Level 3

Henry,

Can you double check a few settings, if you go back into the site setup window and have a look at the local info page under advanced settings (not the server one), here you will find the settings for the default images folder, the links relative to document or site root options, and the web url.

Richard

• 15. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                      silsurf@me.com Level 1

I remembered to look at the default image folder after I posted, I made these changes, but I still think it is not correct.

Currently those settings are:

Default Images Foldler: /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/interactivehank.com/html/docs/images

Links Relative to: Document

Web URL: http;//interactivehank.com/  (this option is greyed out)

Cache is enabled

• 16. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                        silsurf@me.com Level 1

In the assets window I now see my local files and my remote fiels at exactly the same level, but the updating does not seem to work. I can drag the files from one side of the "files" window to the other (local/remote) and that works fine, but if I "put" the files, I can see the connectivity progress, but I really am not sure where they are going. I looked at my files using an ftp program and everything looks proper.

Getting very close though, I can feel it.

Henry

• 17. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                          Richard_vav Level 3

Henry,

Your advanced settings appear ok, so I have to admit I am now officially stumped.

Richard

• 18. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                            silsurf@me.com Level 1

Richard,

Everything appears ok now on my end, i think a restart of DW was needed or something. The site uploads files, etc.

Two related questions:

1. What is te best way to now keep my local and remote site in sync?

2. In DW, is there a way to easily find the exact URL of a page, the URL listed at the page is the local file address?

Thanks,

Henry

• 19. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                              Richard_vav Level 3

Henry,

I am glad that your problem has now been resolved and that your site it uploading correctly, as for which is the best way to keep the local and remote in sync I am not too sure.  The dreamweaver files panel does include a sync button, which will allow you to put all the new and/or changed files to the remote server or vise versa, I have to admit though I very rarely use it, I usually manually put or get files as I change them, maybe you could start a new thread specifically asking for opinions on this.

Now for your second question, I assume that you mean is there a way to tell in dreamweaver what the final remote url for a page will be, given that the local url is located on the dreamweaver browser navigation address bar and on the same line as the document tab.  I have to say that I have never come across anything in dreamweaver that displays the remote url for a page.

Richard

• 20. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                                silsurf@me.com Level 1

thanks very much again.

Henry

• 21. Re: Testing Server Confusion?
                                                  Richard_vav Level 3

No probs, glad to have been some help.

Richard