11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 6:25 PM by jboissinot

Saving Metadata time

jboissinot

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why saving Metadata is so long with huge PSD files. It takes some many time and sometimes I get the Windows error message "Delete Write Failed". I would like to know if there really is a link between the Metadata and the PSD size. Do you have answers according this ? Or any ideas/solutions for fixing this problem ?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Saving Metadata time
          xbytor2 Level 4

How are you saving the metadata without saving the file? Or is changing the metadata via File Info where you are seeing the slow performance?

If you are just modifying the metadata (via Bridge, for instance) there are several factors involved. Some of the metadata is stored in XMP and some of it isn't. XMP-based metadata has the nice benefit in that when the file is saved, the XMP block is padded by several thousand bytes or so. That means an app can go in and write new metadata without having to resave the image data. Plus, the file stays the same size. Modifying non-XMP metadata frequently requires rewriting the entire image file which can be a significant performance hit with very large files.

When in doubt, try exiftool.

• 2. Re: Saving Metadata time
            Michael L Hale Level 5

I have never noticed editing metadata to take much time.

Are you sure the Windows error message is not 'delay write failed'. Perhaps there is a problem with the disk you are using.

• 3. Re: Saving Metadata time
              jboissinot Level 1

Yes, I use well the XMP Object for saving Metadata without saving the PSD file. But I don't know why saving Metadata is so long with huge PSD files, because I just save some informations the user has set in a script panel.

• 4. Re: Saving Metadata time
                jboissinot Level 1

Oh yes you're right, the error message is "Delay Write Failed" because of it takes too much time for saving Metadata.

By the way, I also work on a server, do you think it can be a network issue ?

• 5. Re: Saving Metadata time
                  xbytor2 Level 4

Yep. PS has had issues when working with documents on servers. There are a lot of variables involved, but try editing the file locally and see if the symptoms change.

• 6. Re: Saving Metadata time
                    Michael L Hale Level 5

jboissinot wrote:

Oh yes you're right, the error message is "Delay Write Failed" because of it takes too much time for saving Metadata.

I think you have it backwards. It is taking too much time to save the metadata because of a disk I/O problem. I don't know if it's because it's networked or because that drive is starting to fail. But I am willing to bet if you take X's advice and save to a local drive you will see that it doesn't take much time to wirte the metadata.

As X explained most of the time the size of the file does not matter. Only the metadata section is updated and the rest of the file is left unaltered. So it takes the same amout of time to update a 20mb file as a 200mb one.

• 7. Re: Saving Metadata time
                      jboissinot Level 1

Well, I did some tests with a couple of PSD files and it's so fast while working on the C drive.

While working locally, it just takes a few secondes for saving the Metadata, but while working on the server, it takes approximately 2 min for a 500 Mo PSD file, and I get the error message "Delayed Write Failed" with a 2 Go one.

It's unbelievable to have that difference of time, but if it's a problem with Photoshop when working on servers, I am thinking about to save the write/read the Metadata in XML files.

• 8. Re: Saving Metadata time
                        Level 7

Photoshop can't edit metadata without rewriting the whole file.

Bridge can edit metadata without rewriting the file.

And the speed of saving to a server is going to be very implementation (your network, your server) dependent.

• 9. Re: Saving Metadata time
                          Michael L Hale Level 5

Chris Cox wrote:

Photoshop can't edit metadata without rewriting the whole file.

Bridge can edit metadata without rewriting the file.

I know that if you open the file in Photoshop to edit the metadata Photoshop has to write the entire file. But I thought that if you edited the metadata using the XMPLibrary then it only writes the xmp section similar to Bridge.

• 10. Re: Saving Metadata time
                            Level 7

I'm not sure it can do that inside Photoshop.

But you might want to see just how many bytes are being written to the server....

• 11. Re: Saving Metadata time
                              jboissinot Level 1

Even if I use the XMPLibrary, it's too long with huge PSD files while working on a server, and I cannot save the metadata with a 2 Go one for example.

So I finally save the metadata in a xml file, it works well and it's fast.