3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2010 2:07 AM by walterono

Color question

walterono Level 1

Forgive me if this is a naive question. I have set my camera (Canon 7D) to the Adobe colorspace, but I assumed this only affects Jpegs, because when I open raw files in Bridge they are shown as untagged RGB. However, when I open these files into Photoshop (CS5) via Camera Raw, with PS set to the Pro Photo color space, PS tells me the files have a different color space (presumably Adobe RGB) and do I wish to convert. How does this happen? How can I open an image directly into the Pro Photo color space?

• 1. Re: Color question
          xbytor2 Level 4
          I have set my camera (Canon 7D) to the Adobe colorspace, but I assumed this only affects Jpegs, because when I open raw files in Bridge they are shown as untagged RGB.

The colorspace setting in your camera only affects the jpegs, not the raws.

However, when I open these files into Photoshop (CS5) via Camera Raw, with PS set to the Pro Photo color space, PS tells me the files have a different color space (presumably Adobe RGB) and do I wish to convert. How does this happen? How can I open an image directly into the Pro Photo color space?

This has to do with your Color Settings in Photoshop.

My guess is that you have sRGB or Adobe RGB as your working RGB space and you have Profiles Mismatch: Warn When Opening set.

If you are primarily working on ProPhoto-spaced images, you probably  want your Working RGB space to be ProPhoto.

In the Color Management Policies, I have RBG, CMYK, and Gray set to Preserve Embedded Profiles and Missing and Mismatched Profiles all turned off. This gets rid off the annoying prompts.

The only one I occasionally turn on is the Pasting warning if I'm doing montages with images from diverse sources.

After you get the Color Settings panel setup the way you want, save it as as preset.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color question
            walterono Level 1

Thank you for your reply. I have my working colorspace set to ProPhoto, but if I select preserve embedded profiles and save the (untagged) raw file as a tiff or jpeg, it has the Adobe color space. The only way I can get it into the ProPhoto color space is to select convert embedded profiles. But what's there to convert if the raw was originally untagged? At what point is it picking up the Adobe tag? Does it - this has just occurred to me - have anything to do with CR defaults?

• 3. Re: Color question
              walterono Level 1

I have just realised what I am doing wrong. Camera Raw needs to be set to ProPhoto by changing the settings under the picture. I had overlooked this.