3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2010 9:00 AM by the_wine_snob

How to prepend a clip to the project

ruzun Level 1

If I want to insert a clip before everything in the timeline, and bump ALL tracks so that this clip, like bars and tone or black video, prepends the entire timeline, moving everything forward including titles etc, how do I drop it into the timeline?

If I just drag the clip to the video 1 track, it moves all of track 1 forward but not all of the audio and titles that are in video 2, video 3 etc.  What I want to be able to do is just drag a black video clip to the start of an already existing timeline and have everything bump forward together as one unit, so I have the exact same timeline but with the black video clip ahead of it all.

Is there some way to do this in CS5?

• 1. Re: How to prepend a clip to the project
          ruzun Level 1

Oh wait, I think I found a way, just hold CTRL down while dropping the clip into the timeline.  I am beginning to see if you want alternate results from a logical action, just experiment by pressing ALT and CTRL when executing the command.  I am still getting used to CS5, very much a newbie.

-Roger

• 2. Re: How to prepend a clip to the project
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Also, Premiere will usually tell you what a tool or operation does, and what modifier keys can be added to change the action. Just keep an eye on the bottom left of the application window for status messages. For example, when dragging a clip to the timeline panel, you'll see:

status_bar.png

This is a quick way to learn additional functions that you might otherwise do the "hard way." In time, these will become automatic--muscle memory is a beautiful thing (unless you edit on three different NLEs... then you're in trouble).

• 3. Re: How to prepend a clip to the project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

And Roger, when you wish that things be applied pretty much globally, make sure to Target all Tracks, where you wish for things to happen. Targeting multiple Tracks was added in CS4.

Good luck,

Hunt