15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 4:52 AM by TJmag

Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke

martcol-NqFk5p

Rogue.jpg

I use CS4.  If I move the handle on that path that sticking out thing goes away.  When I put it back again it come back.

Martin

• 1. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is the parth properly designated as closed? are there duplicate anchor points in the same location? This looks like simple overshoot which is perfectly normal for two points being very close together, but not having the proper continuity.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
            Monika Gause Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are there perhaps two points on top of each other? You could count them using the document info pallete or just move the point and see if there's another one below.

• 3. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Can you expand the layers panel and post a screen shot.

• 4. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                martcol Level 4

OK

Here's the Layers pallette:

rogue_layers.jpg

Here's a shot of a bit more of the whole thing:

rogue_more.jpg

And this one has the offending point enlarged and pulled about a bit:

rogue_pulled_about.jpg

I don't think that the path has any more points on it than you can see there.  If I put the path back to how it was the rougue thingy comes back.

And while I'm here, you can tell I'm not a graphics man, but I'm desiging a logo for a company called Connections and this is what I have so far.  It's based on a simplifcation of an old logo that was too busy really but I have spent about 80 hours on this, maybe more.  My gut tells me all the time it's not right but it won't give me any clues as to how to fix it!  Any pointers? [Edit] It's going over a Cobalt Blue background.

Don't worry about the last bit.  I don't want to presume.  Mostly I'm interested in Illustrator's ability to confuse me!

Thanks

Martin

• 5. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke

Could you perhaps paste that part of the file into a new Illustrator file and post that somewhere?

• 6. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                    martcol Level 4

I have an .ia file but notice now that there is no way to attach it.  I saved it as another file and deleted everything except the offending path.

I could show another screen shot but it's jus the same really.

Martin

• 7. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke

You could upload the file to some web server an post a link here.

• 9. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke

Thank you for the file.

Looks like you guessed right: there's something wrong with that point. It's OK in Illy CS5 by the way, but it didn't work saving it down from CS5. So I would suggest you cut that path and delete the circle. Then create a new circle and replace it.

That will be a logo so another possibility is to convert it to outlines (you would have to do that anyway with the logo). If converted to outlines (Outline stroke) it looks right as well.

• 10. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                          martcol Level 4

Many thanks Monika

I have been playing around with it for a while now and notice that selecting a bunch of object and rotating it makes various points do the same thing.

I have reduced my artboard to one quadrant of the whole desing so it's just one of the more complcated paths and a bunch of circles.  I achieved the whole design by building one part and using transform>rotate>copy to get the whole shape.  I think that I will try to do the shape again.

Regards

Martin

• 11. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                            Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Martin,

What happens if you cut the offending semicircle with the Scissors Tool and replace it by a copy of the corresponding semicircle to the lower left? You may drag over the latter with the Direct Selection Tool to select the two segments, Edit>Copy+Paste in Front, move it in place and Join at both Anchor Points (always try things out on copies of the artwork).

• 12. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                              Dave Wittekind Level 1

Not sure what's causing it but here's an easy fix.

1. Zoom in and select the offending point.

2. Drag a guide down to the top of the point's handle.

3. Use the "convert anchor" tool and drag the point out again (holding down SHIFT to constrain it vertically) until you touch the guide. Done.

• 13. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

davesink2 wrote:

Not sure what's causing it but here's an easy fix.

1. Zoom in and select the offending point.

2. Drag a guide down to the top of the point's handle.

3. Use the "convert anchor" tool and drag the point out again (holding down SHIFT to constrain it vertically) until you touch the guide. Done.

Here is a video that might sort of explain what might have happend.

However the above is correct only I discovered you do not need the convert anchor point tool just drag the handle away from the guide the extended stroke end will disappear then drag the  handle end back to where it was and all will be fine.

Here isa video that shows what might be wrong

http://gallery.me.com/wzphoto2/100133

And one that shows the odd fix discovered by Dave in a simpler form. This next one might be confusing but i think you get the point.

http://gallery.me.com/wzphoto2/100137

In any case it is weird since it does not happen in CS 5 opening the same file.

• 14. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                                  martcol Level 4

Thanks everyone for chipping in and taking an interest.

Those two video clips show the problem beautifully and are spot on with a solution.

It feels to me that what Illy is doing is not playing ball with the whoe rotate thing.  It's like one point gets left behind and the rest of the shape rotates around it?  Once the design has been completed some parts of the shape might have been rotated and reflected a number of times.

Also the tip on the guides and handles is good.  I'm afraid to admit I probably would not have thought of that myself.

Martin

• 15. Re: Rougue thingy on a Path Stroke
                                    TJmag Level 1

When I get the kind of thing you have in your first sreenshot I usually correct it by selecting "Round Join" on the stroke panel.

This only works if you don´t have any intentional sharp corners on the same path.