3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 2:05 AM by Mylenium

SWF Export; Rasterized Layer from using a simple animated mask?

Vorpal11

I'm currently animating some drawings from Illustrator in AE CS3, and exporting them as SWF's.  Everything has gone pretty well, up until I used a simple rectangular animated mask (Inverted, Mode 'Add') that revealed a layer.  Whether I have the mask directly on the layer, or have it parented on an adjustment layer, the output is horribly rasterized, but only for that layer.  I've looked at the Help Viewer and it states that masks are a supported feature of exporting to swf, but I am flummoxed how to keep the vectored images I began with.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Mike

• 1. Re: SWF Export; Rasterized Layer from using a simple animated mask?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          simple rectangular animated mask (Inverted, Mode 'Add') that revealed a layer.

Exactly the problem. SWF export only supports static masks. AE cannot convert mask animation in shape tweens

Mylenium.

• 2. Re: SWF Export; Rasterized Layer from using a simple animated mask?
            Vorpal11 Level 1

Thanks for the reply!  I had considered that fact, even though I couldn't find any documentation for it.  However, even with a static mask, drawn onto the layer, the rasterization still occurs.  Is there a way to have even a static mask produce a non-rasterized export?  It seems it should be the case considering it's a 'supported feature.'   Do I need to import vectored shapes from Illustrator as masks, instead of drawing them in AE?  And yes, Continuously Rasterize is checked (althought it doesn't seem to be necessary in any other of the Illustrator layers).   Any ideas?

Mike

• 3. Re: SWF Export; Rasterized Layer from using a simple animated mask?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Rasterization would only occur, if some element beneath is involved by ways of specific blending modes and transparency as wel las effects, of course. Also those masks only work on solids. If you use images, they wil lalso enforce rasterization. in that case you would do better to convert the files to PNGs with transparency, anaimate them in AE and use XFL export to convert it in Flash. Or you bypass AE entirely and give Flash Catalyst a spin. It was specifically created to allow animation with Flash for people who do not wnat to deal with Flash Pro.

Mylenium