In my Godaddy hosting account I set up a new FTP user so that I can give a client direct access to her website. I cannot get it to work in DW CS4. I get the following message:
"An FTP error occured. Cannot open remote folder /foldername/. Access denied. The file may not exist or there could be a permission problem."
1. The file/folder does exist.
2. I am able to FTP the files with my primary FTP username/PW
3. I can also FTP the files with the new FTP username/PW using Filezilla
4. I double (and triple) checked the new FTP user name and password in the DW site setup. I do have everything entered correctly.
5. I also tried suggestions to use the IP address, add the port to the end, etc. It all works fine if I use my primary but not with the new FTP user.
Of course Godaddy can't help because FTP works outside of DW. I know I could just use Filezilla but I want to make the site updating as easy as possible for my client.
I'd appreciate any suggestions for other things to try.
Did you try enabling/disabling Passive FTP and the Optimize FTP feature?
I had tried passive FTP and at your suggestion toggled optimize on and off (and with/without passive checked). Did not solve the problem. Thanks though.
Godaddy support came through. I had to enter the ftp address as ftp.domainname/foldername rather than putting the folder name in the "what folder on the server do you want to store your files in?"