4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2010 2:24 PM by optics42

Exe OK but htm + exe ignores cast and htm + dcr fails

optics42

I've published an .exe with a calling .htm file with Director MX.

The .exe runs OK  when double clicked in Windows explorer, but when run from the accompanying .htm the Shockwave player runs the .exe 'OK' but the external cast is ignored.

If I publish it as a .dcr + .htm,  Shockwave produces a message to the effect that the Shockwave movie has problems that prevent playback.

Is this a query for the Shockwave forum or can anyone here help?

Thank you..

• 1. Re: Exe OK but htm + exe ignores cast and htm + dcr fails
          jchunick Level 2

The executable is for running on a computer, not in a browser. You are trying to run an executable in the browsre through publishing the .exe and the .htm and this is not going to work. External casts and other external media can be used, but you need to do two things:

1. Publish a .dcr file instead of an .exe

2. Use a dswmedia folder for your external cast and assets. See here: http://www.adobe.com/support/director/internet/security/security03.html

If you are getting errors on playback with a .dcr and .htm for Shockwave n a browser then you have probably used an Xtra that is not shockwave safe or it's a security issue dealing with the point above.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exe OK but htm + exe ignores cast and htm + dcr fails
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

What is your ultimate objective: to publish a working projector; or (a set of) files that will run in a browser via the Shockwave plugin? You should not be mixing projectors and HTML pages.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Exe OK but htm + exe ignores cast and htm + dcr fails
              optics42 Level 1

Many thanks for the prompt response. I have followed the .dcr and dswmedia folder route but get the Shockwave playback error, so I will try to locate the unsafe Xtra s).

I've Googled for info but haven't located anything by way of a test for 'Shockwave Safe'...do you know if  such a test exists or is a "remove the xtras until it works" job?

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Exe OK but htm + exe ignores cast and htm + dcr fails
                optics42 Level 1

Sean, thanks for coming back. Having failed to get the .dcr to run I though running the .exe might give me a clue.

I imagined that the .exe was a chunk of code with the cast members and xtras used internally as required. It hadn't occurred to me that the Shockwave player would be looking at the cast and weeding out the xtras it objected to.

I send out cds to my students with their course material in the form of Director.exes.

The current plan is to put the files on our website for them to access. I thought that there would be problems if we provided exes to download hence  my attempt to let them run the movies from the site via the Shockwave player.

It may be the case, as jchunick suggests, that I have an unsafe Shockwave Xtra.

I'm now looking for a (quick?) means of testing which Xtras the player considers safe.