Since you do not pass an XML file as a runtime parameter to the swf, I guess that the path to the XML data is embedded into the swf code. I would guess that you have a local path statement in the AS somewhere that doesn't match the web address of the XML file or maybe the xml doesn't link to the web image files.
Hi, thanks but I'm not familiar enough with the code to understand this.
What I really don't understand is why the gallery does not work even though I've uploaded the exact same contents of the folder - so anything embedded in any of the code should be identical.
Is there something else I'm missing here? If I've misunderstood your reply could you give me some more detailed advice?
1 person found this helpful
Without seeing either your FLA/AS files or the XML, I'm rather shooting in the dark here.
Assuming that you have an XML-driven slide show, then there are three places where references to files appear: the HTML file refers to the SWF; the SWF refers to the XML file; and the XML file refers to the image files.
Somewhere in this chain it appears likely that either the relative positions are different on the web (which you say is not the case), or one or more of the links in the chain uses absolute addresses which are not recognised when uploaded.
Go carefully through the HTML, FLA and XML and see if you can see any hints in the addressing.
Hi - by process of elimination I think it must be an absolute link. The script file is correctly referenced, I can't see any incorrect references in the html or the xml so if I've understood this correctly it can only be in the swf. The problem with this is that the swf file is accessed online, I think. I've not dealt with this kind of thing before and am struggling to work out how to access it to look at it.
I'm pasting in the code from the page below - it would be great if you could have a look and let me know if you can see what I should do next.
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0','wid th','800','height','600','src','player_white','quality','high','pluginspage','http://www.m acromedia.com/go/getflashplayer','movie','player_white' ); //end AC code
</script><noscript><object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="800" height="600">
<param name="movie" value="player_white.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<embed src="player_white.swf" width="800" height="600" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>
Your swf is loading (here, at least, in IE7), so the loading code must be OK at least for IE.
I don't know what is inside your XML file. If you see some aspects of the XML being used (eg for text), then the XML file is being correctly located. If it is only part of the XML, then it is certainly to do with paths inside the XML file. If none of the XML is being read, then it is something to do with the reference inside the swf to the XML file.
FWIW, I have found that the direction of slashes in path names in XML can generate different results in different browsers. Some only like forward slashes, others aren't fussy.
Its finding the album title from the xml....so it must be something to do with the path for the images. Seems odd that it works on the local drive but not online. Trying to track it down now.
Hi...I can't see anything wrong with the path to the images in the xml - its exactly the same as the one on the local
drive and I've replicated the folder structure online exactly. Here's (part of) the xml - any idea what I could try next??
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<AlbumBook ver='1.6' title='' description='' firstAlbum='0' width='500' height='500' showThumbnails='true' thumbWidth='80' thumbHeight='80' autoStart='true' allowClick='true' clickAction='_blank' playerName='Player - Black (Flash Plugin not required)'>
<Album title='The Wind in the Willows' description='' path='use' hasThumb='false' thumbSrc='' hasBg='false' bgSrc='' bgScale='0' interval='3' useTransition='true' transType='Fade' transTime='1' firstImage='1' dispSequence='1'>
<Slide src='%2D%C2%AEhollis%5F04159%5F009.jpg' caption='' width='332' height='500' thumbWidth='53' thumbHeight='80'/>
<Slide src='%2D%C2%AEhollis%5F04159%5F018.jpg' caption='' width='332' height='500' thumbWidth='53' thumbHeight='80'/>
Well, I have got to the bottom of it.....something in the coding doesn't like the symbols in the image file names - I've tried replacing them with something simple and it works. Wish I'd thought of it hours ago, it won't catch me out again. Thankyou very much for your help and advice - its good to know that there is some support out there!
I should have thought of the filename possibility. Some characters in filenames that work locally (eg spaces) can cause problems when uploaded to an ISP server.