6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2010 3:25 PM by te-online

Is an AMD Phenom needed for Premiere Pro CS5?

te-online

Hello,

I read the system requirements of the CS5 for Windows and for me it sounds like you can't work with Premiere with an AMD Athlon:

"Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor (Intel Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II recommended); Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom II required for Adobe® Premiere® Pro" (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/systemreqs/)

I have got an 64-bit ready CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250. It's not as fast as the Phenom processors.

Will Premiere work with this processor? I am asking this, because Premiere also requires 64-bit systems and so why shouldn't it require a special CPU?

Thank you for answering.

• 1. Re: Is an AMD Phenom needed for Premiere Pro CS5?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe minimum requirements are just that.

Minimum should in most cases be enough to install. If you want to use the program, minimum is not enough. The suggested requirements may work for DV, but will be insufficient for HDV, AVCHD or similar.

• 2. Re: Is an AMD Phenom needed for Premiere Pro CS5?
            te-online Level 1

OK, thank you for your answer.

When I've downloaded the 7.8 GB trial of the master collection I'll see whether I can install the program or not.

But I already had installed the trial of Premiere Pro CS4 and cutting of HD Videos (I didn't test AVCHD) worked fine, so I was a little bit surprised when I saw these requirements. And also because there isn't such a big difference between better Athlon (I now that mine is not the best one ;-)) and Phenom processors, in my opinion.

I'll post my experiences after I've installed the trial.

• 3. Re: Is an AMD Phenom needed for Premiere Pro CS5?
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Take a look at these benchmark results and see that your Athlon II X2 250 does not appear on this benchmark results page and the only AMD results are at the bottom of the chart.  I think that, AMD since they have not yet implemented the Full SSE4 instruction set they are not a great chip for Premiere software, and this is from a former AMD supporter as this is being written on an old AMD processor.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is an AMD Phenom needed for Premiere Pro CS5?
                te-online Level 1

I think my processor is not made for professional video editing exspecially in HD. But I think that it however should be possible. And I also think that Intel has very good processor and AMD, too. And I know that editing with Premiere and the best Intel processor from your list may be very easy in contrast to editing with my computer. But I don't think that a software should be only written for a few CPUs that not everyone can pay for.

Everyone who tries to work with videos with a slow processor will notice that he should have hardware in his computer after a short time.

And because I want to buy CS5 in future and I will also change my operating system to 64 bit because I want to work with Premiere and After Effects I wanted to know whether the installer says "No, your CPU is too bad." like he says when you have one that only can run 32 bit software. I can handle long waiting times when Premiere is generating a preview ;-)

Or did I get your post wrong?

• 5. Re: Is an AMD Phenom needed for Premiere Pro CS5?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It sounds like you are trying to cut roast-beef with a screwdriver. About the same as using words to describe magic.

• 6. Re: Is an AMD Phenom needed for Premiere Pro CS5?
                    te-online Level 1

Hello again,

@ Bill Gehrke: Thanks for your hint. I now realized that to buy an AMD Athlon wasn't very clever, because I don't want to upgrade my PC in 3 months again. So I went to the computer shop and changed my Athlon to a Phenom. This was a very good decision. Now also AVCHD editing works fine with Premiere Pro CS5 ;-).

@ Harm Millaard: I didn't remember saying things about cutting roast-beef ;-). But you are right, this discussion here wasn't really necessary. I think Premiere CS5 would have worked with the Athlon, too (I didn't try it), but with the Phenom it works much better.

And to give this thread a good end I want to quotate Germany's most popular computer magazine c't. The quotation is from the article about the new CS5 in magazine no. 13 2010: "Richtig bleibt: Für After Effects kann es nie genug Leistung sein." In english: "And still correct is: For After Effects there can't be enough power."

This you can transfer to Premiere Pro, too, I think.

Greetings

samohtt