7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2010 2:59 PM by Colin Brougham

CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?

Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't know if this is just a function of my aging computer, or if there is legitimate weirdness happening here, but I'm finding that dragging any parameter's "hot text" adjustment is very laggy. The numbers don't start changing for a couple of moments, and by the time they do, I've dragged so far away that the adjustment jumps way past the point I would have liked. I can can drag back (while keeping the mouse button depressed) but this is definitely not optimal, and is certainly different than CS4.

OK, just tested this out this out on my laptop (somewhat newer than my workstation) and I don't have the problem there. On the workstation, I've found that if I click and drag slowly, then the parameter never changes at all. I can literally drag all the way across the screen and have no effect. If I drag rapidly, the parameter starts changing suddenly.

I don't have any funky mouse drivers or Intellipoint installed. It doesn't seem to matter what the parameter is, or the type of source footage. However, I don't experience the problem if I drag a timecode value/display, like in the Source/Program Monitor or in the Timeline Panel.

Any thoughts here?

• 1. Re: CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

Usually issues with operations, like scrubbing in a dialog box, are related directly to the video driver. Have you updated to the latest? One caveat, some users have had issues with the VERY latest nVidia and ATI drivers, and have actually had to roll-back those drivers.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Yeah, I've got an ATI card (my last!) and the latest drivers (Catalyst 10.5). These solved stuttering playback, but might have introduced a new issue Guess I'll have to wait until 10.6 to see if there's any joy.

Stupid ATI.

Thanks Bill....

• 3. Re: CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

And, it could not have a rat's posterior to do with your issue, but IS the first place that I'd look.

If you have, or have access to the earlier ATI Catalyst drivers, you might want to test. There was a post, not that long ago, where a user (Harm?) listed the Catalyst drivers, that did work. Seems that there were about 2-3 newer ones with issues.

Also, I'd poke around my Catalyst Console (actually, I would poke around my nVidia console, but you get the point.), and just see what setting might have some affect. Just as you mentioned mouse drivers, most higher-end video drivers have tons of settings, and not all of 'em play-nice with all programs. Though I think it's been removed in Win7, Hardware Acceleration could have some really negative effects, as can/could OpenGL. As you know, CS5 is currently above my pay grade, so there could well be other things that might interfere.

Good luck, and please let us know what solves the issue for you,

Hunt

• 4. Re: CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Till recently I used an ATI HD4870 on a dual monitor setup. I had no problems with any of the recent versions, but for the HD5xxx series there was a serious problem with 10.2, which required a patch update (very unusual for ATI) to be issued within a week. My latest version was 10.5 and had no problems at all. The great thing about ATI is that there is consistency in the driver names/versions, they come out like clockwork and with very few exceptions work as advertised. There have been stories about users reverting to version 9.8 (august last year) to regain stability, but I have never needed that approach.

nVidia could learn a thing or two from ATI, They use different version numbers for different cards, their beta versions are extremely buggy and one always wonders when a new version is available.

• 5. Re: CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Colin,

If I understand you correctly, you are talking about:

6-6-2010 23-05-43.jpg

That is indeed a reported bug. There is way to much delay before anything happens and then you are way past where you intended to go. That is not in any way related to the video driver. It also happens on MPE cards.

It will not hurt to file a BR (bug report) again.

• 6. Re: CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sad that it is a Bug, but is very nice to know. Would assume that it will be fixed soon, as it would be major, at least to most.

Thanks for reporting,

Hunt

PS - Colin, that might save you a bit of hair...

• 7. Re: CS5: Laggy "hot text" dragging?
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Harm,

Thanks for the confirmation; that's exactly where I'm seeing it... at least, on my HP xw6400 workstation (dual Xeons from seemingly eons ago, 6GB RAM, ATI 4670 1GB). Anything that appears as timecode (including in the effects control panel) doesn't suffer the same malady. Additional, dragging the actual effect control sliders/wheels causes no delay.

Interestingly, my Lenovo laptop (Core2Duo P8400 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI 3650 512MB) does NOT exhibit this behavior, either in the control/effect parameters or timecode scrubbers. This would indeed indicate that it's not a GPU issue, and I'll have to take your word on the drivers--my workstation is using 10.5, but the laptop is running a vendor-customized package that uses 9.7, and can't easily be updated. I'll most certainly file a bug report... it's a touch annoying.

Thanks again.