6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2010 12:14 AM by thenoisystuff

Erase a corrupted file from Premier without opening

bbuie1

Is there any way to erase a corrupted file from Premiere without opening it?  Choosing to "Skip" the file when it asks for its location does not help.  It is still on the timeline and freezing up the opening process.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Erase a corrupted file from Premier without opening
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Two things to try:

1. Temporarily take the file offline; in other words, move it to a different directory and don't let Premiere relink to it when you reopen the project. Then, you can purge the clip from the project.
          2. Import your project into a new project. If it's the clip reference that is wonky, and not the file itself, that should correct the situation.
          • 2. Re: Erase a corrupted file from Premier without opening
            thenoisystuff Level 1

Just interested...why are you assuming a particular file is corrupt?  What makes you think one file is corrupt as opposed to another? 

If you think a particular file is suspect, try changing its name in Explorer to XXXXXXB before opening Premiere. (you can always revert back) Said programme should then open asking for its whereabouts. But the timeline shouldn't freeze and you have your answer as to whether it is the problem.

One tip that works quite often - open the folder containing your project media in ICON form.  A corrupt file will not show a thumbnail.  This is often a good way of determining good media from bad.

If this doesn't work, you might have a corrupt render file within Premiere.  Try deleting the render file for this area of the timeline or perhaps the whole timeline render.

Try this first.  If this doesn't work we can consider whether you have a sequence or project related corruption and then take it further.

• 3. Re: Erase a corrupted file from Premier without opening
              bbuie1 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I used the term "corrupted" in a very loose way.  The file is not officially corrupt but it is the one that was hanging up the program.  What was weird is that my auto backup copy (which I am now using) was only 31 megs where as the ppro file that was hanging was 110. Not sure how it almost quadrupled in size?

How do I go about deleting rendered files?

• 4. Re: Erase a corrupted file from Premier without opening
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only "project bloating" reference I've seen before was with a CS4 project opened in CS5... is that what you have?

• 5. Re: Erase a corrupted file from Premier without opening
                  bbuie1 Level 1

Yes, it was a CS4 project that was brought into CS5.  I have been building it for a few weeks with no problems or crashes at all - then all of sudden the bloating occured.

• 6. Re: Erase a corrupted file from Premier without opening
                    thenoisystuff Level 1

Choose sequence and either DELETE RENDER FILES (the whole lot!) or DELETE WORK AREA RENDER FILES (just the portion you think may be causing the problem.

Another question...are you running any third party plug-ins?  Also, are you importing any psds or jpegs that are oversize?